Pregnancy And Parenting

Thanks folks, here we are again. I think we'll look at the side sleeping crib to try and help as opposed to her basket - she seems to settle a lot better in the actual bed but this really restricts one of our abilities to sleep to keep an eye on her- progress is progress though.

Also struggling for her to do what I would consider a normal poo, had the distinct pleasure of the first few tar like ones and green one but since then only a couple of what was more yellow and watery type poos. Not too bothered by it as we are getting plenty of wet and I'm led to believe by others that it can be normal for breast fed babies to be a bit like this but it certainly goes against what all the books and magazines they give out suggests.

Got to say, never tell your wife that looking after a baby all day is easy! 

Wife went off to Rome this morning with her auld man for a couple of days (they're Italian) leaving me with our 14 month old daughter and my god it's knackering haha! 

Took her to her first Clyde game today which she enjoyed and so did I and her big brother 😂

But now, honestly one of my favourite bits about being a Dad. Taking the wee baby to bed at night, got her snuggled into me and whilst I should be just putting her in her cot, it's an amazing feeling having her laying all feeling secured on me 😍

Kids are hard work at the best of times but you never realise how much you can love something as much as you do with your kids 😊

Midwife been today and done the heel test etc, she's lost 10% of her weight which she said does happen but is on the high end of what they would like so they are happy that we moved to combo feeding last night. She just wasn't staying latched and we weren't getting enough nappies.

I feel so helpless for the wife but she's taken it in her stride today as having the bottle overnight meant she could sleep properly and I took care of the feeds and after a few wee wobbles yesterday when it wasn't working she has remembered how much she said she wasn't going to be hung up on BF if it wasn't working.

Easier said than done.

Wee yin has gained some weight and midwifes much happier with her now.

Wife is struggling a bit with the lack of bf but hopefully the improved pump arrives soon and she can get back to pumping and mixing the feeds again- think a lot of her issue is the pain and only having a wee rubbish hand pump to do the job.

I struggled to breastfeed and the conflicting advice when son lost weight didn’t help. The ‘support’ groups should be renamed ‘judgement’ groups.

Had traumatic post birth with the third and consultants and midwives said I was too ill to feed her. Took so much stress away.

With first two undoubtedly issues feeding and feeling of being judged contributed to some pnd (but I’ve issues anyway).

Baby 3 is due 2 weeks on Saturday (that's flown in). Wife's bump is sitting very low and the midwives said they expect to see her before her next appointment on Monday, so we're a bit on edge here. At the point now where we want it to happen as soon as really, and give us a good amount of time to settle in to a routine before our other two are off school for the October holidays.

22 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Baby 3 is due 2 weeks on Saturday (that's flown in). Wife's bump is sitting very low and the midwives said they expect to see her before her next appointment on Monday, so we're a bit on edge here. At the point now where we want it to happen as soon as really, and give us a good amount of time to settle in to a routine before our other two are off school for the October holidays.

Best wishes to yer Mrs - the last week or two is a right b*****d.  Oh and advanced welcome to the 'more than two weans' club.  P&B does seem to be unusually fecund and a fair few of us qualify.  

I struggled to breastfeed and the conflicting advice when son lost weight didn’t help. The ‘support’ groups should be renamed ‘judgement’ groups.
Had traumatic post birth with the third and consultants and midwives said I was too ill to feed her. Took so much stress away.
With first two undoubtedly issues feeding and feeling of being judged contributed to some pnd (but I’ve issues anyway).

I've found the whole breastfeeding thing to be very judgy, and whilst I totally appreciate that science does say it is of benefit to the child, the impact it has on the mother if it doesn't go right seems to be huge.

Does it benefit the child that much? My wee one had to be bottle fed, she was losing weight constantly because she just refused to latch on. So after 2/3 weeks of constant pressure from all medical professionals my wife, in floods of tears, decided to stop and switch to premade bottles. Wee one loved them and she thrived. With the exception of chicken pox, broken ankle and an op on her eye she is perfectly healthy.

it was tough watching the wife go through all that and I was disgusted at actions of the health professionals and the sheer amount of pressure they put on her even when it was obvious the wee one was struggling.

The other thing that pissed me off was because the government wants you to breast feed they don’t allow supermarkets to give deals/discounts on formula.

Does it benefit the child that much? My wee one had to be bottle fed, she was losing weight constantly because she just refused to latch on. So after 2/3 weeks of constant pressure from all medical professionals my wife, in floods of tears, decided to stop and switch to premade bottles. Wee one loved them and she thrived. With the exception of chicken pox, broken ankle and an op on her eye she is perfectly healthy.

it was tough watching the wife go through all that and I was disgusted at actions of the health professionals and the sheer amount of pressure they put on her even when it was obvious the wee one was struggling.

The other thing that pissed me off was because the government wants you to breast feed they don’t allow supermarkets to give deals/discounts on formula.
I think that the evidence suggests that children grow up with a load of small (but important) percentage benefits (especially immune system related).

But you're right - there's a balance. There was a time (I'm guessing 70s/80s) when parents chose the easy option of bottle feeding and they've had to overcome that bias. Definitely gone too far in some cases.

My wife only managed a few weeks of breast feeding for both kids before realising it simply wasn't working. There was a bit of internal guilt but fortunately we didn't feel any pressure from any professional quarters. It's ultimately your decision, so f**k anyone trying to add extra guilt.

My eldest fed longest, sept baby, deffered school entry, development delays. dyspraxia and dyslexia. He’ll prob grow up to me a ass guy!

Youngest bottle fed, feb baby school and nurseries were like you are not defecting that child!! She way ready. She’s also hard as nails and never ill. 

Yes the research says it’s best but when it’s broken down the percentages are tiny. Which I see now.

Aye, luckily the midwifes we have seen so far since we made the choice to shift to combi feeds have been supportive but I've heard the horror stories of others.

It's a minefield and this is said as a guy without the added hormonal pressures.

IMG_20190831_154456.thumb.jpg.02e2a65ebf6600951bb6f7c89e77f16f.jpgSakura had a CT Scan the other week and it came back showing no relapse. That's 2 years since she finished her treatment, a major milestone but just another step along a long road is how I treat it. The Pediatrician is now suggesting that she has a scan once a year as opposed to twice.....not sure how I feel about this.

Anyway, here she is with our new dog, Welsby.

Edited by sjc

On 08/09/2019 at 12:21, MP_MFC said:

Midwife been today and done the heel test etc, she's lost 10% of her weight which she said does happen but is on the high end of what they would like so they are happy that we moved to combo feeding last night. She just wasn't staying latched and we weren't getting enough nappies.

I feel so helpless for the wife but she's taken it in her stride today as having the bottle overnight meant she could sleep properly and I took care of the feeds and after a few wee wobbles yesterday when it wasn't working she has remembered how much she said she wasn't going to be hung up on BF if it wasn't working.

Easier said than done.

We were the same, our baby lost more than 10% of her birthweight and the midwife made a call to the hospital to see if she should go back in. Like yours, they suggested combo feeding for a few days but that led to constipation and the wee one not in a great mood but after a few days the breastfeeding got better and we ditched the formula again. 

A month in however my wife was in agony, not much sleep and painful nipples which obviously got worse when wee baby was feeding but it seemed to happen overnight that the pain went away and feeding became very easy. Just as I was telling her not to feel bad about giving up and going to bottle she pushed herself and got past the pain.

A downside we found to breast feeding was the wee one would only go to sleep at night with my wife taking her to bed and also she refused to take a bottle even with expressed stuff! Tried so many bottles and it never worked. 

Shy of her 1st birthday she had a wee cold and couldn't latch onto my wife anymore, then it was the right time we felt to stop the feeding and now she'll just drink water from a sippy cup. She now goes to bed with me taking her and she's no longer heavily clingy to mummy now. 

Definitely pros and cons to breastfeeding but the pros definitely out weight the many cons. 

Kudos to the girls who do it, I know I couldn't... 

8 hours ago, sjc said:

IMG_20190831_154456.thumb.jpg.02e2a65ebf6600951bb6f7c89e77f16f.jpgSakura had a CT Scan the other week and it came back showing no relapse. That's 2 years since she finished her treatment, a major milestone but just another step along a long road is how I treat it. The Pediatrician is now suggesting that she has a scan once a year as opposed to twice.....not sure how I feel about this.

Anyway, here she is with our new dog, Welsby.

Aye, you'd probably want a scan every month - I know I would! - but it's progress, she's obviously recovering/in remission, try and look on it as a positive.