Pregnancy And Parenting

Gumtree/Facebook marketplace for prams - we got a £600 pram for £100 with all the bits to keep using it till he's a toddler. I don't know why anyone would buy new.

Like anything you can easily get ripped off on gumtree and buy shite. I would still have rather a second hand pram, next 2 me bed and cot but the mrs insisted we got them all new and we got given money exclusively for baby stuff, we still have them for the second child and can sell them on and get a good bit for them all when we’re done firing them out so it’s not always bad to buy the essential things new.

We got given a bumble seat and jumperoo off a relative and I flogged them both on gumtree for £50 last weekend which was nice. The bumble seat had a toy missing from it and the woman messaged me about where it was, I said it was long gone and offered to reimburse her £5 for the inconvenience and she bit the hand off me. The cow.

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

It's folk that buy a new pram for every child they have despite there being nothing wrong with their original pram. I've used the pram we got for Catherine for Fraser. f**k spending another £500+ everytime. 

I used to get my sisters' hand-me-downs. Being 7 and having to wear trousers with the zip down the side wasn't fun. Surprising I didn't turn into Gunther or WTM tbh.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I used to get my sisters' hand-me-downs. Being 7 and having to wear trousers with the zip down the side wasn't fun. Surprising I didn't turn into Gunther or WTM tbh.

My youngest now ‘hands down’ to her big sister!

45 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

So much this - my missus went to one and said she wanted to combination feed so I could help out, and the woman running it said "so what I'm hearing from you is you want to exclusively breastfeed every 2 hours". Never went back, wee guy is absolutely fine on a mix.

Have to say mum & baby group experience has been a bit hit and miss as well. Sometimes there's lovely folk there but other times it can be ridiculously cliquey, baffling.

My wee boy wasn’t gaining weight. Was 4lb 11 having started at 5lb 7oz. Each midwife that came in (we had them visit for a full month due weight gain) disagreed about topping up. I persevered, went to support group etc. Finally at 6 weeks my gp was like you need to give him a bottle he needs more than he’s getting. After my second I ended up needing a bit of therapy to get over the guilt of not being able to feed myself,

My third nearly killed me so everyone was like, she needs bottle fed you won’t produce milk for days as you’re so ill!!

The one whom I persevered feeding with is one with development delays. The one who never saw a tit in her life went school at 4.5! None of the are obese and all in good health (apart from the allergies one arrived on planet with).

Nah. It's a sleeping bag. Who cares what it looks like. If it fits him he is sleeping in it.

Suppose so, clothes are best bought second hand and the amount you can spend on clothes that will be worn twice is obscene! I have a few friends who give me clothes as hand me downs as they have girls a bit older than mine and it’s saved is a fortune. My mrs will still not think twice of buying a cute outfit for £30 as an impulse buy though.

7 minutes ago, Rowan said:

My wee boy wasn’t gaining weight. Was 4lb 11 having started at 5lb 7oz. Each midwife that came in (we had them visit for a full month due weight gain) disagreed about topping up. I persevered, went to support group etc. Finally at 6 weeks my gp was like you need to give him a bottle he needs more than he’s getting. After my second I ended up needing a bit of therapy to get over the guilt of not being able to feed myself,

My third nearly killed me so everyone was like, she needs bottle fed you won’t produce milk for days as you’re so ill!!

The one whom I persevered feeding with is one with development delays. The one who never saw a tit in her life went school at 4.5! None of the are obese and all in good health (apart from the allergies one arrived on planet with).

Hate feeding nazis!

Catherine had formula from day 2. With Fraser being premature I thought I'd try breastfeeding. I pumped every 3 hours, bloody exhausting. I also let him have donor milk when I wasn't producing enough. I was absolutely gutted I had to stop because of the chemotherapy as I was so worried his gut wasn't ready for formula but you know what he was absolutely fine and has thrived on it. There is far too much pressure on mums to feed the "right" way.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

Suppose so, clothes are best bought second hand and the amount you can spend on clothes that will be worn twice is obscene! I have a few friends who give me clothes as hand me downs as they have girls a bit older than mine and it’s saved is a fortune. My mrs will still not think twice of buying a cute outfit for £30 as an impulse buy though.

I'm with your Mrs on the clothes thing. Can't help myself. I try to sell all their clothes once they've grown out of them though.

Hate feeding nazis!
Catherine had formula from day 2. With Fraser being premature I thought I'd try breastfeeding. I pumped every 3 hours, bloody exhausting. I also let him have donor milk when I wasn't producing enough. I was absolutely gutted I had to stop because of the chemotherapy as I was so worried his gut wasn't ready for formula but you know what he was absolutely fine and has thrived on it. There is far too much pressure on mums to feed the "right" way.
Both of ours were formula fed. Mrs B would have been easily guilted by others but fortunately it never happened, and she never doubted herself at all woth BB2.

This approach had my backing from day one without question and id have been well ready for anyone who had anything to say about it. 100% a parental choice and anyone who says otherwise can GTF

£600 for a pram that you are going to use every day for 2 + years for 2 or more kids with a car seat which will do them up to about a year also really isn’t silly money when you can sell the thing on for £200 once you’re done with it.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
600 pound for a pram ? I'm surely in the majority in saying we spent nowhere near that price.

Silly price for a pram but each to their own.

You can easily, and more often than you might think, double that.

Aye, I bought mine for just under a grand. Got two kids use out of it but my Missus won’t allow it to be sold as she’s a sentimental cow. 

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

We paid in region of 250-300 for ours. Genuinely thought was less but after speaking to wife this is what she said she paid. Kept it for both ours and then the pram got handed into the local charity shop.

This seems like the sensible approach. Like I said, looking back I wouldn’t do it again. I guess you just get caught up in the excitement of it all. 

Last year when I took the kids to Disneyland, I bought a double buggy from Gumtree for £25. I couldn’t believe how good a nick it was in. Once we got back I donated it to the church nursery. 

You can sell a second hand pram for 200 pound ?
That is impressive.

And for me personally it's silly money as that's three quarters of my wage.
Like I said its each to their own on what they buy.

Im just judging on what they go on gumtree for. Each to their own as you say but when it comes to things that you’re going to use every day for years it’s not a bad idea to spend good money on it, when it’s something like a jumperoo which they’ll use for a few months then I really don’t know why anyone would buy brand new.

£600 for a pram that you are going to use every day for 2 + years for 2 or more kids with a car seat which will do them up to about a year also really isn’t silly money when you can sell the thing on for £200 once you’re done with it.

That's pretty much our plan. Plus my dad bought the thing in the first place a as a gift so we will end up in profit.