Pregnancy And Parenting

4 hours ago, Rugster said:

Catherine decided to take a header off the bed today when she tried to sit down on it by jumping in the air and didn't realise it would shoot her away like a bouncey ball. Bloodied nose and lots of tears and screaming. Lunatic. 

Fraser is getting stronger every day. Long way to go still, but tomorrow he'll be two weeks old and is back over his birth weight and has no tubes on him now other than his feeding tube. Wee fighter. 

Say this in a Jack Jarvis voice. "Worried? Fraser will make an arse of us all":P

Our second son was born on Tuesday just after 2am, delivered by my wife. She was walking around the room and saying that she was having a strong contraction, her waters broke so I pushed the button for assistance, I hurried to the door to get someone and as the midwife came in she screamed that my wife had a baby. I turned around and she was standing with him in her arms, visibly in shock and shaking. I freaked out a bit because this all happened within seconds. Both are fine and healthy thankfully!

14 hours ago, Rugster said:

Catherine decided to take a header off the bed today when she tried to sit down on it by jumping in the air and didn't realise it would shoot her away like a bouncey ball. Bloodied nose and lots of tears and screaming. Lunatic. 

Fraser is getting stronger every day. Long way to go still, but tomorrow he'll be two weeks old and is back over his birth weight and has no tubes on him now other than his feeding tube. Wee fighter. 

:thumsup2

16 hours ago, Rugster said:

Neonatal care is superb.    Fraser is clearly thriving and breathing for himself, but it's peace of mind to know they've oxygen there for any destat.   

Hopefully you've been claiming Neonatal expenses?    I think my biggest claim was around £115 a week.  

Currently sitting on the train humming of spew. 

Got the over night ferry with my 5 year old boy and we were just going to have a kip on the couches but a truck driver gave us a ticket to get a cabin and meal as he was going to sleep in his cab.  Had a bit of grub in the truckers restaurant and Got to the room and there was 4 single beds so the boy wanted to go on top bunk and me underneath. Then another truck driver across on the bottom bunk. About 10 minutes after lights out the boy said he wanted the toilet kind of panicky so I shot up to lift him down as he spewed chunks over my shoulder landing on the guys bed. Then another load came up which I was ready for and caught with my hands, padding it onto floor where our coats shoes and bags sat. He's been sick three more times on the train into brown paper bags

16 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Currently sitting on the train humming of spew. 

Got the over night ferry with my 5 year old boy and we were just going to have a kip on the couches but a truck driver gave us a ticket to get a cabin and meal as he was going to sleep in his cab.  Had a bit of grub in the truckers restaurant and Got to the room and there was 4 single beds so the boy wanted to go on top bunk and me underneath. Then another truck driver across on the bottom bunk. About 10 minutes after lights out the boy said he wanted the toilet kind of panicky so I shot up to lift him down as he spewed chunks over my shoulder landing on the guys bed. Then another load came up which I was ready for and caught with my hands, padding it onto floor where our coats shoes and bags sat. He's been sick three more times on the train into brown paper bags

Is this real, did I read that? Is it normal practice to accept accommodation from a stranger, then share that accommodation with another stranger...With a child in tow. That's before the vomiting issue.

It's like a story from the great depression.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Currently perched high atop the soft play, presumably looking like a right bellend as my ome year old ignores my attempts to get her to climb and continues doing her own thing....20181001_130715.jpg

I love a soft play, I’ve been telt to calm/come down many times, crack on yourself, she’ll be fine 

My wife miscarried this week, we found out yesterday at the 12-week scan. She had heard the heartbeat on Monday as well. 

We've had a lot of miscarriages before (had one last year at 5 weeks) but none this late.

We hadn't planned on having another kid but had become quite attached to the idea, so a sad time.

29 minutes ago, Gaz said:

My wife miscarried this week, we found out yesterday at the 12-week scan. She had heard the heartbeat on Monday as well. 

We've had a lot of miscarriages before (had one last year at 5 weeks) but none this late.

We hadn't planned on having another kid but had become quite attached to the idea, so a sad time.

Horrific.

My wife and I have been through this a few times at varying stages of pregnancies also. It doesn't get any easier. Stick in.

42 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Sorry to hear this mate. Be strong and there for one another and you'll get through this.

Gambatte.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Sorry to hear this gaz,  been through it also, keep your heads up 

Shite thing to happen at any time. When it happened to us I was blown away by just how common it actually is. I guess its just not something folk talk about much given how horrible a subject it is. That was before our first one was born and Mrs B fell pregnant again pretty quickly after it happened so that one was a nerve wracker for a good while.

The hardest thing I found was accepting the fact that although we had both suffered it, its so so different for a woman because they feel like its their fault or that their body has failed their child. So to a certain extent I felt like I put my feelings to one side in order to focus on her.

The midwife told us that its more often than not simply the bodies natural way of dealing with a non viable pregnancy which tbh was all I needed to hear to maybe get some acceptance of why it had happened.

Condolences

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The midwife told us that its more often than not simply the bodies natural way of dealing with a non viable pregnancy which tbh was all I needed to hear to maybe get some acceptance of why it had happened.

That's what I was told, too. Small comfort, I suppose.

We've been toilet training my wee boy for the last 6 weeks or so.  He figured out pishing early doors, but going for a jobby has been more problematic. 

After one early success that I think was more by accident than design it's been at least one accident every day with him refusing point blank to go even when we could see he was desperate.

Tonight whilst sitting in the bath he announced that he needed a poo.  Got him out and on the lavvy and he unleashed a dreadnought that I would have been proud of.  I dunno if the tears in my eyes were from the smell or a feeling of pride.

Probably both, tbh. 

We've been toilet training my wee boy for the last 6 weeks or so.  He figured out pishing early doors, but going for a jobby has been more problematic. 
After one early success that I think was more by accident than design it's been at least one accident every day with him refusing point blank to go even when we could see he was desperate.
Tonight whilst sitting in the bath he announced that he needed a poo.  Got him out and on the lavvy and he unleashed a dreadnought that I would have been proud of.  I dunno if the tears in my eyes were from the smell or a feeling of pride.
Probably both, tbh. 
We had mega bother with the shiting that has only just started to calm down. I still laugh at myself as I make a huge fuss over her, and also when she announces to anyone who will listen that "I DID A POO IN THE TOILET!!!!"

My daughter was a strange one to toilet train. She point blank refused to use a potty. I remember her walking around in her nappy, desperate to shite but almost unable to, before unleashing it. Then, when it was filled she hated having the nappy on and wanted changed right away.

My wife and I eventually decided on a plan. She got up one morning and we told here there were no more nappies. We put pants on her, expecting the worst. She held on till about 3pm then went to the toilet (never ever used the potty). After that she only had 2 accidents.

A marked difference to my son who had the usual weaning off nappies and on to potties, followed by a few months of fairly regular accidents, especially at night.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Not been on for a while. Didn't really know what thread to put this in but this one seemed most appropriate given wee Fraser's role in it all. I'm just copying and pasting what I've put on my Facebook page below rather than type it all out differently. This is like our wee P & B family in this thread so wanted you to know. Hannah is Honest Saints Fan just for anyone who doesn't know that. 

Apologies in advance but this will be a long and personal post, but stay with me please. Social media these days is the simplest way to share news with those around you who don't already know what's been happening through family. I'll start with the really good news. Fraser is absolutely thriving in SCBU. He is over 5lbs in weight today, and is regularly taking a bottle feed. The wee bleed on his brain has cleared up and he is getting stronger every day and is a right wee monkey. 

Now for the good news. As many of you will know, Hannah has been in chronic pain with a number of issues for the last 20 weeks or so. Back pain, chest pain, fatigue, anaemia, and a compete lack of mobility. We've done everything to try and get to the bottom of it, or we thought we had. Again, as many of you will know she was rushed to hospital on Thursday with a severe bleeding episode and on Monday she underwent surgery to clear remaining product from her womb that was left behind after the delivery of Fraser. Meantime, there were some strange blood results showing some problems with her kidney function and all sorts of investigations were going on. The good news is they've got to the bottom of what has been causing all her pain and associated issues and it can be tacked head on and give her some relief and restore a quality of life which she has been badly lacking recently. 

Now for the not so good news. I said on Thursday that every time you climb that mountain, there's another one left to climb, well we've just been taken from the top of K2 and plonked at the bottom of Everest. I'm devastated to say that Hannah has been diagnosed with an extremely rare, particularly for her age (normally only affects over 60 year olds, and mainly men) form of blood cancer. It is called Myeloma. It is generated in the bone marrow and is not currently curable. It is highly treatable though. She was diagnosed on Tuesday just past and partial treatment started almost immediately. More treatment will start next week, and on Monday she will undergo more surgery under general anaesthetic to remove 7 of her teeth (as if she's not been through enough already!) as the treatment will affect healing of the mouth sockets in coming years should she need an extraction, so it's much safer to remove any potential issues ahead of time. The full chemo and associated treatment will start quickly thereafter and will move up in intensity as time passes. In her favour is her age which allows the more intense treatment, and as usual her unbelievably positive attitude. This has without doubt been devastating news and a massive shock, and whilst it is still sinking in we are being very positive and are ready to tackle this b*****d head on. 

Fraser has saved Hannah's life. If he hadn't come early, and she didn't have the bleed on Thursday then who knows how long this would have gone undetected.

We want people to know. We don't want to hide it. We don't want anyone to treat Hannah or any of us any differently. All we ask for is your friendship and support as we fight it. We will do that as a family unit and we will live every day to its fullest. The hospital staff have been beyond magnificent with us, finding me accommodation to stay on the hospital grounds and all sorts of other help they have given. Our amazing daughter Catherine, whilst too young to know the details, knows mummy is unwell and has just been amazing with it all. 

I love my wife so much and cannot fathom how she has coped with what she has done recently but now we know what it is, and while it is obviously not what we wanted to hear at least we can deal with it and get her fighting fit again soon. 

It's good to talk. We've spoken to a lot of family, friends and medical people about this since Tuesday and every time we do it is cathartic. So we wanted to share it on here for those who did not already know. Thanks if you're still reading. 

Lots of love. Hannah, Robert, Catherine and Fraser xxx.