Pregnancy And Parenting

My son who was fed the longest has developmental issues. 

middle one who was fed a bit food allergies, eczema 

littlest one, bottle fed, hard as nails, 2 of last 3 stomach bugs big two have had she didn't get, never ill, no allergies and is going to school at 4.5. 

totally anictotal but there you go

Wife tried breastfeeding and lasted a day. He puked a little bile during the night and was blue lighted to the sick kids soon as i arrived the next day ( had mother in law over and a cat to feed so after 40 hours from leaving bed decided to return to it. Good idea at time. Not so when parent needs to accompany and he was an emergency section)
One barium meal and a few xrays to see if stomach had twisted and then back. The dose of barium was larger than he had been getting from breast and was always looking for more.
Bottles from 2nd feed after we got back.

Oh and if you are the old bint who almost side swiped the ambulance with the lights flashing and sirens I hope you suffer hedgehogs as jobbies until you pass

17 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I agree with pretty-much everything you said and what others have said re. breastfeeding.  The only caveat I'd make is that in some countries formula milk is specifically marketed as a life-style option and a status symbol and that's absolutely shite.  It's certainly true in the Philippines where young mothers sacrifice a lot to buy formula when breastfeeding is free.  Maybe @SlipperyPwill comment re. Thailand when his hangover is better?

BUT I did like the phrase, "Just about all my wives".  How many have you currently?  I admire your stamina.  I could never manage more than one at a time ;)

Breastfeeding is still the to do thing here, especially in the countryside. Formula milk is expensive, however the mother get money from the government to help out in this area. Also the formula is for ages up to 5 years old (liquid protein meal).

I never had time for a hangover, got woken at 05:00 to take the mother-in-law to hospital.:(Feeling a little now. 

Feel really bad for the women who physically can't or at least don't feel like they can breastfeed. It might be getting a little more relaxed now, but when we were in there was definitely the air that they were trying to concentrate on breast-feeding. I know that if it's a choice between the two then breast milk is always going to win but it must put horrible pressure on a woman who is already in a weakened state to do something they might not be able to do. Especially when you can have totally bottle-fed babies suffering no ill-effects.

Wee man is already a million times better than those awful first couple of days. After losing that 11% of his birth-weight he'd gained back about 6 in the day after that. Midwife back tomorrow afternoon so we'll see how he's done, but he's eating like a horse and sleeping quite well too. Still hard times to come obviously, but...well, fucking phew really

Great pic!
We are just heading home from a few nights at Center Parcs. Had a great time. Knackered though. 
2017-05-05_10_02_59.thumb.jpg.ab24c084b8fb034e83737c084ecdc086.jpg

Is it as expensive as everyone seems to batter on about? :lol:

And is there a lot to do for a wee tot? I'd love to take Aila away for a few days but I'm not keen on taking a child under 2 abroad tbh.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

And is there a lot to do for a wee tot? I'd love to take Aila away for a few days but I'm not keen on taking a child under 2 abroad tbh.

It can be as expensive as you want it to be. We did a food shop at Penrith for breakfast and lunch stuff so that we weren't eating out all the time. The activities are expensive but then there isn't much for kids under 2 so no money spent there. We just went swimming every day (free) and out for walks. Enough to keep Catherine occupied. 

Eleanor only got up once in 10 hours last night. This is a complete win. Now to get her to try more foods. Going by this face it might take a while!

IMG_1493977606.312195.thumb.jpg.7bb83e6f3196e1e2eee696115393cf17.jpg

A cracking "Did ye, aye?" meme in the making there I say.

Is it as expensive as everyone seems to batter on about? [emoji38]

As HSF said, it can be really expensive if your eat out all the time or so lots of activities. As you'll be able to go during school term you should be able to get the actual holiday reasonable enough.

It's pretty good for taking young kids, particularly as it's only an hour or so down the road. You get your own little cabin , kid gets there own room and the pool is inside so doesn't matter too much what the weather is like. Plus theres usually loads of birds, squirrels etc around the woods and cabins.

It was fucking brilliant but take your wallet for sure. Like HSF said, we did a shop on the way in, but any meal for two will set you back 40 notes at least. No less than a fiver a pint too anywhere. Do the field archery. Just do it. Brilliant. 

Will definitely go back, maybe when the wee one is a bit older and we can do more with her, but for sure recommended. 

Yeah I'm a centre parcs fan. I couldn't face taking my three abroad on my own. But I like centre   Parcs. Three hours max down the road, I take shopping with me. I book a yr in advance and pay a bit off each month (in theory!) and then spent the couple months before hand booking activities. Eat out maybe 3/4 nights and BBQ at least one of them.

Its safe and the kids love it, Wild a good mix activities for their ages. My sisters coming for a couple of days this yr with me which is handy. 

We're going just before Christmas as they have fake snow, fair lights in forest and elves workshop

and Santa. 

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I've taken my three to CP twice when they were still in primary and, 7/8 years later, they still talk about it.  They all did activities each day so the cost really does mount up but that wouldn't be a big issue for you and the wee yin.  Take a couple of bikes and a bike seat and you'll have a good time.

I really wouldn't worry about "taking a child under 2 abroad" either.  My 3 have a 'foreign' mama so they all flew from when they were babies and it's a breeze.   You and your Mrs taking the wean 'abroad'?  Little different to going on a train from, say, Glasgow to Manchester.  I still have nightmares, though, about taking my crew aged 3, 5 and 7 on my own from Edinburgh via Prestwick to Stockholm for a wedding which their maw had flown ahead for.  That was absolute hell!

On 5/1/2017 at 09:53, Rowan said:

Third time round I just asked the midwives if they'd breast fed they're own. Most hadn't!

I was working as a midwife when I had Cal (he'll be 17 this year) and I breastfed for 3 months.  I won't say it was easy though - he was 8 and a half weeks early and I had to express initially until his suck developed.  He refused point blank to use a dummy so pretty much used me as one - screamed all the time, never slept at night unless in with us.  Ended up at about the three month mark I couldn't take anymore... thankfully the anti-depressants kicked in about 3-4 weeks after we changed him onto formula.

The pressure is really unfair. My wife ended up in hospital for the week because Julia just point blankly refused to latch in and suck. She only got out because she was giving her the wee bottles in hospital. Got home and the health visitor started on about getting her breastfed after a week my wife had to give in because both her and Julia were getting really stressed about it but that just made her feel like a failure and less of a mum, Julia on the other hand thrived.

The other thing that really annoyed me was the government won't allow supermarkets etc do deals on baby formula to help promote breastfeeding, not giving a thought to kids who can't/don't want to do it.

The pressure is really unfair. My wife ended up in hospital for the week because Julia just point blankly refused to latch in and suck. She only got out because she was giving her the wee bottles in hospital. Got home and the health visitor started on about getting her breastfed after a week my wife had to give in because both her and Julia were getting really stressed about it but that just made her feel like a failure and less of a mum, Julia on the other hand thrived.

The other thing that really annoyed me was the government won't allow supermarkets etc do deals on baby formula to help promote breastfeeding, not giving a thought to kids who can't/don't want to do it.

That could be linked to the nestle scandal in Africa where they got loads of weans hooked on free milk and then bumped the price up.

Keep it at the price it is. No shenanigans.