Pregnancy And Parenting

Congrats to all the recent new parents :)

My daughter was born last Tuesday and got both Mum & baby home on Saturday. She's a happy wee soul who eats very well from breast & bottle. Seems to have gotten into a decent nightly routine of only waking at 2am for a feed so all good.

Nappy changing ain't so bad.....might not fancy a curry for a while though.... 

Any tips for me going forward guys? All new to me this!

Dont stress about shit, hard though it is. They do things to test you.

And see when everyone and there dug says to you "oh they dont stay that way for long" and you think, standard cliche bullshit, I can assure you that is one of lifes cast iron facts. Enjoy it all because the first year goes by in a blink.

Cheers mate. I will! The baby period has been the one I've been most dreading tbh but enjoying the early days thus far.

For me, every new day is the best age my wee lassies at. Constantly changing. Theres nowt better than when you can actually sit and watch a wee person learning a new skill, something you take for granted.

When the shite happens (Colic, teething, night terrors et al) and it will happen, the main thing is to try and mind it is temporary, and its no ones fault baby or parent. Cos at 0200 during a screaming match it doesnt feel like it.

Will bear this in mind. Thank you and good luck with your daughter. How old is she now? My ex gf had 2 girls 4yo & 6yo and was with her for 3 years so that was an eye opener....still miss those two!

And see when everyone and there dug says to you "oh they dont stay that way for long" and you think, standard cliche bullshit, I can assure you that is one of lifes cast iron facts. Enjoy it all because the first year goes by in a blink.

Been struggling with this today as the 2nd approaches a year old.

It's when you realise they're going to be 6 one day, and 12, and 18, and 40, and 70. In her pushchair in the park the other day, passed a decrepit but alert woman being pushed in a wheelchair coming the other way, all kind of shit goes through your head and wondering what is going through the auld biddy's head. It flies in.

The changes are amazing and we are only 4 days in! Amazing how alert she is now and faces they pull etc. I actually feel human again too which is probably helping. We've had no visitors as well which has been great. First set arrive on Saturday so it has given us time to settle at home.

Had some eating issues with the bairn (she's 19 months now), she has really struggled with hard or lumpy food or food with bits in or basically anything that wasn't puréed or melt in the mouth. She would choke then throw up which is bad at home but an absolute pain when out and about.

She's been a little braver the past few days so today we gave her some chips to munch on, the last time we tried she found the too stodgy and well, choked and spewed. However today she munched them up and was looking for more and all the time smiling and charming one of the lassies clearing tables.

Was sitting with the other half having a proper moment, one of those "everybody look, she's eating chips!" moments that only a child eating a McDonalds chip can give you.

You think steak and egg would be too much for tomorrow's breakfast?

The changes are amazing and we are only 4 days in! Amazing how alert she is now and faces they pull etc. I actually feel human again too which is probably helping. We've had no visitors as well which has been great. First set arrive on Saturday so it has given us time to settle at home.

Don't be afraid to kick them out. I had a set turn up and wouldn't leave. 5 hours later.

Had some eating issues with the bairn (she's 19 months now), she has really struggled with hard or lumpy food or food with bits in or basically anything that wasn't puréed or melt in the mouth.

We had this with my son until he was aged about 6.  He just couldn't take food that he had to chew..  As we're carnivores I spent hours putting lamb/chicken/beef/venison/rabbit through a hand-mincer for him and served it with mashed tatties as, even, roast potatoes required too much chewing.  Rice was complete no-no as he couldn't swallow it.

At 15 he's built like a brick shithouse, plays County-level rugby and can run 100m in under 13 seconds...but can't remember how his palate was pandered to.  Then again, kids are ungrateful wee fuckers ;)

Edited by The_Kincardine

My beautiful wee man was born today at 0540 7pound 4.5 so he's only wee! 9 hours of labour, tired emotional but he's amazing. Good few complications not noticed in the scan which led to monitoring machine placed on his head and the placenta being attached to the cord which could have caused drastic problems if not managed amazingly by the midwife at the RIE. God bless him and my other half who was a tired, sore emotional wreck but still done it. X

Edited by bambino7

My beautiful wee man was born today at 0540 7pound 4.5 so he's only wee! 9 hours of labour, tired emotional but he's amazing. Good few complications not noticed in the scan which led to monitoring machine placed on his head and the placenta being attached to the cord which could have caused drastic problems if not managed amazingly by the midwife at the RIE. God bless him and my other half who was a tired, sore emotional wreck but still done it. X

Congratulations Bambi and welcome to the world, your wee man.  What a year for a new Hibee to be born!

Best wishes to your Mrs, too and I wish her a swift recovery.

Shame he'll probably never see them win the Scottish Cup.

:(

It's a thread for optimists, Mozzer.  Wee Bambi may well bang in the winning goal for Hibs vs The New New Sevco in May 2039.  Hope I'm still posting if that happens!

Superb. First one? Congrats.

Read back the last few pages.... Some decent advice flying about. Even my own as despite normally fucking about, I enjoy and would never hesitate in passing on what I've leanred in my first year of parenthood.

Second child born (I'm the space of a year). Thanks for the advice mate, I'm still learning and is much appreciated! It changes everything it really does!

Congratulations Bambi and welcome to the world, your wee man. What a year for a new Hibee to be born!

Best wishes to your Mrs, too and I wish her a swift recovery.

Thank you mate. Really appreciated :)

It's a thread for optimists, Mozzer. Wee Bambi may well bang in the winning goal for Hibs vs The New New Sevco in May 2039. Hope I'm still posting if that happens!

:lol: by that time it will be "I can't believe it's not sevco" but I would probably die on the spot and ironic considering one his middle names will be Gray after our cup winning captain legend

I also have the old fear of "could I love another one as much as I do my daughter" but im sure that's what everyone thinks.

Yes you can...I have three and it's amazing how your 'love' expands for each new bairn.  After my first was born I though it couldn't 'like' anything more.  Then her brother was born followed by their sister.  They are endlessly fascinating, even as tall, grumpy teens.