1. Which out of favour Aston Villa striker came to Dens in 1989 with a view to signing but instead signed for Scunthorpe United after watching Dundee draw 2-2 at home to Hearts?
2. Who did uncompromising cult hero Wes Saunders make his debut against and what was the score? Bonus point for naming the player he completely marked out of the game.
Celtic in a 2-1 defeat at Dens in early 1988. This was the season Celtic won the double in their centenary. Saunders' debut was quite something, He cleared the ball out of the entire stadium at least three times, marked McAvennie out of the game and was subbed off to a standing ovations after about 70 minutes.
3. In 1992/93, Dundee twice came back from 2 goal deficits to rescue a point with 9 men. One was that mental 4-4 draw at McDiarmid Park, who was the other against?
It was away to Airdrie at the old Broomfield. Fought back from 0-2 down to draw 2-2 after having two players sent off. I think Gary Patterson scored the equaliser. The 4-4 game at McDiarmid had seen Paul Mathers sent off for a last man foul in the first half. Jamie McGowan then went off injured after all the subs had been made.
4. Daryll Horgan was recently the first Hibs player to score twice at Tynecastle since which ex-Dundee player did the same in 1985?
It was Joe McBride. He scored twice in the last few mins to give Hibs a rare good result at Tynecastle. He was a gifted player, but a lazy c**t He also scored a winner in a Dundee derby - a 4-3 win at Dens in 1989 where we recovered from 0-2 and 2-3 down to win. McBride won it with a 20 yard free kick about 15 mins from the end.
5. Which Dundee player had his penalty shoot-out effort saved in that epic Dens cup tie against Hearts in 1995 and who missed the next Hearts pen?
Paul Tosh had his pen saved by Henry Smith, who then bizarrely took the next kick and made a total c**t of it.
6. First Division Dundee knocked Premier Division United out of the League Cup at Tannadice in 1996 on penalties. Which veteran striker scored the decisive penalty in the shoot-out?
7. Dundee signed Jim Leighton from Man United in 1992 - who did he make his debut against, and what was the score?
Kilmarnock in a 1-1 draw (which was surprisingly Sportscene's chosen game as both sides were in the First Division). Leighton made some excellent saves in that game against a fine Killie side. Sadly things turned to shit, with Leighton turning in some absolutely horrendous performances in the Premier League the following season, notably the 6-3 gubbing from Partick and a 3-1 home defeat to Rangers. Unsurprisingly he left us and resurrected his career somewhat.
8. What was unusual about Dundee's 2-2 draw at McDiarmid Park in 1995?
Dundee played in St Johnstone's away kit due to a clash, allegedly the kit man took the wrong kits through.
9. Which talented Rangers midfielder did we briefly sign on loan in 1989-90?