Challenge Cup Restructure

Worktheshaft

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pros - Those at the top have identified that the system needs tweaked in some way.

Cons - They've came up with absolute shite yet again.

Having the Premier League U21 sides in it is absolute madness. Wooing the big TV companies with their token inclusion is pretty much pie in the sky stuff; are they really going to fork out any notable sum to see Chelsea's youths play East Fife away? Somehow, I can't see it.

Keep the participants from within this country, include more sides for the HL and LL leagues and invite Junior clubs to take part too.

I think the new proposals sound dreadful. The Challenge Cup is fine as it is in my opinion, but if the Lowland League got a 16th team I'd like to see all Lowland and Highland League clubs take part which would give a nice figure of 64 clubs. With the final in April there's no reason why an extra round couldn't be fitted in to the calendar.

Was following the idea, cross border with N Ireland/Wales not totally mental, right up until EPL U20 and by the looks Blue&Green Cheeks U20s,

Then it just a how can we make money nonsense.

A lower league tournament and the thought is not to include english lower league,

it let's get Man City / Chelsea kids.

Guest Back Post Misses

Missing the point.

Sort our own league structure first.

This is only about TV money and fans could not give a shite about it.

Texaco Cup revamped - nonsense.

Is David Brent now in charge?

I like the Challenge Cup the way that it is, bringing in Welsh, Irish and English youngboys takes away from what the Challenge Cup is.

What should happen is that with the new structure of the League Cup being brought in, the Challenge Cup should start later in the season, say January and this would give the smaller clubs a tournament to play in once they are out of the League Cup and the Scottish Cup.

If they wanted to bring in a "British Cup" per say. Then they could invite the top 4 teams in the Northern Irish League, Welsh Premier, English Championship and Scottish Championship to play between say October and March when all these teams are out of their respective cups.

I'm sure Leeds v Falkirk would be more exciting than Chelsea U-21's v East Stirling.

It's bonkers, but I like the novelty of it. I admit though that I'd get immediately sick of it after just one competition as the token English sides would horse all comers. I also don't like the idea that this could act as a gateway for the formation of old firm B teams to compete against senior sides.

However, purely for novelty value of seeing Southampton reserves away to Peterhead and Montrose v TNS it would be marginally entertaining.

Just get the mascots to take part in Total Wipeout instead. You'd get more TV money and it would be a bit more dignified to boot.

Alternatively, if you really want the big bucks, send the blazers off to take part in Takeshi's Castle. We'd all pay to see that.

This idea is ludicrous.

There might be scope for bringing back a Texaco Cup style competition but this proposal, and the Challenge Cup is not it.

For one I have no interest in seeing Airdrie get humped by Stoke City U20s and Scottish Premiership U20 sides is frankly a big no and would simply be used as a precursor for them getting in the leagues.

Plus I actually like the Challenge Cup the way it is. It's nice to have a competition that you have a genuine chance of winning.

The most worrying thing about this complete load of shit is that it shows the mindset of the geniuses running our game...more Old Firm, more bigotry, more leeching from them, more hero worshiping England is the way forward for Scottish football when it's the exact opposite that's needed and wanted.

2012 was bad enough but this shows they've learned nothing. I really fear for the Scottish game.

Yep, if we're going to fanny around with it I'd agee with opening it up to the 5th tier clubs Once there's an extra team in the Lowland League, that's a nice 5 matches to the final. None of this U20s, international malarkey and sod it being a consolation competition for League Cup failures.

Would all Premiership clubs be invited to enter Under 20 teams or just the Old Firm, as was? Odd isn't it that "Scotland's 42 club representatives learned of the proposals at a meeting of teams at Hampden on Tuesday". Who exactly is in charge of the SPFL - the paid officials or the member clubs?

Archived