Scottish FA Youth Cup 2014/15

Hughsie

This season's Youth Cup gets up and running later this month. There are only three ties in the first round, followed by a full compliment of 16 ties in the second round.

FIRST ROUND

North Section

1. Cove Rangers v Turriff United

Byes;

1. Aberdeen

2. Banks O' Dee

3. Brora Rangers

4. Clachnacuddin

5. Forfar Athletic

6. Fraserburgh

7. Huntly

8. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

9. Inverurie Loco Works

10. Keith

11. Lossiemouth

12. Montrose

13. Ross County

South Section

Byes;

1. Annan Athletic

2. Dalbeattie Star

3. Selkirk

4. Threave Rovers

Central Section

1. Falkirk v Stirling Albion

2. Stenhousemuir v Alloa Athletic

Byes;

1. Airdrieonians

2. Clyde

3. Dumbarton

4. Dundee

5. Dundee United

6. East Kilbride

7. Edinburgh City

8. Hamilton Academical

9. Livingston

10. Partick Thistle

11. Spartans

12. Whitehill Welfare

SECOND ROUND

North Section

1. Clachnacuddin v Keith

2. Cove Rangers or Turriff United v Brora Rangers

3. Forfar Athletic v Inverness Caledonian Thistle

4. Inverurie Loco Works v Fraserburgh

5. Montrose v Banks O' Dee

6. Huntly v Lossiemouth

7. Ross County v Aberdeen

South Section

1. Dalbeattie Star v Selkirk

2. Annan Athletic v Threave Rovers

Central Section

1. Falkirk or Stirling Albion v Airdrieonians

2. Spartans v Partick Thistle

3. Edinburgh City v Whitehill Welfare

4. Dundee United v Dundee

5. Hamilton Academical v Livingston

6. East Kilbride v Stenhousemuir or Alloa Athletic

7. Clyde v Dumbarton

Ties in the First Round are scheduled to be played on Sunday 31 August 2014, with Second Round ties are scheduled to be played on Sunday 28 September 2014.

The following clubs enter in the Third Round having reached the Fourth Round stage of last season's competition. Rangers are, of course, the holders following their penalty shootout victory over Hearts in May's final at St. Mirren Park.

1. Ayr United
  2. Celtic
  3. Cowdenbeath
  4. Dunfermline Athletic
  5. Formartine United
  6. Greenock Morton
  7. Heart of Midlothian
  8. Hibernian
  9. Kilmarnock
  10. Motherwell
  11. Queen of the South
  12. Queen’s Park
  13. Raith Rovers
  14. Rangers
  15. St. Johnstone
  16. St Mirren

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How disappointing is it that half the Highland League, half the Lowland League, and even a Junior can enter - but 9 out of 42 Scottish League clubs can't? And I include my own Berwick in that... Really poor that 3 of 10 clubs in SPFL1 and worst of all 6 of 10 clubs in SPFL2 can't/won't put teams together for it.

Berwick and East Stirlingshire even have DL East (formerly U19s) teams, but don't appear to have entered them in the Youth Cup.

Real shame.

Still, on a more positive note, some interesting ties including a Dundee derby, a couple of Stirlingshire derbies, and Ross County v Aberdeen. Spartans v Partick pits the East U19s (now U20s) champions against Premiership DL opposition, and 6+ non-leaguers will make R3.

How disappointing is it that half the Highland League, half the Lowland League, and even a Junior can enter - but 9 out of 42 Scottish League clubs can't? And I include my own Berwick in that... Really poor that 3 of 10 clubs in SPFL1 and worst of all 6 of 10 clubs in SPFL2 can't/won't put teams together for it.

Berwick and East Stirlingshire even have DL East (formerly U19s) teams, but don't appear to have entered them in the Youth Cup.

Real shame.

Still, on a more positive note, some interesting ties including a Dundee derby, a couple of Stirlingshire derbies, and Ross County v Aberdeen. Spartans v Partick pits the East U19s (now U20s) champions against Premiership DL opposition, and 6+ non-leaguers will make R3.

Seems strange that both Berwick and the Shire aren't taking part considering they are in the under 20 league.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Falkirk go through 5-3 on penalties v Airdrie.

Forfar beat Inverness on Friday night.

Spartans knocked out Partick Thistle 4-2 at Ainslie Park.

Incredibly it was Inverurie Locos 7-9 Fraserburgh at Harlaw Park!

East Kilbride beat Stenny 3-2 in another surprise result.

Haven't seen the rest of the results as yet. Still a few ties to be played as well.

In addition to those mentioned above I've found Annan 7-0 Threave... Dalbeattie 2-3 Selkirk... Ross County 0-2 Aberdeen... Montrose lost v Banks O'Dee (another non-league scalp and I expect the firstever victory for a Junior club in the SYC)... Cove 1-0 Brora... Clachnacuddin 2-0 Keith. Three ties still due.

I have to say the Spartans result is profoundly shocking (in the literal sense of the word). Over the last few seasons it has been very rare for non-leaguers to beat any Scottish League clubs. Spartans have eliminated a Premiership club, and were infact 4-0 up with 10mins to go. That's an astonishing reversal.

In addition to those mentioned above I've found Annan 7-0 Threave... Dalbeattie 2-3 Selkirk... Ross County 0-2 Aberdeen... Montrose lost v Banks O'Dee (another non-league scalp and I expect the firstever victory for a Junior club in the SYC)... Cove 1-0 Brora... Clachnacuddin 2-0 Keith. Three ties still due.

I have to say the Spartans result is profoundly shocking (in the literal sense of the word). Over the last few seasons it has been very rare for non-leaguers to beat any Scottish League clubs. Spartans have eliminated a Premiership club, and were infact 4-0 up with 10mins to go. That's an astonishing reversal.

1st time a junior side has taken part in the competition.

Girvan never entered a team?

For some perspective... last season only 2 non-league clubs beat league clubs: Edinburgh City beat Airdrieonians on pens, and Formartine beat Arbroath 3-2.

Season before that only 1 such result occurred: Edinburgh City beat Stirling Albion 3-2.

Three seasons ago again just 3 such: Spartans 4-3 Dumbarton, Cove 3-2 Ross County, Gala 1-0 Stranraer.

Season before just 2: Inverness 1-2 Keith [closest predecessor to today's shock], Coldstream beat Dumbarton on pens.

Girvan never entered a team?

For some perspective... last season only 2 non-league clubs beat league clubs: Edinburgh City beat Airdrieonians on pens, and Formartine beat Arbroath 3-2.

Season before that only 1 such result occurred: Edinburgh City beat Stirling Albion 3-2.

Three seasons ago again just 3 such: Spartans 4-3 Dumbarton, Cove 3-2 Ross County, Gala 1-0 Stranraer.

Season before just 2: Inverness 1-2 Keith [closest predecessor to today's shock], Coldstream beat Dumbarton on pens.

Don't think so.

2nd Round

Friday, 26 Sep 2014

Forfar Athletic F.C. 1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C. 0

Sunday, 28 Sep 2014

Dalbeattie Star F.C. 3 Selkirk F.C. 4

Inverurie Loco Works F.C. 7 Fraserburgh F.C. 9

Annan Athletic F.C. 7 Threave Rovers F.C. 0

Clachnacuddin F.C. (1990) Ltd. 2 Keith F.C. 0

Huntly F.C. 10 Lossiemouth F.C. 0

Montrose F.C. 1 Banks O'Dee F.C. 3

Ross County F.C. 0 Aberdeen F.C. 2

Spartans F.C. 4 Partick Thistle F.C. 2

Cove Rangers F.C. 1 Brora Rangers F.C. 0

Edinburgh City F.C. 1 Whitehill Welfare F.C. 4

East Kilbride FC 3 Stenhousemuir F.C. 2

Falkirk F.C. 2 Airdrieonians F.C. 2 AET

Falkirk F.C. won 5 - 3 on penalties

Friday, 03 Oct 2014

Clyde F.C. Dumbarton F.C.

Sunday, 05 Oct 2014

Dundee United F.C. Dundee F.C.

Thursday, 09 Oct 2014

Hamilton Academical F.C. Livingston F.C.

I remember Buckie beating Dunfermline away in the youth cup round about 2002. Think they eventually lost to Ayr who had Craig Conway in their team.

I don't know a lot about the level that Thistle are at but it does look like a big scalp for Spartans on the face of things.

With Formartine Utd entering in Round Three the non-league clubs will be well represented!

Thistle don't have a great reputation at that level, but it's still a terrific result for Spartans.

Third Round Draw

1.Queen of the South v. Forfar Athletic
2.Falkirk v. St. Mirren
3.Aberdeen v. Hibernian
4.Dunfermline Athletic v. Clyde
5.Ayr United v. Cowdenbeath
6.Banks O Dee v. Selkirk
7.Dundee United v. Formartine United
8.Raith Rovers v. Greenock Morton
9.Rangers v. Spartans
10.Clachnacuddin v. Hamilton Academical or Livingston
11.Celtic v. Motherwell
12.Cove Rangers v. St. Johnstone
13.Annan Athletic v. Fraserburgh
14.Heart of Midlothian v Whitehill Welfare
15.Kilmarnock v. Huntly
16.East Kilbride v. Queens Park

The proposed dates for Third Round ties is Sunday 02 November 2014.

Archived