Rectify

The Real Saints

A new series 'from the producers of Breaking Bad'. This obviously intrigued me, so I decided to give Monday's 2-hour premiere a watch (I think the two-hour premiere is in fact the first two episodes, and I'm just about to watch the 3rd).

It's very good so far. I can't see it ever reaching the giddy heights of Breaking Bad, but I would certainly recommend it as an intriguing and entertaining watch.

It focuses on a man who has just been released from Death Row after 19 years when his previous conviction has been called into question. It's an interesting interpretation of a man's struggle to adapt to regular life in the outside world and the obstacles which stand in his way. The central character (Daniel Holden) is quite fascinating and difficult to interpret, so I look forward to seeing how his character develops.

A solid start. It isn't action-orientated and is rather a slow-burner, but I've enjoyed it from the moment I started to watch it. A decent enough thing to watch to fill the time until the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad.

Watched the first three episodes now as well TRS and I agree - I think it is great! Interesting concepts and superb performances so far from Aden Young (the lead character), Abigail Spencer (The Sister) and Luke Kirby (The lawyer) who I thought was excellent also in a film called Take This Waltz last year.

Apparently it's not intended to be a 'mini-series' so I really hope it gets a second season. So far, I'd say it definitely merits it. Not sure how well publicised the show is in America or how well the first two episodes have done in terms of ratings.

My only slight qualm (and it is a very slight qualm) is with the title of the show. It's maybe just me, but I keep forgetting what it's called. There are many other one-word series which I have no problem with. Perhaps they could have thought of something more memorable, but there is a history of Alzheimer's in my family and this may well be the beginnings of it.

Title is no issue for me.

Not sure on ratings but I believe it will also show on its sister channel AMC soon which should attract a bigger audience.

I think season one of Breaking Bad was only about 6 episodes so would be happy to follow the same path as that. Like DomDom said, I think there could be something special here.

Really enjoyed the first 3 episodes so far. Like it how Daniel hasn't really commented on the murder so its still very much up in the air whether or not he actually did it.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Watched all 6 episodes of the season now.....wow!

Really powerful drama, very impressive, some great performances. Interested to see where it goes from here in the second season.

When someone else has seen all 6, would be interested to hear your thoughts (in spoilers of course)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got round to watching the season finale. Wow, it was excellent, and actually found it quite harrowing in parts. Impressed by how good the show has been as it just seemed to come out of nowhere

Just finished the series also. Excellent stuff. The pace of it is absolutely spot on in my opinion. A lot of ambiguous elements to be further explored in the second season.

In particular, I absolutely love the scenes between Daniel and Tawney, as well as his flashback relationship with his friend on Death Row.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived