Snooker

RedWeb

Stuart Bingham commentating on the Astley v Muir match in the snooker shout-out.  Astley wins it by potting the back with three seconds on the clock yet Bingham sounds like he's had to watch one of his own boring as f**k matches.

He probably had a few quid on Muir. And his own opponent.

13 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

Stuart Bingham commentating on the Astley v Muir match in the snooker shout-out.  Astley wins it by potting the back with three seconds on the clock yet Bingham sounds like he's had to watch one of his own boring as f**k matches.

The competition is pretty crap overall but can be exciting when it's down to the final seconds.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I enjoy it as a spectacle, I was expecting that when it went to a ranking event last season the players would be in a more serious mind set but it's still treated as a fun event. I think since it went to the full 128 at the venue the rankings have been devalued, only really matters to you if you're on the line near the top 16 for Worlds and Masters qualification and the line for top 64 for decent draws.

That said, there's no way it should be a ranking event. It's a ludicrous idea, Barry Hearn has made a right c**t of this one. It should be a non-ranking, a crazy prize fund to attract the top players and plugged everywhere and preferably on Sky Sports and not tucked away hidden on ITV4 after Poirot or some shit.

It's a bit mad but still watchable enough. Agree it shouldn't be a ranking event and might be better if they restricted it to 64 players, with the top 56 in the World added to eight "legends". At least that way a lot more of the players would be big names. Yesterday seemed to be hour after hour of English/Chinese bloke you've never heard of vs Chinese/English player you've never heard of.

As its a ranking event its now basically a chance for a no-hoper buried in the rankings to get a decent sum of money (if you rarely win anything) and shoot up the rankings. That the major players (O'Sullivan, Trump, Higgins etc) can't be bothered says everything.

Sky lost interest in snooker ages ago. The broadcasting rights will cost next to nothing yet they are happy to leave them to ITV4, probably because they have no chance of getting any of the big tournaments.

• 3 weeks later...

If O'Sullivan had the attitude he has now 25 years ago, he'd be way way out in front of Hendry's ranking title haul. Seems probable he'll nip in front of him being 4 titles behind and about 40 ranking events a season.

Hopefully this week is the start of Selby ramping up his form back up after a quiet few months.

The Welsh starting today.

7 hours ago, BradHorse said:

The 'Snooker Stars' game you can download on your phone is fucking quality btw.

It’s deeply frustrating getting use to the angles. Also taking a lot of time getting use to the power gauge, it’s either well underhit or the opposite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ryan Day has won 2 ranking events this year and reached the last 8 on 5 occasions but will still need to go to through World Championship qualification after not qualifying for the China Open and his broderline top 16 rivals all picking up winnings out there.

11 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Ryan Day has won 2 ranking events this year and reached the last 8 on 5 occasions but will still need to go to through World Championship qualification after not qualifying for the China Open and his broderline top 16 rivals all picking up winnings out there.

Good as he's awful to watch. Hopefully Bingham will drop into the qualifiers and fail to make it and if miracles can happen can it be made so that  Carter goes the same way., hate watching both of them.

O'Sullivan made his 14th maximum before getting papped out by someone I've never heard of who turns out has knocked him out already this season - Elliot Slessor. I presume Ronnie's comments about not turning up at the Crucible has been shown to be the same garbage as god knows how many times before considering nothing has been reported.

7 hours ago, meanmistermustard said:

O'Sullivan made his 14th maximum before getting papped out by someone I've never heard of who turns out has knocked him out already this season - Elliot Slessor. I presume Ronnie's comments about not turning up at the Crucible has been shown to be the same garbage as god knows how many times before considering nothing has been reported.

He's had a few strange years since the 2014 final against Selby. Every year he's talked about not going to the crucible then been beaten first time one of the top players has put pressure on him. He's going to be, rightly, a huge favourite this year.

I going to be putting some money on Ding this year; used to look struggle in the crucible but QF, runner up and  semi finalist last year I think it's coming.

I know Ding lives in Sheffield now, but not sure when he moved. Maybe that's why his Crucible form has improved in recent years?

I'd like to see Ding win a World title, but would settle for any new champion. I get bored with the same people winning things all the time.

I'm actually going this year, never been before so quite excited. Think I only have Table Two tickets though so will probably get some boring dross like Dott vs Ebdon.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm actually going this year, never been before so quite excited. Think I only have Table Two tickets though so will probably get some boring dross like Dott vs Ebdon.

Same here, first time at the world's for me too. 

Sorry to one-up you but I got tickets to the 2nd day of the final.  :whistle

5 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Lucky beggars, I've been before. I found in the early rounds there was space enough that you could nip into the seats near the partition up towards the back and you could see both tables. So you could maybe try that.

You'll be taken aback by the size of the place. It is very small and tight. In and around the venue is buzzing during the championship. Enjoy.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

Do they normally have any returns? We are in Sheffield for two nights so was wondering if it was worth chancing my arm to see if I could get a ticket for another session while I'm there?
Wish I'd seen this before. One of our group had to drop out so had to re-sell his ticket, did it through the venue and it seems common so I'd give them a phone.

My first time going down so pretty excited. Got 4 sessions in total covering the 1st and 2nd rounds