Band Of Brothers

McMuffin

On 11/16/2017 at 21:55, J_Stewart said:

Watched it with the wife this week, first time in years I’d seen it and first time she had. It remains a masterpiece, and actually gets better with each watch. She actually struggled to watch it though as found it so emotional. Amazing programme.

I finally forced my fiance to watch it a few weeks ago and she was addicted to it.  Was just the second time I'd watched it and it's amazing how many bits you forget.  Episode 9 though.....will never forget that.

• 1 month later...

Sat and watched this again over the past week or so with the other half, as she’d never seen it before.

I’m of the opinion that this is without a doubt, the finest television ever made.

As already mentioned, “why we fight” is the most harrowing and heartbreaking scenes I’ve ever seen on screen, and reduces me to a blubbering mess every time I swatch it.

Also, Captain Ronald Spiers is the absolute boy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/01/2018 at 16:25, Bobby Skidmarks said:

After years of years of stopping and starting and not bothering my arse, I bulk watched the first eight episodes in the last three days. 

Unbelievable.

Image result for band of brothers speirs gif

I did the exact same after years of watching the first episode over and over because I'd forgotten where I'd got to. Then regretted taking so long as it wasn't phenomenal.

I never really got into Band of Brothers.
It seemed utter nonsense. Up there with Commando or Expendables.
The sort of thing you'd chant USA, USA, USA when watching.
Super human Americans gunning down their gormless foes by the shed load.
Anyone else feel the same?

"Super human Americans gunning down their gormless foes by the shed load"

^^^ Hasn't watched the Bastogne episode type post.

I never really got into Band of Brothers.
It seemed utter nonsense. Up there with Commando or Expendables.
The sort of thing you'd chant USA, USA, USA when watching.
Super human Americans gunning down their gormless foes by the shed load.
Anyone else feel the same?

Err naw.. your on your own there champ.

Maybe.
It was sickly pro-American propaganda for me.
1 American could kill about 100 Germans.
It was almost like a game of Call of Duty.

See the wee bits at the end of each episode, they guys were the real soldiers that actually fought in those battles. Sly Stallone and Arnie Schwarzenegger didn’t really kill anybody in those Commando and Expendable films.

Maybe.

See the wee bits at the end of each episode, they guys were the real soldiers that actually fought in those battles. Sly Stallone and Arnie Schwarzenegger didn’t really kill anybody in those Commando and Expendable films.

This. I'm not sure if he's serious or trolling. It has it's fair share of action but I saw it more as a story of the guys we saw at the beginning/end.

There were numerous times when 'our guys' were up shit creek and were in no way annihilating the Germans. The story was about what happened, not a work of fiction.

Were you expecting a shock ending? Maybe the Nazis turned it around? ;) FWIW I thought the guys interviewed were extremely humble and downplayed their actions.

20 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Maybe.

You haven't watched it, have you?

I have seen it.
I was hoping for more realism and not cannon-fodder Germans wandering about in front of American gunfire like they are controlled by a shitty AI.
It's fictional take on real events. Let's leave it at that.

I don't think it's even remotely like that though.

Currahee - Training

Day of Days - They are all over the shop trying to reunite

Carentan - They take Carentan but the Germans come back in force.

Replacements - Market Garden. We know how that went! Only one side was cannon fodder.

Crossroads - One episode where they do take out a lot of Germans but they have casualties as well.

Bastogne - Again, only one side is cannon fodder here - quite literally at times.

The Breaking Point - Same as above really.

The Last Patrol - Near the end of the episode they eventually overrun the Germans on that side but again, hardly wiped them out easily as they were doing night raids to get hostages and were being bombed at the other side.

Why We Fight - Can't recall much action.

Points - War is over.

It's fair enough if you're not keen on it but it just isn't what you are saying it is.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He has to be at it. What a sad effort. I've never understood such trolling. What's the point?

He does this regularly, a light hearted troll that I think even he is surprised that people take seriously, then he thinks he has to defend some bizarre post.

• 6 months later...

Came him from the Petershill game last night, opened a beer, channel hopped. And on Sky, Currahee had about 40 minutes to go, followed by Day of Days. And no matter that I've watched them about 20 times I couldn't resist watching them again.

One thing when you watch now is spotting British actors who had minor roles who have gone on to be big stars. Stephen Graham and Andrew Scott are a couple from those 2 episodes.