Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Fantastic evening at Ferguson Park. Early kick off at 6:15pm due to broken floodlights. Finished Whitehill Welfare 2 Camelon 1 AET. Whitehill progress to the semi final of the King Cup.

Camelon achieved the near impossible feat of losing from 1-0 up in injury time with a late own goal and two red cards. Whitehill strolled home from there, even allowing themselves the luxury of a missed penalty.

The Camelon Twitter/X report reads not that they died due to hitting themselves over the head repeatedly with a shovel, rather that they played extra time in total darkness and were unlucky to lose. Not near darkness, or gathering dusk, as a normal person would have interpreted it. Nope, their fans were behaving as if they were down a pit head and somebody had forgotten to bring the lamps.

In reality it was a standard mid-April evening, sunset followed by 30-40 minutes of dusk. Perfectly visible at full time as you might judge from my second picture.

I drove home for 25 minutes and would still have had enough light to play football, so their complaints were ludicrous. 

So Camelon become the second team from Falkirk to exit a cup in Midlothian this season and, as ever, this was apparently totally down to the appalling conditions their artisanal footballers had to endure rather than anything their opponents may have done to beat them.

Good game, enjoyed it thoroughly.

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0909.jpeg

First siting of a fox on the pitch, at a match.  As the animal headed towards the Ashville goal, during their North West Counties Division 1 South game with Market Drayton  a wag in the crowd shouted, "He's off-side!".  The kind daft humour I enjoy.  Substitiute fox for dog and you get the vibe.

Edinburgh City 1-0 Montrose in league 1. Original game was abandoned due to high winds and Montrose were probably hoping for high winds to return to get this abandoned as well as they played poorly tonight and never really troubled City who played well and deserved their win. City Ultras were not allowed into ground tonight due to noise complaints so instead moved to the waste ground closer to the houses who complained. 

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9742.jpeg

Edited by Jute

25 minutes ago, Jute said:

Edinburgh City 1-0 Montrose in league 1. Original game was abandoned due to high winds and Montrose were probably hoping for high winds to return to get this abandoned as well as they played poorly tonight and never really troubled City who played well and deserved their win. City Ultras were not allowed into ground tonight due to noise complaints so instead moved to the waste ground closer to the houses who complained. 

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9742.jpeg

Noise complaints at the Stadium.. what a joke of a place. Did they put the Zumba class off? 

Think I'll bring my kazoo down at the next game.. 

33 minutes ago, Jute said:

IMG_9740.jpeg

IMG_9742.jpeg

Noise complaint at a football ground. Could only happen in Edinburgh... 

Longside 5-0 Whitehills, SJFA North Region Championship, att 60.

Success on my second attempt to get here, after I drove all the way up one Friday evening last February only to find the game off due to a power cut caused by high winds. Longside are an unusual club, they don't appear to have any social media at all, not even Facebook. It's a tiny village yet they have a remarkably well-appointed ground with a large social club and separate pavilion, modern floodlights, impressive personalised ironwork and a substantial brick shelter... the view from much of which is ruined by the two dug-outs, which could have been on the opposite side, obstructing the far goal. You can't have it all.

By chance I've seen Whitehills a few times over the past couple of years and this game followed a similar pattern. They're competitive and right in the game until the moment they're not. Nil-nil at half time turned into 5-0 at full time, with the gaps between goals getting shorter and shorter. Another 10 minutes and it would probably have been 10-0. It's not difficult to see why they're the second-lowest placed team in this part of the pyramid, spared the ultimate indignity only by Cruden Bay losing all 26 of their league games and getting docked 3 points to boot.

20240416_193815.jpg

20240416_201637.jpg

20240416_210445.jpg

Pumpherston V Livingston United 3-1 at Recreation park. EOSFL Division 3. Entry £6, No Programme due to games being poaponed at the last minute,  but they gave me a couple of old ones from this season. Crowd around 100.

It was a lovely evening so got myself out to watch this game. 

Midtable Pumpherston against winless visitors United. The match started of with both teams struggling with the heavy playing surface. So both resorted to long ball tactics. 

The hosts took the lead on 15 minutes from a corner on the right swung low in and number 9 headed home. They repeated the trick on 30 minutes but from the left when the same player headed home, much to the frustration of the Livingston United goalkeeper. 

Livingston down 2-0 at half time but they create a few chances of their own, but lack of composure in front of goal was their undoing. 

The second half was a bit better from the visitors point of view, they got a goal back when number 5 scored from the edge of the box after another corner. 

But the game was soon put to bed when the industrious number 10 for Pumpherston ran 30+ yards to score the goal of the night to make it 3-1 on 65 minutes. 

20240417_182900.jpg

East Craigie 0-2 Dundee St. James, Midland League, attendance about 50.

This completes the Midland League for me... or does it. I've only been to a first half at Blairgowrie, does that "count"? I know it doesn't matter but I wouldn't want to be claiming things like completing the grounds in a league if folk thought I was taking the piss. I've been to 21 grounds in this league as I've been to both of Montrose Roselea's, which I very much recommend if you get the chance. 

Another cold evening - will winter never end? - but a very tasty steak pie helped with that. Somehow in my mind I'd decided East Craigie were a bigger club than they actually seem to be. It looks like the ground was just grass banking and a rail until very recently, when they flattened and concreted part of it and put up some cover in the form of what seems to be bike sheds without sides. The pitch was in fine condition, which I understand is typical for Dundee...

Other than the two first-half goals there was little between the sides, with St James' keeper making a couple of very good saves to keep his side ahead. End of season fayre played ay 100mph regardless.

20240417_183923.jpg

20240417_193325.jpg

20240417_191426.jpg

Union Berlin Women 10-0 FC Stern Women (Polytan Cup Semi)

Despite going ahead after 10 minutes, the first 20 minutes or so looked like it would be a decent contest, but a seven minute hattrick from Sarah Abu Sabbah killed that notion. Two more goals followed before half time - guess who got one of them. Union added another couple quickly after the break and at 8-0 after an hour it became very much a passing exercise. Abu Sabbah added another couple in the last few minutes to take her tally for the evening to six. 

Free entry so really cannot complain. 

22EE2F85-1FD5-4DD3-BFE1-C749505F5E32.jpeg

DBE576EF-A57E-48C2-A380-3F80E3E98B2D.jpeg