Rugby Union

kiwififer

I don't mind Nigel and totally agree with your point. I genuinely believe that if he had refereed the 2011 Scotland v Argentina WC match, we would have made QF. I also reckon we would have least made semis if he had refereed the 2015 WC Scotland v Oz game..... oh and there would have been riots in NZ apres the 2011 WC final if Nige had been in charge.

Never intimidated

I do find his look at me schtick tiresome but he's still the strongest ref in pro 14. I've liked what I've seen of the sa guys too. Disappointed Leighton Hodges has disappeared off scene as he was very good too.

The RFUs attempt to reduce the length of the Six Nations has failed after the French voted against their proposal.

What was it about. I don't understand why changing it would benifit. It shouldn't be a problem for them considering the depth of professional rugby players at their disposal

On the issue of the South African referees (and teams) in the pro-12 am I right in thinking that rule changes take place in the Southern Hemisphere before they do in the northern? Does this mean some referees and teams in South Africa will have to follow a different rule set from other teams and refs in South Africa?

Rugby is the 2nd sport in Scotland so a large chunk will only switch on when the internationals are on.  However domestic rugby is still big in its own right albeit mostly amongst the supporters.  Especially since BT Sport have forked out on major contracts for the Aviva Premiership and Sky Sports decided to buy Guinness Pro12/14 rights.  That's my personal take on it. 

As for this Friday I think Nigel Owens can be very pernickety tbh.  This announcement just multiplies the notion that this will be a very, very difficult game of rugby.  We'll have to be on the ball big time. 

18 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Isn't it the six nations that would bring most of the money though? What's the actual popularity of domestic rugby?

In France and England there are some v. rich clubs spending a lot of money. Just getting to the point of football in the 1980s really. 

I rather him than Wayne Barnes.

On the issue of the South African referees (and teams) in the pro-12 am I right in thinking that rule changes take place in the Southern Hemisphere before they do in the northern? Does this mean some referees and teams in South Africa will have to follow a different rule set from other teams and refs in South Africa?

Generally yes though I thought his performance in our game v oz in summer was by a country mile his best.

Wrong quote meant that as reference to the understandably low opinions of Barnes

d5fd1548f0d77daddc09bd2d6c8fa31d.jpg

Glasgow side for Munster. Fairly astonished the front row is the same especially bhatti who has really struggled. Can see pens n yellows from us at scrums. Munster will defo target front row.Glad price is starting n think Henry is lucky to even make bench.

The Irish teams n refs already play to a different set of laws to everyone else tbf....

I'm happy with Pyrgos on the bench- I think he's a very good "finisher" as per the modern parlance. He's excellent at closing games out, whereas Price is definitely the guy to win them, and absolutely should be first choice.

Bhatti is a gamble after the first few games and all the penalties, but I thought he was pretty harshly treated by some questionable refereeing. The major thing Owens does right as a ref is that he refs the game rather than the reputation, so I can see why Bhatti gets one more shot.

Only worry for me is no Dunbar, but there is still a huge amount of quality there.

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm happy with Pyrgos on the bench- I think he's a very good "finisher" as per the modern parlance. He's excellent at closing games out, whereas Price is definitely the guy to win them, and absolutely should be first choice.

Bhatti is a gamble after the first few games and all the penalties, but I thought he was pretty harshly treated by some questionable refereeing. The major thing Owens does right as a ref is that he refs the game rather than the reputation, so I can see why Bhatti gets one more shot.

Only worry for me is no Dunbar, but there is still a huge amount of quality there.

Im the same, I think Bhatti has struggled, but the scrum in general has been poor so far, although I have been impressed by Turner who was 4th choice at Edinburgh, but Townsend rated him highly enough to take him with Scotland over the summer. Whats happened to Kebble, he came on vs Connaught in the pouring rain for his debut, did he decide he doesn't fancy it or something?

Would much rather have had Dunbar in there as well, but decent side apart from that, and given the players missing bodes well for the rest of the season.

Don't have too much of an issue with griggs m Horne but huw Jones n Dunbar would be dream combo. Front n back row will decide game for me. Eta Harley is a very handy bench option. Never gets credit he deserves but teams hate playing against him. Also turner whilst impressing in open has been as dire as every other embra hooker at line out. Struggling at set piece v Cardiff was only just recoverable...

Against Munster it would be fatal.

Bhatti's not long out of the academy and has obviously had a rude awakening but hopefully he finds his feet asap (excuse the pun).

Rennie will pick the team based on what he sees in training and who he has at his disposal due to injuries too so improvements have hopefully been made through the week.

Very tough game as expected but Munster have a few injuries too apparently then you add Donnacha Ryan going off to Racing.

Dunbar is an excellent player but good to see Horne getting his chance at the centre.  Wouldn't surprise me if Rennie told Dunbar he was dropped after that Cardiff try on Sat night tbh...

Edited by come on shire

Glasgow had a tough run of games and Bhatti will look exposed against the better teams. Connaught away in tough conditions. Ospreys at home always a decent side home or away. And blues away who can be decent on their day but Bhatti was up against an inconsistent ref. And now munster. It's a tough run of opening fixtures which let's face it a not full strength Glasgow team have come through pretty well

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Bhatti will have started 6 on the trott including the preseason friendlies which is tough going. I'm assuming it's as much to do with kebble being injured but doesn't say as much for the other props, bar fagerson

We have Alex Allan and D'arcy Rae on the bench.  I would have liked whatever one plays loosehead to have had a shot at starting tomorrow night tbh...