Rugby Union

kiwififer

Thought seeing there's a lot of rugby on these days, I'd start the thread. I know it's two codes and totally different games, but they are similar, so I'd thought one thread would do it.

Rinky's obviously happy with his team, but will Bluenose be happy tonight, after the Rugby League final up in Sydney? His team, Melbourne Storm are playing Manly in case anyone's interested...

I'm actually going to watch it, it's a bit better than watching Gala against Jed, the level of professionalism is way better, it's faster plus the have cheerleaders...

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Guest Rinky Sidebottom

Watched an International Rules Football game at Croke Park a few years ago, was a blood bath in all honesty, with both teams/players just giving each other hell for leather. As a sporting occasion it was dire and I wouldn't spend money watching it again.

The two codes of Gaelic & Australian Football are often thought to be very similar and many would argue that any player from each code could play in the others, yet when they combine, it becomes nothing more than a physical battle.

I have doubts about any amalgamation of sports, each sport has its own styles and players skills and abilities are different. Rugby league players are by majority much fitter than rugby union players, mainly due to the training regime and the fact that most sports coaches in rugby union believe you can't be very fast and also have stamina & be heavy in weight and have stamina, it's a short burst of massive energy every 30 seconds or so. Rugby league is a non stop eighty minutes, where both teams are physical and fast.

Some players have managed a good standard of ability in both codes, Alan Tait springs to mind, but many falter and I would doubt there would be enough interest in any amalgamation of rugby sports to make a professional club switch.

Wondered if anyone had a video of the game at Croke Park and checked with you tube, and guess what someone did...enjoy!:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6HhYYp9y1OA

Edited by Rinky Sidebottom

Rinky's obviously happy with his team, but will Bluenose be happy tonight, after the Rugby League final up in Sydney? His team, Melbourne Storm are playing Manly in case anyone's interested...

Dont get me started <_<

The NRL along with the whole of NSW & QLD will be happy with the result. I could rant all day about the NRL and their judiciary system and the way they run things but I wont. Anyway we had a good season and to go to 3 grand finals straight is a fair effort and I think we will be back determined to make it 4 straight finals next season :)

Well done to Manly by the way.

Cant wait for the Rugby League WC, will be getting tickets for the Australia vs England game :D C'mon Aussies!

Watched an International Rules Football game at Croke Park a few years ago, was a blood bath in all honesty, with both teams/players just giving each other hell for leather. As a sporting occasion it was dire and I wouldn't spend money watching it again.

The two codes of Gaelic & Australian Football are often thought to be very similar and many would argue that any player from each code could play in the others, yet when they combine, it becomes nothing more than a physical battle.

A few ex-Gaelic players have come to play in the Australian Rules Football over here in the past few seasons. I agree with what you say about the physical battle when its combined, not too much skill.

Jeesus christ when will they stop?

I have a bright pink Stade top from 2 years ago which was bad enough. Then last year came the poo coloured strip with pink flowers and now this?

Just thinking about it Scotland's best backrow forward is playing with this lot...

Although I watch it occasionally on telly, I only went to see my first rugby game a couple of weeks ago - Glasgow Warriors vs Llanelli Scarlets. Wasn't that bad actually, though the reasoning behind penalty awards are a bit hard to keep track of without commentary.

Dont get me started <_<

The NRL along with the whole of NSW & QLD will be happy with the result. I could rant all day about the NRL and their judiciary system and the way they run things but I wont. Anyway we had a good season and to go to 3 grand finals straight is a fair effort and I think we will be back determined to make it 4 straight finals next season :)

Well done to Manly by the way.

Cant wait for the Rugby League WC, will be getting tickets for the Australia vs England game :D C'mon Aussies!

Have caught a bit of the Grand Final during the interminable repeats on Setanta and it looked like your lads got a bit of a doing, record defeat was it? :o

I do enjoy the NRL stuff on Setanta, but with all the repeats and the time difference it's a bit much to properly follow. I think my girlfriend would also leave me if I started inflicting rugby league as well as football on her :lol:

Scotland have a league team in the World Cup this year, starts later this month.

Guest Rinky Sidebottom

I understand Scotland have managed to persuade some decent Aussie to play for them at Rugby League World Cup.

Michael Robinson appeared to be about to be selected for the Aussie squad, but to everyone surprise he wasn't selected and he has now chosen to play for Scotland. :o

K623001R.gif

Cracking top from Scotland, mind you at £45 just for the top it should be...

Have caught a bit of the Grand Final during the interminable repeats on Setanta and it looked like your lads got a bit of a doing, record defeat was it? :o

I do enjoy the NRL stuff on Setanta, but with all the repeats and the time difference it's a bit much to properly follow. I think my girlfriend would also leave me if I started inflicting rugby league as well as football on her :lol:

Scotland have a league team in the World Cup this year, starts later this month.

Yes its the worst we have played in like 3 years but were missing our influential captain Cameron Smith through suspension when he shouldnt have been suspended in the first place <_< Anyway we gave them a doing in the final the previous season and during the season aswell so they got to beat us sometime.

If Scotland were playing any of their matches in Melbourne I would have went to it but thankfully our only game here is probably one of the best matches so I will be going to the Australia vs England game.

I understand Scotland have managed to persuade some decent Aussie to play for them at Rugby League World Cup.

Michael Robinson appeared to be about to be selected for the Aussie squad, but to everyone surprise he wasn't selected and he has now chosen to play for Scotland. :o

Cracking top from Scotland, mind you at £45 just for the top it should be...

Its the fact that we have Israel Folau who is a better winger than him in our squad that he's not in there so not big surprise plus also 'The Wolfman' David Williams aswell in our squad too.

Nice Scotland jersey by the way.

Edited by Bluenose5

I'm the same. If there's nothing else on the telly i'll happily watch a bit of the Aussie rugby. I also watch The Footy Show when it's on Setanta and it's a bit mental. My knowledge of Aussie Rugby League is a bit shit but it's still an enjoyable programme to watch.

On to the World Cup. As far as I know the only decent teams in it are the Aussies, England and New Zealand. Can either England or New Zealand realistically expect to challenge Australia or will they horse everybody in sight?

• 2 weeks later...
Can either England or New Zealand realistically expect to challenge Australia or will they horse everybody in sight?

Realistically? It's between England and West Island, and there's no way Oz will lose. NZ will be there or there about, but simply are not at the races with this one.

Sonny Bill shouldnt worry us :P , never worried our League team so shouldnt worry the Wallabies.

Realistically? It's between England and West Island, and there's no way Oz will lose. NZ will be there or there about, but simply are not at the races with this one.

Yeah its basically ours to lose. I think the kiwis could beat England though.

Had never watched a League until I moved out to Sydney a few months back, and only went cause I got a couple of freebies off a member of my family who is part of the Dragons set up. But since then I have been hooked, and been to quite a few games, with my last being the Storm v Cronulla semi final where i paid a measly $10 for a ticket!

have to say I started following the Dragons as the WIN stadium is best I have been to for atmosphere, and Wendel Salior is a legend! Shame about Gasnier leaving, was a fantastic player! Probably between him, Benji Marshall or Toadd Carney for the best player I have seen live.

Looking forward to the World Cup, wont be hitting any off the Scotland game though due to distance and work. Probably going to the Ireland game up at the Eels stadium and might try take in a few others.

Always quite enjoyed watching this when I've caught it on tv. A complete novice to the game but the 6 tackle rule certainly makes it exciting, I might go bone up on the rules for this World Cup.

Is a tv network covering this live?

How good are Ireland, Scotland and France? Are we looking at getting humped in these 2 games against Fiji and France? e.g San Marino v Croatia or is it more San Marino v Andorra in football terms?

Edited by Kejan

Always quite enjoyed watching this when I've caught it on tv. A complete novice to the game but the 6 tackle rule certainly makes it exciting, I might go bone up on the rules for this World Cup.

Is a tv network covering this live?

How good are Ireland, Scotland and France? Are we looking at getting humped in these 2 games against Fiji and France? e.g San Marino v Croatia or is it more San Marino v Andorra in football terms?

BBC Highlights

and every game on SKY

have to say I started following the Dragons as the WIN stadium is best I have been to for atmosphere, and Wendel Salior is a legend! Shame about Gasnier leaving, was a fantastic player! Probably between him, Benji Marshall or Toadd Carney for the best player I have seen live.

Is a shame you weren't over here when Andrew Johns was playing because he was arguably the greatest ever rugby league player. In all honesty there isnt too much atmosphere at sports games here compared to Europe.

Big Wendell, Gasnier and Benji are all good players but Slater, C.Smith, Ingles and Cronk are all better ;):P

Edited by Bluenose5