Rugby Union

kiwififer

Disagree with the Rennie stuff on this thread. Three massive fortress Scotstoun homegames this year, Leinster, Montpellier and Scarlets and he has failed everytime. Let's call it out, what a disaster of a season.

Hard to disagree with that. Europe was ultimately a disaster but right up to the end of the first game away at Exeter we were within a score of winning, after that it was downhill all the way.

Russell had caught much of the flak but there are one of two others whose attitude seems to have been less than perfect, I like having a laugh with the guys at my work but there are times when you need to get your game face on and we haven’t seen enough of that this season.

We have never properly replaced Nakarawa or Strauss and there has been a distinct lack of on-field leadership since Kellok retired, other teams may disagree but we all seem a bit too nice with no body in the team that other teams supporters hate.

Think the fact that John Barclay got a standing ovation and Finn Russell barely got polite applause on leaving the field just about sums up the season.

We really struggle up front, and tbh I have been really disappointed with gribbens. He has a few good runs but defense is poor. I remember a few weeks ago we were facing a 5m scrum and he let there scrum half pick up and waltz over the line. Gray apart we have far to many forwards wanting to get the ball in hand and look flash without doing the hard work

This season has definitely ended as a bit of a damp squib after a fantastic start. I see Dave Rennie is one of the favourites to be the next Wales coach. Personally I'd like us to keep him at Glasgow and see if he can build on this season. Would be harsh to dump him after just one season.

For those wanting to punt Rennie, his first season was comparatively better than Toonie's first season as Glasgow head coach. Same number of points but having played a game less. Better points difference. Significantly more tries scored. We also went out in the semis in Toonie's first season although admittedly on a better run than this time. The following season, we were runners-up, the season after that, we won the Pro12. We made progress under Toonie and I have no doubt that we will make progress under Rennie. 

To call it a disaster of a season is over the top. Certainly, the second half of the season was frustrating, to put it politely. I think the most frustrating game for me was our first game against Edinburgh when Berghan got sent off after 3(?) minutes and we got complacent/arrogant and kept trying to walk it over the try line. Everyone knows what happened in the end. Now THAT was a bottling. If we hadn't made it to the knockout stages then, based on the signings made, it would be a disastrous campaign. Getting knocked out in the semis makes it an irritating season.

People point to Leinster, Montpellier, Scarlets and they're right about that. That is something that he, his coaching team and his players need to work on so that it can be avoided from next season onwards. I don't agree with punting him already. Besides, if his Glasgow coaching career stays on the same trajectory as Toonie's then we'll make it to the Pro14 final for the next couple of years and win at least one of them...then it's probably best to punt him because we'll lose in the semis the following year, followed by a 6th place finish the season after. :P

I think that Rennie's biggest mistake was making Ryan Wilson captain. I get the argument that it was probably done to encourage Wilson to screw the nut but, let's be honest, he's a cheap shot merchant and Friday proved that. It's as if he looked at Celtic and went "hmm, their captain's a bit of a fandan and they keep winning. Think I'll do the same." This could apply to Rennie's decision making process, or how Wilson decided to approach the captaincy. Difference being that I don't remember Scott Brown twatting someone at kickoff before anyone else had touched the ball. No idea who would replace him though. Ideally, an irritating wee nyaff in the Laidlaw mould who'll keep nipping at the ref without the strong undertone of violence accompanying it.

To summarise, this was a season of transition. Keep Rennie and give him the chance to build on it.

Dan Parks time as all time leading point scorer in the Celtic League/Pro 12/Pro 14 has come to an end. As Dan Biggar hits the 1585 point mark (3 ahead of Parks) in his last game in the Pro 14

Dan Parks time as all time leading point scorer in the Celtic League/Pro 12/Pro 14 has come to an end. As Dan Biggar hits the 1585 point mark (3 ahead of Parks) in his last game in the Pro 14
And he was on the losing side as Ulster beat Ospreys in the Champions Cup playoff match.

It wasn't a disaster of a season but it has been a decidedly average campaign. 

Awful in Europe, indifferent in league with poor away form post Jan. 

I made the call not to go to the semi-final. Could see what was coming and £50 a skull was steep. 

Missing a big ball carrier. Brian being out isn't helpful, but the heads gone of several key players isn't helpful either. Plus fucking box kicks!  

I genuinely think some people have forgotten that Glasgow finished 6th last year. Under Townsend they ended up 11 points outside the playoffs and 28 off the top, including losing the final game 29-18  to Edinburgh (who were nowhere near the side they've been this season).

They did better in Europe last season but in the league barely scraped into a spot to qualify for the Champions Cup again.

Ospreys have had a disaterous season. Going from the playoffs in 16/17 to 5th in their conference this season (effectively 10th overall), and 32 points behind Glasgow.

Glasgow have had plenty of disappointments and an underwhelming end to the season but it has been nowhere near a disaster.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I dont think there should be a rush to get rid of Rennie, and obviously deserves more time, and a chance to build his own squad as obviously inheriting someone else's squad is never easy.

However, although we topped our conference I dont think we ever looked like dominating any team at any point. Yes earlier in hte season there were games when i think we scored tries every time we had the ball, but for large chunks of games, we either couldnt keep the ball for more than 2 or 3 phases, or couldn't get the ball off the opposition for large chunks of the game. We were good in that any break we made we scored. We just didn;t have any sort of control, but going unbeaten for umpteen games papered over the cracks to a large extent and we've been found out at the business end of the season. 

I dont think there should be a rush to get rid of Rennie, and obviously deserves more time, and a chance to build his own squad as obviously inheriting someone else's squad is never easy.
However, although we topped our conference I dont think we ever looked like dominating any team at any point. Yes earlier in hte season there were games when i think we scored tries every time we had the ball, but for large chunks of games, we either couldnt keep the ball for more than 2 or 3 phases, or couldn't get the ball off the opposition for large chunks of the game. We were good in that any break we made we scored. We just didn;t have any sort of control, but going unbeaten for umpteen games papered over the cracks to a large extent and we've been found out at the business end of the season. 
Fair summary imo. Even in games when they had already got the bonus point in the bag they didn't seem capable of playing any sort of controlling game, either by retaining possession or by playing territory.

I don't think it's been a total disaster of a season, and in Rennies defence it's his first season in the league. Hopefully he can learn from it and bring in players to bolster the squad, with the most obvious gap being a big ball carrier or two.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44208535

Are scarlets the first team to be critical of the surface at scotstoun? Given the weather you’d think they’d have watered the pitch prior to kick off.

As for the season past, Glasgow huffed and puffed for much of it. Won games without ever looking great. The best performances being Munster at home and being the first team to win away at Cheetahs. Think we’re missing a Leone type big ball carrier, like the Fijian or wherever he’s from guy at Edinburgh. That apart Glasgow’s poorer performances have come from trying to force games, overambitious throws, and poor ball handling.