Rugby Union

kiwififer

I see Eddie Jones has said they have 3 main areas to address after Saturday's defeat.

1. Why they lacked intensity.
2. Why they got hammered at the breakdown.
3. Why their defensive spacing allowed so many breaks.

Not sure to the answer about 3, but would suggest that:

1. They thought all they had to do was turn up and Scotland would roll over.

2. They still haven't figured out that you don't need 3 lumbering 6ft 8in back rowers to be successful, and having foragers like Barclay and Watson can reap big rewards in terms of turnovers and winning penalties.

1 hour ago, RosspCfc said:

Watched the 2006 England game yesterday and couldn't believe how bad a team we had compared to now. Huw Jones emoji7.png is quite the step up from Marcus Di Rollo

Any chance you could censor Dan Parks' face...and his name? :whistle

Also, Jamie Heaslip will not be punching the air in delight after World Cup draws anymore as he has retired:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43197574

3 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Watched the 2006 England game yesterday and couldn't believe how bad a team we had compared to now. Huw Jones emoji7.png is quite the step up from Marcus Di RolloScreenshot_20180226-090111.pngScreenshot_20180226-090122.png

I genuinely don't remember MacLeod, Kerr,  or Douglas.

Scott MacLeaod was a decent 2nd row, a bit lightweight but good player. It was Kerr I was struggling with.

Going back to Saturday’s glorious performance, I think its easy (and only fair) that people have been bigging up the performances from the back row and Russell and Jones. However I think one thing that has been over looked is the performances from Reid and Bergham in the front row. Given that England had approx 40kg advantage in weight, the fact we only gave away one penalty at scrums, and didn’t once take a step backwards was huge. It was one of my main concerns and we dealt with the English scrum brilliantly.

Given Reid was nowhere near the squad 6 months ago, and isn’t even 1st choice at London irish who are sitting bottom of the Aviva is huge credit to him

30 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Scott MacLeaod was a decent 2nd row, a bit lightweight but good player. It was Kerr I was struggling with.

Going back to Saturday’s glorious performance, I think its easy (and only fair) that people have been bigging up the performances from the back row and Russell and Jones. However I think one thing that has been over looked is the performances from Reid and Bergham in the front row. Given that England had approx 40kg advantage in weight, the fact we only gave away one penalty at scrums, and didn’t once take a step backwards was huge. It was one of my main concerns and we dealt with the English scrum brilliantly.

Given Reid was nowhere near the squad 6 months ago, and isn’t even 1st choice at London irish who are sitting bottom of the Aviva is huge credit to him

I felt Glasgow should have kept Reid. 

Also feel Cockerhill has done a lot in coaching that the Edinburgh lads like Berghan.  

29 minutes ago, honestly united said:

He's a solid player who just so happens to be playing for a poor team (though they did record a win at home to Worcester Warriors at the weekend). 

Imo, he sold his soul a bit for the bigger bucks.  He was getting his game in a winning Glasgow Warriors side then went to the richer English league and London Irish.  I thought that he'd just be going there to get beat every week and no doubt end up a bit scunnered. 

I guess I was half-right as he's spent a big spell on the sidelines injured.  Probably why he's lost his spot.  Then now when he's fit he's in the Scotland squad.

Scott MacLeod had a magnificent fight with Chris Fusaro at the end of an 1872 Cup game at Firhill. He also failed a drugs test after the SRU forgot to lodge his TUE for asthma medication (genuine, not Team Sky-style). He was decent if uninspiring. Think he's now the coach at Hawick.

I was actually a fan of Andy Henderson, he just never had the right type of player beside him. A Bennett/Jones/Grigg would have been the ideal partner, because he created a lot of space. Sadly we had Di Rollo and De Luca, who both had hands like feet.

Not many in that team would have got in today - Taylor would, and Mike Blair and Jason White maybe in the 23.

2 minutes ago, Leggy Blonde said:

Ryan Wilson has been cited for his scuffle with Nathan Hughes. Thought at the time Wilson was a little lucky to escape punishment since his fingers went pretty close to Hughes' eye. 

Has Hughes been cited, given he had Wilson pinned to the ground by the throat before Wilson reacted?