Rugby Union

kiwififer

Also saw a table of this years six nations with the players who made the most metres so far, and Hogg was the top player. That surprised me to be honest. 
Yeh mentioned that on PR too. I just think he has the x factor and when he doesn't do loads of magic things we automatically think he hasn't done some really good things.

Hogg I thought was solid enough without being spectacular. There was more carefulness about everyone play yesterday. 

Finn Russel was concerning. His passes to forwards were too flat, his all round kicking was bad but I thought his distribution to his centres was ok and at least gave them oppertunity to make attacking runs. 

Laidlaw was fantastic yesterday and that is some battle for the no 9 Jersey. I think he should start against England. 

The most pleasing thing about that performance yesterday was even though we went behind the heads didn't drop. The French at 50 to 60 minutes started to look nervous and the murrayfield crowd was magnificent in getting behind the team to help ensure victory. France must really be suffering with confidence because I thought that was a tough game against tough opposition. 

Well done Scotland pride restored. 

Solid performance after another poor start. I think the difference today was the work rate in the forwards compared to last week. Against Wales I thought the likes of Gray and Barclay,  who usually have huge games for Scotland, were fairly average, and it wasn't helped that  du Preez did nothing, and Reid and Welsh, although solid in the scrums, dont get around the park as much as Fagerson / Dell / Marfo etc so the difference in defence was noticeable.

On Russell Im more dissapointed that Townsend hasn't got him playing. They are / were similar players and you would have thought Townsend would be able to get the best out of him. Maybe though that is the problem that Townsend is just telling him to play and not to keep things simple.

I think that we should keep Laidlaw at 9 for England game, as the difference when Price came on in terms of tempo was huge and could be just what is need if its a tight game.

Will be interesting to see who is back fit, I think Marfo and Dunbar are back, maybe Fagerson so could be big changes to come.

Introducing Price was a key too. He upped the pace and the French players were struggling to match it at that point in the game. Laidlaw was excellent, best performance from him in years.

Denton was good when he appeared too, we need a huge ball carrier and it should be Strauss IMO but Denton is a fine player. 

Russell is a confidence player. He's lost his mojo at the moment. We've seen this before at club level, it does come back. I wonder if he would benefit from 60mins v the Cheetahs on Friday night. 

Disappointed to see so many negative comments about Finn. He's had a couple of stinkers yes, but his quality is not in any doubt and I'm sure he'll be back against England. As for Hogg, I thought he was decent enough yesterday. He scared the shit out of the French when he had the ball. I thought Jones, Gilchrist and Pete Horne were the standouts. Great result that saved a potentially disastrous tournament.

Good to see George Horne staying at Glasgow another season. Going to be a great battle between him and Price next season.

Don't think anyone questioned his quality tbf, but it's fair comment to say he has been poor in the last 2 games. Can't think of many positives that he done, which is very unusual. Even for Glasgow, when he has a poor game he usually manages to come up with a couple of bits of quality. Wonder if his head is right with his move to France getting closer.

I'd start Price and Laidlaw together against England. Laidlaw at 10 could be a masterstroke.

I take it you have forgotten the games he played there previously? It was horrible to watch big forwards running over the top of him for fun, he's to small to play a full match there. Plus he isn't actually that good a 10 which is why he went back to scrum half as soon Jackson came on the scene

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 minute ago, honestly united said:

I take it you have forgotten the games he played there previously? It was horrible to watch big forwards running over the top of him for fun, he's to small to play a full match there. Plus he isn't actually that good a 10 which is why he went back to scrum half as soon Jackson came on the scene

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Thing is, our next two games are against far more talented teams than us, so the only way we can win is to do something funny to outsmart them. Finn Russell has been poor the last couple of games, so he can't be the answer.

What a day at Murrayfield. Great win. After last weekend I think we needed a BP win to still have a shot at the title but it was very important to recover from Cardiff or else the critics and relegation merchants would perk up.

Greig Laidlaw was like a conductor with his orchestra. In these better times his cool head leadership philosophy is 2nd to none. I'd even consider having Ali at 9 and Greig mentoring him at 10. Greig had his first handful of caps at 10 when Chris Cusiter was at 9 including when we beat Oz on their own patch in 2012.

However the forward pack were just as instrumental in getting the win especially Gray and Gilchrist. At the end when the ref turned over the maul to us was what won us the game. Forwards take a bow.

Finn was very self indulgent again. He can do something to just about cost you a game but on the other hand he can win you a game when on form. He's like Niko's Scottish cousin.

On a final note, it's a very forward and physically orientated France team these days but Teddy Thomas is one of the greatest wingers to ever have visited Murrayfield. Serge Blanco-esque.

Have to admit to being surprised at this, for all that I don't think Hogg has played badly, he hasn't made many really massive breaks over the 2 games. Thought the French looked like they were bricking it any time he got the ball in the second half on Sunday.FB_IMG_1518510489829.jpg

20 hours ago, come on shire said:

On a final note, it's a very forward and physically orientated France team these days but Teddy Thomas is one of the greatest wingers to ever have visited Murrayfield. Serge Blanco-esque.

His volleyball style attempt to keep the ball in was a thing of beauty 

17 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Taqele Naiyaravoro moving to Northampton next season. So much for playing in Australia to keep a place in their national team.

You need to be decent for that. 

22 minutes ago, come on shire said:

George Clancy's got the whistle for Glasgow v Cheetahs on Friday night.

Call me mental, but Clancy's not been too bad lately. People hate on him for his rep, but he's called things pretty well recently. 

22 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Denton leaving Worcester at the end of the season, perhaps a move back to Scotland for him and more game time?

Taqele Naiyaravoro moving to Northampton next season. So much for playing in Australia to keep a place in their national team.

Leicester

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43057909