Rugby Union

kiwififer

Well I thought we were absolutely awful on Friday night from the 20 minute mark onwards.  It was a daft yellow card for Turner which changed the tide of the game as the French were on the ropes up until that point.  Then Jonny Gray got binned for a desperate attempt to keep them off the try line when they had the bit between their teeth.  To collapse a maul in front of the ref was stupidity.

I thought in the 2nd half the ref was awful.  He lost control imo and became very inconsistent.  However, when our line out success is less than 50% and we concede 14 penalties then we only have ourselves to blame.

Edited by come on shire

Well I thought we were absolutely awful on Friday night from the 20 minute mark onwards.  It was a daft yellow card for Turner which changed the tide of the game as the French were on the ropes up until that point.  Then Jonny Gray got binned for a desperate attempt to keep them off the try line when they had the bit between their teeth.  To collapse a maul in front of the ref was stupidity.
I thought in the 2nd half the ref was awful.  He lost control imo and became very inconsistent.  However, when our line out success is less than 50% and we concede 14 penalties then we only have ourselves to blame.

Can't argue with any of that. The most galling thing about Turner's yellow was that it was so utterly needless, they were penned into their own 22 and Glasgow were in complete control of the game. I honestly think if Glasgow could have got another couple of scores at that point then it would have been a stroll in the second half.

33 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Turner's yellow changed things completely and could have been red apparently. The atmosphere was dire as we knew Europe was pretty much a dead rubber after Leinster game. 

I actually don't think Gray collapsed the maul, I think it might have been Turner who was just back on and the ref just picked on someone else. Interesting that it was a penalty try first time over. We never ever, ever, ever, get that. Wonder if he's have the bollocks to do that to Leicester or Munster! Montpellier had what 5 offences in 22 in a row without a card, Glasgow bring a maul down close to the line and get penalty try and binned straight away! 

Turner's yellow changed things completely and could have been red apparently. The atmosphere was dire as we knew Europe was pretty much a dead rubber after Leinster game. 
I actually don't think Gray collapsed the maul, I think it might have been Turner who was just back on and the ref just picked on someone else. Interesting that it was a penalty try first time over. We never ever, ever, ever, get that. Wonder if he's have the bollocks to do that to Leicester or Munster! Montpellier had what 5 offences in 22 in a row without a card, Glasgow bring a maul down close to the line and get penalty try and binned straight away! 

I was shocked when he gave Gray a yellow tbh. Normally it would take 3 or 4 offences like that to produce a card.

Caught the end of the La Rochelle vs Wasps game yesterday. Post match was all about how far can La Rochelle go in the Cup, given they pay a quite expansive game - compared to the rest of the french teams and the like of the Irish and English teams.

You had Odriscoll and Dallallgio in the studio pretty much saying you cant win in the later stages of Europe playing an open expansive game, you need a team that can get their noses in front, then shut down the opposition to see the game out, and as much as I hate to admit it, that is exactly the problem with Glasgow in Europe, we dont control games enough. Even in the league, we haven't controlled the games enough and are just relying on outscoring teams, which in the league we are managing fine, but in Europe, when teams are putting out their best XV we are struggling.

I think we could do with a better balance (as much as I love the attacking flair from Price and Russell), as there are times when kicking into the 22 and playing the corners is as effective as trying to run it at the half way looking for gaps. I think it is about getting the balance and playing in the right area's.

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Can't argue with any of that. The most galling thing about Turner's yellow was that it was so utterly needless, they were penned into their own 22 and Glasgow were in complete control of the game. I honestly think if Glasgow could have got another couple of scores at that point then it would have been a stroll in the second half.

3 hours ago, flyingscot said:

When we had that push deep in their 22 before Turner was yellow carded that was a crucial spell.  If we had breached their try line at that point we'd then have natural momentum and Montpellier would go 'night night'. 

Imo the Montpellier maul was very powerful and defo heading over.  Looking at the replay he was clinging on at the side and pulled it down hoping he'd get away with it.  If we had accepted a try we'd have made it a tough angle for the conversion and kept 15 players on the park.  You can't be a man down for a total of 20 mins vs decent sides and expecting to win games. 

Priority is the Edinburgh away game but it'll be important to salvage a bit of pride in France this Saturday.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:59, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Suddenly money for this, 7s and "Super 6"?

Last time we tried to take-on the English at Worcester things ended badly. At least on this occasion we won't have to worry about Oliver Cromwell, tbf.

So does this mean key players like Jonny Gray or Stuart Hogg etc will be encouraged to go there if they wish to move out of Scotland. So a spine of Scottish internationals in England but at one team. How does this work for the deal with London Scottish and does this mean other internationals already in England will try to be signed up by warriors?

5 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

So does this mean key players like Jonny Gray or Stuart Hogg etc will be encouraged to go there if they wish to move out of Scotland. So a spine of Scottish internationals in England but at one team. How does this work for the deal with London Scottish and does this mean other internationals already in England will try to be signed up by warriors?

I can't see the SRU being willing to pay a big salary to the likes of Hogg or Gray to have them play in the Premiership. I'd imagine it would be used more as a funnel for the Anglos

Refs for Six Nations have been announced
Wales v Scotland

Referee: Pascal Gauzere (France)
Assistant 1: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 2: Matthew Carley (England)
TMO: David Grashoff (England)

Scotland v France

Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Assistant 1: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant 2: Paul Williams (New Zealand)
TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)

Scotland v England

Referee: Nigel Owens (Wales)
Assistant 1: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 2: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

Ireland v Scotland

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant 1: Ben O'Keeffe (New Zealand)
Assistant 2: Luke Pearce (England)
TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)

Italy v Scotland

Referee: Pascal Gauzere (France)
Assistant 1: Jérôme Garcès (France)
Assistant 2: Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TMO: Marius Jonker (South Africa)

Seems mental you'd have Owens at a game running a line when touch judges don't do much in rugby (or at least don't seem to), especially when there is a TMO. I'm sure he did that last season too in one of our games. Yet they used to use less experienced/ranked refs as touch judges in the past - remember the Changleng (sp?) Brothers only ever carrying flags at the 5/6 Nations games. Seems a waste of a good ref, especially when it's Lacey the main man.

How famous you are and who you play for seems to be the main factor in how long you get suspended for in rugby. Pretty sure Kepu's flying shoulder charge to Hamish Watson's head was punished less severely than Turner's offence.

28 minutes ago, GAD said:

How famous you are and who you play for seems to be the main factor in how long you get suspended for in rugby. Pretty sure Kepu's flying shoulder charge to Hamish Watson's head was punished less severely than Turner's offence.

Kepu banned for 3 weeks. Taufa'ao Filise also banned for 3 weeks.

I haven't watched the highlights yet but was Turner's worse than theirs? Bearing in mind that Kepu's was an uproarious assault and Filise should be commended for showing such vigour for a 40 year old.