Rugby Union

kiwififer

World rugby awards today the winners were 

World Rugby Men's Player of the Year: Beauden Barrett (New Zealand
World Rugby Women's Player of the Year: Portia Woodman (New Zealand).
Team of the year – Black Ferns
Coach of the Year - Eddie Jones (England)
World Rugby Referee Award – Joy Neville (Ireland)
IRPA Try of the Year - Joaquin Tuculet (Argentina)
World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year - Rieko Ioane (New Zealand)
World Rugby's Men's Sevens Player of the Year - Perry Baker (USA)
World Rugby's Women's Sevens Player of the Year - Michaela Blyde (New Zealand)
IRPA Special Merit - Rachael Burford and Richie McCaw
Award for Character - Eduardo "Coco" Oderigo
Vernon Pugh Awards for Distinguished Service - Marcel Martin

I had a good time at Murrayfield yesterday.  That was my first rugby game there since the World Cup in 1999, been to Newcastle and Pittodrie for a few Scotland games since though.  I thought it would be a good chance to see a Scotland win against one of the historic powers of rugby but didn't expect such a record breaking game!  It was the girlfriends first ever rugby game and she really enjoyed it too.  We ended up taking the train in the end, it was mobbed as expected but meant we could both enjoy a few drinks before the game.  I was impressed with the pre-match entertainment around the ground.

23847214_2011658845511234_33492385827612

I had a good time at Murrayfield yesterday.  That was my first rugby game there since the World Cup in 1999, been to Newcastle and Pittodrie for a few Scotland games since though.  I thought it would be a good chance to see a Scotland win against one of the historic powers of rugby but didn't expect such a record breaking game!  It was the girlfriends first ever rugby game and she really enjoyed it too.  We ended up taking the train in the end, it was mobbed as expected but meant we could both enjoy a few drinks before the game.  I was impressed with the pre-match entertainment around the ground.
23847214_2011658845511234_3349238582761288591_o.jpg?oh=d7844904045cfa95fe4ccc6fc4562bb9&oe=5AD73AD3

Love the picture. Which try against Oz was this; 6th, 7th ,8th!!!. Get it right up ya Mrs Mangle :lol:

5 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Glasgow highlights now up

Jesus, that's some grim stuff there from the Ospreys. I can't decide which try is the most embarrassing from their point of view. The intercepts are all laughable, and the comedy of errors from Hastings punt through are pretty bad, but I think 12 stone George Horne going right through the prop and no 8 on the line is my favourite.

Great weekend of rugby.  I was at Murrayfield on Saturday and we thoroughly deserved to win as we were clinical.  I think it's maybe a bit early to think of 6N titles as, despite our try scoring, our defence needs a lot of work.  Going away to tough places you need a solid defence imo.  However, moving in the right direction which is great.

A lot will be made of Sekope Kepu getting a red card but we can only play what's put in front of us.  If Kepu wants to shoulder charge someone in the head and give the referee no option then that's not our issue.

I did Swansea in a day on Sunday.  In the morning I flew down to Bristol (sitting opposite Jacko) and with the Cardiff Devils ice hockey team on board after their Saturday win up at the Fife Flyers.  I got the train  from Temple Meads and got a taxi from Swansea.  When I got my seat I had only missed 8 mins and it was 3-0 to Ospreys so that wasn't too bad.  However, to go to a tough place with not a full squad and get a winning BP in such a fashion was a testament to the strength in depth that Rennie has brought and to the quality of his new signings and academy players.  Adam Hastings got MOTM and played very well, but my personal MOTM was Samuela Vunisa at No8.  For his first start after injury he was like a bulldozer at breaking the gainline.  He was like a Josh Strauss but with more power which was great.  Our set piece was good too.  Our scrum was strong.  Halunakonuka looked the part when he came on at the front row too :) 

John Hardie given a three-month suspension.   Still not exactly clear what he's done, but the cocaine speculation would fit if you read between the lines, so to speak.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/17/11/29/scottish-rugby-statement-john-hardie

Silly bugger. Will be available for most of the 6 nations though, first game on February 3rd but he will need some games before going into an international squad.

Silly bugger. Will be available for most of the 6 nations though, first game on February 3rd but he will need some games before going into an international squad.

I’d say Hamish Watson has the number 7 shirt for club and country. If he wants to play six... Barclay has that sewn up. Probably quite a backlog at flanker ahead of him.

I’d say Hamish Watson has the number 7 shirt for club and country. If he wants to play six... Barclay has that sewn up. Probably quite a backlog at flanker ahead of him.

I'm sure he'll be involved a few games in once the inevitable injuries kick in. Thought Saturday's back row of Barclay, Watson and Wilson were excellent, they should be the 3 who start the 6N for me.

48 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Hardie is a brilliant player though. In the world cup and the 2016 6 nations he was one of our best. He's been fucked by injury and now whatever this is, but if he can get fit, a run without injury and over whatever he's done here, he can still be a very important player for Scotland.