Rugby Union

kiwififer

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That scrum penalty gets worse every time you see it - Hames drops his binding from Berghan and starts binding on Turner as well as driving in and up.

The vast majority of referees at any level appear to be making it up as they go along when it comes to scrum time. 

FWIW on the whole I thought he had an okay game.

Just now, BuddieInDundee said:

The vast majority of referees at any level appear to be making it up as they go along when it comes to scrum time. 

FWIW on the whole I thought he had an okay game.

He did, but he also got a couple of major decisions badly wrong.

I will give him credit that he had the balls to bin Cane and Crockett - not many refs would give NZ one yellow, never mind two.

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

He did, but he also got a couple of major decisions badly wrong.

I will give him credit that he had the balls to bin Cane and Crockett - not many refs would give NZ one yellow, never mind two.

Agreed, added to that the amount of high tackles, offsides and blatant killing of the ball on their five metre line it would've been nothing short of a miracle had they avoided a yellow card.

Still feels like a bit of an opportunity missed, but comparing this to the side under Johnson and Robinson coupled with the injuries decimating the pack, it's a hell of an achievement.

Agreed, added to that the amount of high tackles, offsides and blatant killing of the ball on their five metre line it would've been nothing short of a miracle had they avoided a yellow card.
Still feels like a bit of an opportunity missed, but comparing this to the side under Johnson and Robinson coupled with the injuries decimating the pack, it's a hell of an achievement.

Let's be honest the Johnson and Robinson eras aren't even close to being our lowest ebbs of the last 18 years. Hadden for one was much worse.

1 minute ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Let's be honest the Johnson and Robinson eras aren't even close to being our lowest ebbs of the last 18 years. Hadden for one was much worse.

Was using the most recent eras as examples but completely agree with the sentiment.

Growing up with Hadden's and Williams' sides as your inspiration was fucking brutal.

12 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

Was using the most recent eras as examples but completely agree with the sentiment.

Growing up with Hadden's and Williams' sides as your inspiration was fucking brutal.

You mean you weren't inspired by watching Nick de Luca?

3 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

As an outside centre at the time I was starstruck at being able to witness Marcus Di Rollo's twinkling feet in the flesh.

I was genuinely debating whether to use De Luca or Di Rollo as the example there :lol:

<<<anti-Italian bigot

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I was genuinely debating whether to use De Luca or Di Rollo as the example there :lol:

<<<anti-Italian bigot

A wonderful summary of the talent available to us at the time :lol:

7 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Weren't they both the tits who wore orange gloves?

Correct! The way they both handled the ball they may as well have been wearing boxing gloves.

Yeah, I believe he was! What a dark time(although not in glove colour) for Scottish rugby.

It does show how far we've come that we're disappointed to not have beaten New Zealand, when it was only three years ago that beating Italy with a last minute Duncan Weir drop goal in Rome was a great achievement.

Sorry guys, couldn't give my live take on the game as I went to see Ash at the Paisley Christmas lights with my daughter. Was deeply disappointed that they didn't whack the big light button with a guitar at the end of girl from Mars to turn on the lights.

Anyway, watched the second half in the bull. Fucking gutted, but that kind of rugby is the reason I love the game. It came down to two of the best players in the world one on one at the end. That's fucking glorious. Next time.

Just now, peasy23 said:

So Gatland has confirmed that the career threatening injury that stopped their prop coming back on was cramp. Cheating b*****ds.

Gatland must have had no fingernails left at the end of our game. If the "Welsh Lions" get humped next week he's going to look very silly.

10 minutes ago, GAD said:

Sorry guys, couldn't give my live take on the game as I went to see Ash at the Paisley Christmas lights with my daughter. Was deeply disappointed that they didn't whack the big light button with a guitar at the end of girl from Mars to turn on the lights.

Anyway, watched the second half in the bull. Fucking gutted, but that kind of rugby is the reason I love the game. It came down to two of the best players in the world one on one at the end. That's fucking glorious. Next time.

Surely Shining Light would have been more appropriate?