Rugby Union

kiwififer

Wales have made changes to their selection criteria, and have binned completely the "Gatland rule" which allowed the coach to pick up to 4 players who were playing domestic rugby outside of Wales. The number was due to be cut to 2 in 2020, instead it's been done away with altogether and instead any players who now move out of the Welsh club sides will only be considered for international selection if they have more than 60 caps. Players already playing outside of Wales will be exempt from the new rule, but the first big name casualty will be Rhys Webb, who only has 28 caps and has already agreed to sign for Toulon next summer on a 3 year deal. I'll miss his torn face when Scotland beat them again.

The players already outside Wales are only exempt for the duration of their current contract

I can only echo what others have said. I understand it from the point of view of keeping the best talent in the Welsh regions. But surely they must realise that the better players need to progress to other leagues to free up space in the regions to allow the younger players more game time to improve. If they refuse to pick players for moving away from the regions they're just cutting off their nose to spite their face!

I can only echo what others have said. I understand it from the point of view of keeping the best talent in the Welsh regions. But surely they must realise that the better players need to progress to other leagues to free up space in the regions to allow the younger players more game time to improve. If they refuse to pick players for moving away from the regions they're just cutting off their nose to spite their face!

From a Scotland point of view, I want as many of our players to be playing at the highest level they can, if that means the best ones move away then so be it. It's a professional game and the best players are entitled to earn as much as they can, and as mentioned if they do move away that opens up opportunities for the younger guys to break through into the Glasgow and Edinburgh sides. It's obvious to me that the WRU are unwilling or unable to match the wages on offer elsewhere so have resorted to blackmailing players regarding their international careers.

He is loathsome. Everything about him is very punchable.

He could have a thread of his own on here. I'm generally a very relaxed man but that's twice in less than a week that I've been sent into a rage just from watching some sport on the TV. He's a slightly more articulate Michael Owen. c**t.

I'm always unsure who to want to win in these games. The Pro 14 teams to show the English and French that our league isn't a complete shitfest compared to there domestic leagues or the non Welsh or Irish teams as the Welsh and Irish can be c***s who seem to think success is somehow owed to them.

It's a quandary.

Reading about 'Gatland's law' regarding Welsh rugby. Is this something common in rugby or is it only something the Welsh do?
for the Tier 1 sides
Argentina I think only select players that play in Super rugby
New Zealand, England and Ireland(I think) all have you must play for a team in that country(but have more money apart from to keep them there).
France require players to hold a French passport and what country they play in doesn't matter
Australia play in Australia, play in the Japanese league and still have a contract to play for an Australian side or have played in Australia for at least 7 seasons and have more than 60 caps.
Scotland and Italy any player that is eligible
South Africa have a quota system with each match day squad needing a minimum number of black(Habana did not count as he is mixed race) South Afican born players.

He could have a thread of his own on here. I'm generally a very relaxed man but that's twice in less than a week that I've been sent into a rage just from watching some sport on the TV. He's a slightly more articulate Michael Owen. c**t.

Matt dawson n austin Healey are the two i hate the most. They make me feel warm n fuzzy about scott Hastings

for the Tier 1 sides
Argentina I think only select players that play in Super rugby
New Zealand, England and Ireland(I think) all have you must play for a team in that country(but have more money apart from to keep them there).
France require players to hold a French passport and what country they play in doesn't matter
Australia play in Australia, play in the Japanese league and still have a contract to play for an Australian side or have played in Australia for at least 7 seasons and have more than 60 caps.
Scotland and Italy any player that is eligible
South Africa have a quota system with each match day squad needing a minimum number of black(Habana did not count as he is mixed race) South Afican born players.

That's quite interesting. All to support the domestic leagues (apart from South Africa)?