Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 10/17/2017 at 18:11, Salvo Montalbano said:

Didn't they do different sessions? BT the afternoons and the BBC the evening or vice versa? I don't mind the BT rugby coverage but not sure if it'll be as good for Scotland games as the BBC has been over the years.

You could be right but something in my head says that BT showed all the sessions but BBC got to show one session alongside or something like that. Only reason I remember is that they were using the same camera crews the only difference was commentary so if the game had pish commentators you could flick the channels and get the exact same thing with different people talking about it.

You could be right but something in my head says that BT showed all the sessions but BBC got to show one session alongside or something like that. Only reason I remember is that they were using the same camera crews the only difference was commentary so if the game had pish commentators you could flick the channels and get the exact same thing with different people talking about it.

Could be wrong, but IIRC the BBC showed the afternoon sessions an BT the evenings, then I think they showed one semi final each and both covered the final. I'm sure I watched highlights on the BBC at work very late night/early morning.

Real shame for laidlaw but great news for Ali Price. Autumn internationals should be a time for building and Toony will not need to make this choice now.

Would never wish ill on Laidlaw but Russell is an accomplished goalkicker, price is a much better scrum half (arguably so is Horne the next rwc) n gray is just as good a leader. Time to aim for next rwc n develop players who fit the system. Laidlaw's distribution is too slow for Russell n he box kicks aimlessly way too much. Truthfully he could have been emptied even before last rwc. Its not nice to say that but likes of nz n sa win stuff by not being sentimental time we did same. No point having guys like Russell Hogg Seymour Maitland huw Jones etc if the sh won't get the ball to them with space n time for them to work their magic

Barclay is also a doubt as he is struggling with concussion

Chance to look at other back row options. Would like to see Harley used on blind n see guys like Strauss Watson etc given more responsibility. Going to be controversial here n say I don't think Ryan Wilson has been great this season so far.

Looking at earlier posts in the week what were Glasgow and Edinburgh season objectives at the start of the season. I imagine it would be

Glasgow - playoffs minimum aiming to get top of division and competing for pro 14 title and getting past the group stage in Europe.

Edinburgh - compete to get in pro 14 playoffs and compete to get past the group stage in Europe.

Looking at earlier posts in the week what were Glasgow and Edinburgh season objectives at the start of the season. I imagine it would be

Glasgow - playoffs minimum aiming to get top of division and competing for pro 14 title and getting past the group stage in Europe.

Edinburgh - compete to get in pro 14 playoffs and compete to get past the group stage in Europe.

That looks about right but I would add get a playoff spot for the Champions cup for Edinburgh

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Is that the best 4th place finish slot?

the top 3 in each conference enter the playoffs to win the Pro14 and get a Champions cup spot (apart form the 2 SA sides). If a SA side ends up in the top 3 4th place gets the Euro spot they should get. For the 7th Pro14 spot the highest side from each conference have a playoff(highest ranked side at home) to get the final spot 

Two big losses from the squad.

I heard Barclay, and one other player, have been referred to a different hospital (or maybe it was a university doing research) regarding their concussions and, as it stands, they have literally no idea when he'll be able to play again.

Unlike some others, I think Laidlaw is a huge loss. I'm pretty sure Townsend would have started Price anyway but I would have much preferred having Laidlaw on the bench than any of our other options. He may not always provide the quickest ball (though I think he'd get a better balance playing under Townsend) but he provides a calm head and should we get ourselves into a winning position in any of the matches he'd give us the best chance of seeing it out.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I heard Barclay, and one other player, have been referred to a different hospital (or maybe it was a university doing research) regarding their concussions and, as it stands, they have literally no idea when he'll be able to play again.
Unlike some others, I think Laidlaw is a huge loss. I'm pretty sure Townsend would have started Price anyway but I would have much preferred having Laidlaw on the bench than any of our other options. He may not always provide the quickest ball (though I think he'd get a better balance playing under Townsend) but he provides a calm head and should we get ourselves into a winning position in any of the matches he'd give us the best chance of seeing it out.

I agree with your thinking in terms of if we had a lead Laidlaw would be ideal to come on to control the game and look after it, however not so great if we are playing catch up. Agree not sure who is best option for the bench, I would guess pyrgos but he hasn't been great either, not sure about SHC either. If Horne jr had had a bit more game time I would have gone with him.

Laidlaw is a big loss. He might be behind Price, but he's much better than Pyrgos or Hidalgo Clyne and if Russell is injured then we don't have a reliable goal kicker. To be honest, some of the stick Laidlaw gets from Scotland fans is a bit out of order. He's been one of Scotland's best players for the last 7-8 years and has been a fantastic captain. So many times he's been the cool head that got us through when others were losing the plot, Samoa in the world cup being a classic example.

I think Rob Evans (Scarlets and Wales prop) would be the other player.? As he has failed his HIA from a injury in September

Laidlaw is a big loss. He might be behind Price, but he's much better than Pyrgos or Hidalgo Clyne and if Russell is injured then we don't have a reliable goal kicker. To be honest, some of the stick Laidlaw gets from Scotland fans is a bit out of order. He's been one of Scotland's best players for the last 7-8 years and has been a fantastic captain. So many times he's been the cool head that got us through when others were losing the plot, Samoa in the world cup being a classic example.

Duncan Taylor n peter Horne are decent goalkickers and at a push pyrgos can kick too. The point about Laidlaw being a cool head is adequate but equally one of the reasons we were struggling against Samoa was that his distribution was so slow. If we pick Laidlaw there's no real point in picking Russell for me. Laidlaw works best with a Duncan weir kicking ten. Russell needs quick accurate ball which just isn't what Laidlaw was about even at his peak. Pyrgos is probably ahead of shc n Sean Kennedy but we defo dont price being injured! George Horne has been looking very good for Glasgow hawks, n Hastings has played for Currie I think n look decent. Got to trust that these guys are being developed correctly. The lad shiels who was the nine in last u20 rwc also looks a player. Two years out from rwc we should really be thinking about that tourney rather than holding onto past. Its been a failing from early pro years of keeping players past their sell by date. Look how badly the Welsh did in 6n by not utilising their younger options. Laidlaw has been a fine servant but its time to move on n let him get as much time playing highest level of club rugby he can.

I made the point earlier in the thread about Pyrgos being a guy who can come on and close a game out. While I’d rather have Laidlaw and Price, I’d have no problem with Price and Pyrgos.

Pyrgos was a better player with Niko training alongside him. He has been pretty meh when starting but he did a fantastic job closing out v cheetahs.

Refs for end of year tests/Autumn Internationals have been announced

11th November Samoa -Nic Berry (Australia)

18th November All Blacks - Matthew Carley (England)

25th November Australia -  Pascal Gauzere (France)

Refs for end of year tests/Autumn Internationals have been announced
11th November Samoa -Nic Berry (Australia)
18th November All Blacks - Matthew Carley (England)
25th November Australia -  Pascal Gauzere (France)

No Lacey or Clancy lovely