Rugby Union

kiwififer

Just watched the game there. Was a bit of a weird one, as I didn't think we actually played all that well, yet it was still enough to run out comfortable winners. Hopefully Sarto is a big player for us this season, he's a class act and is like a new signing. Jackson is also proving people wrong, and is a much better fullback than Murchie.

Thought Finn looked off the pace a bit, and though I like Hughes, I think he's just lacking that killer pace and acceleration that's going to stop him really making it as a top winger. I actually wonder if he'd be better suited as a centre.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Just watched the game there. Was a bit of a weird one, as I didn't think we actually played all that well, yet it was still enough to run out comfortable winners. Hopefully Sarto is a big player for us this season, he's a class act and is like a new signing. Jackson is also proving people wrong, and is a much better fullback than Murchie.

Thought Finn looked off the pace a bit, and though I like Hughes, I think he's just lacking that killer pace and acceleration that's going to stop him really making it as a top winger. I actually wonder if he'd be better suited as a centre.

On the back 3, yesterday we fielded Jackson, Hughes and Jones - all internationals, and all 3 were excellent. We then brought on Sarto, who was also excellent.

Not in the squad for yesterday - Hogg, Seymour and Masaga, who all need very little introduction, and Robbie Nairn and Sam Yanayawa, who are both absolutely outstanding prospects. Niko could also play there if we were struggling.

A far cry from paceless Glasgow/Scotland back 3s of old!

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

On the back 3, yesterday we fielded Jackson, Hughes and Jones - all internationals, and all 3 were excellent. We then brought on Sarto, who was also excellent.

Not in the squad for yesterday - Hogg, Seymour and Masaga, who all need very little introduction, and Robbie Nairn and Sam Yanayawa, who are both absolutely outstanding prospects. Niko could also play there if we were struggling.

A far cry from paceless Glasgow/Scotland back 3s of old!

It's incredible how far the team has come in the last 10 years.

Overall, delighted with the result yesterday, with a strong defensive performance yet again. Gibbins was outstanding in my opinion, as was Turner who has surprised me with his performances since he arrived. Kebble also played a part in monstering the Ospreys in one of his first scrums after coming on. The Ospreys were really disappointing and ineffective with ball in hand. A lot better than the two pumpings we received from them last year, and a bit of redemption for the embarrassment of a performance against them at home. Munster game is already looking crucial.

Was meaning to ask about this actually, what's it like getting tickets down there if anybody has been before? Assuming it's going to be expensive, but I've heard it's a cracking weekend.

I've only been there once c. 10 yrs ago when we got beat 30 15. Got 2 tickets through a supplier (wasn't corporate); myself and the missus stayed in a b+b about 20 mins walk from stadium. Decent Scotland support down there. Although the Welsh I talked to were fine; there was a bit of a nedish working class to them which you didn't see in other supports. Answer to that is pretty obvious I guess.
Regards tickets for next year; SRU I guess is your best bet. That's my story, sorry it doesn't help much.

Get them through the SRU.

the hotels in Cardiff will be a rediculous price. The alternative is staying in Bristol (45 mins by train) where the hotels will be cheaper but the trains can be a nause, similar to Haymarket after a Scotland game.
Having said that if you're down for a couple.of nights you could probably catch a Cardiff / Bristol / glos, game are they're all fairly close. Even bath isn't too far away and the rec is worth a visit for a game.

I've also found the Welsh can have a Ned element. But it seems more the non rugby guys in the town centre.

Top tip. Even with the roof shut, the stadium is bloody Baltic!!

I've only been there once c. 10 yrs ago when we got beat 30 15. Got 2 tickets through a supplier (wasn't corporate); myself and the missus stayed in a b+b about 20 mins walk from stadium. Decent Scotland support down there. Although the Welsh I talked to were fine; there was a bit of a nedish working class to them which you didn't see in other supports. Answer to that is pretty obvious I guess.
Regards tickets for next year; SRU I guess is your best bet. That's my story, sorry it doesn't help much.

Get them through the SRU.

the hotels in Cardiff will be a rediculous price. The alternative is staying in Bristol (45 mins by train) where the hotels will be cheaper but the trains can be a nause, similar to Haymarket after a Scotland game.
Having said that if you're down for a couple.of nights you could probably catch a Cardiff / Bristol / glos, game are they're all fairly close. Even bath isn't too far away and the rec is worth a visit for a game.

I've also found the Welsh can have a Ned element. But it seems more the non rugby guys in the town centre.

Top tip. Even with the roof shut, the stadium is bloody Baltic!!

Cheers lads, very helpful [emoji1303]

I'm heading down to Cardiff this time with a few mates, they are hoping to get tickets through their club. Hotel prices shot up as soon as the fixtures were announced, but they seemed to get snapped up quickly, we've managed to get a 8 person room in a hostel somewhere in the city centre but it wasn't cheap.

6N fixtures never are cheap.  However, I went in 2012 and got tickets from the WRU's website.  It was during the Andy Robinson-era so I shouldn't have bothered lol.  Might fancy it again next year though.

As for the weekend Edinburgh have done well so far.  However, keep in mind that Cardiff haven't been good so far and the Dragons are still relatively weak.  However, they've dispatched what's in front of them but when they play one of the big boys that'll be a test for Cockerill.

As for my team I was at Scotstoun on Saturday. Ospreys came to make themselves tough to beat and to have a go shere possible so it was a hard game of rugby.  I would have been happy with a win considering the absentees still to return but to get a winning bonus point whilst still not firing on all cylinders was very pleasing.  I thought their yellow which led to our BP try was harsh but at the same time it's the letter of the law that you can't make contact in the air so fair do's.

What pleased me was that Rennie is still looking for improvements which is defo a good thing.  E.g. a couple of missed line-outs, victims of turnovers and losing 3 penalties at the scrum in the 1st half alone show this.

However, I'm sure this will be looked at this week then more players return for Sat night.  I'm thinking of doing the Cardiff trip actually :)

Watching the Glasgow game now, unfortunately with a Welsh commentary.... Ten min in n Welsh lad saying that Glasgow are working on being less of a ten man team !!! May have to bulk order some irony meters at this rate!!

Glasgow could win the Champion cup 5 years in a row, Scotland could beat the AB in November and then go onto win the world cup in 2019. Yet we would still be playing 10man rugby and Wales would be better than us. Don't ask me, check out the scumv forum. Have a stiff drink before you log in though.

Glasgow could win the Champion cup 5 years in a row, Scotland could beat the AB in November and then go onto win the world cup in 2019. Yet we would still be playing 10man rugby and Wales would be better than us. Don't ask me, check out the scumv forum. Have a stiff drink before you log in though.

I'm actually seething listening to this pish! Makes the oz commentary from the summer look neutral....neck rolls are good rucking n forward passes are nice flat ball. Glasgow just living off ospreys mistakes.... Scott Hastings all is forgiven !!.....not really he'd probably agree if he was on comms before telling us how good a centre he was.ETA mitrea is bloody awful.