Rugby Union

kiwififer

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 08:10, honestly united said:

been away so just catching up on things but thoughts on the following,

Pro14

The Pro12 needs much more income or all the best players are going move to France or England who have much more money to spend. The 2 SA teams are going to double the existing TV money as a start. 2 conferences is not ideal but 26 league games would be too many. I think it will stick at 2 conferences if / when the US & Canadians join, then move to 2 leages of 10 if they can find another 4 teams from somewhere. Dont like the additional derby game just so the Irish and Welsh  teams can play each other h&a, but its the best of a bad lot

Semi-Pro Super 6 league

Not sure what to make of this - something had to happen at the level below Pro14 in Scotland so kudos on the SRU for doing something, and I can see where they are trying to go with ringfencing all the professional players in one competition - it looks like 3 clubs each will come under the umberella (and obviously get fringe players from) Glasgow and Edinburgh so they are not spread as thinly as present ( at the moment in league games one club could be boosted by 2 or 3 pro's and the other wont have any). However the money they are talking about is peanuts - about £140 k over 35 players is £4k each or £200 a game. Also dictating that the other teams can pay players is abhorrent, does this include coaches etc as well? It means that players / coaches are not going to advance to bigger clubs as they are just going to stay local. I would like to see them trying to get involved with some cross border competitions with the Italian league or joining the 3rd tier European competition, but I suppose they should now at least be competitive in the B&I cup.

Super Rugby

I think the issue is their conference system was trying to copy the NFL system, and they also have a much shorter season traditionally than in hte NH hence only 15 games (and why they lose all the best players to France as they dont have as much income). Rugby has only recently introduced league systems (its only about 30 odd years since there was no league rugby in England and it was all just friendlies and the John Player cup). I dont know what format the Super Rugby are going to adopt now, I think its down to 3 conferences so will see how that pans out.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 09:01, dogmc said:

Re coaches yeah they would also have to be strictly amateur. This would have a devastating effect on coaching at almost all levels. If the sru try to push strict amateurism for players and coaches we will lose a large number of coaches and players as they simply won't be able to afford to participate and 6 franchises could not possibly accommodate all of those being paid to play / coach. It would also drag down the standards of senior xvs and massively impede youth development. I can't even see what the proposed benefits would be beyond not having top 6 embarrassed if other sides were playing a better brand of rugby. Strongly disagree with no promotion or relegation too as it's no incentive to improve. As others have said if they wanted a closed tier then a district championship would have been way to go. As for pro14 moving on would defo like to see two tiers with Georgian Romanian sides etc and promotion/relegation.

On the subject of two tiers I think this would be a good option after a few years time.

Go back to a PRO 12 with the 4 Irish, 4 Welsh, 2 Scots and 2 South Africans. This would likely be a very competitive league with teams capable of beating each other. Underneath this have 2 regionalised conferences EAST and WEST using the format being used in this years PRO 14. Play teams in same conference home AND away and play other conference home OR away. 6 teams in each conference gives 16 regular fixtures and add in play offs to fill out the season. The conference winners play each other to determine who will play in a Promotion/Relegation Playoff with the last place finish in the PRO 12.

Conference East  

2 Georgian Franchises

2 Romanian Franchises

2 Russian Franchises

Conference West 

2 Italian Franchises 

1 Spain Franchise

1 German Franchise

1 Namibia Franchise

1 Scottish (REDS)

This opens up a vast amount of opportunity to all the tier 2 nations. The Italians although dropping a level would be in a situation where they are winning more games and be competitive. Gives an opportunity for the SRU to develop a third pro team without worrying about the team not being competitive. By keeping the initial conference at 6 teams there is room for future expansion. The PRO 12 would be exciting at both ends of the table. The emerging nations would be part of a format where they can develop their players at club level on the international stage. 

On a side note I think there should be an unattached Americas Conference made up of

2 USA

2 Canadian

1 Uruaguay 

1 Argentina 

6 teams again but sticking to their own time zone. Best to do this at twice home and away for 20 league games. 

54 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

On the subject of two tiers I think this would be a good option after a few years time.

Go back to a PRO 12 with the 4 Irish, 4 Welsh, 2 Scots and 2 South Africans. This would likely be a very competitive league with teams capable of beating each other. Underneath this have 2 regionalised conferences EAST and WEST using the format being used in this years PRO 14. Play teams in same conference home AND away and play other conference home OR away. 6 teams in each conference gives 16 regular fixtures and add in play offs to fill out the season. The conference winners play each other to determine who will play in a Promotion/Relegation Playoff with the last place finish in the PRO 12.

Conference East  

2 Georgian Franchises

2 Romanian Franchises

2 Russian Franchises

Conference West 

2 Italian Franchises 

1 Spain Franchise

1 German Franchise

1 Namibia Franchise

1 Scottish (REDS)

This opens up a vast amount of opportunity to all the tier 2 nations. The Italians although dropping a level would be in a situation where they are winning more games and be competitive. Gives an opportunity for the SRU to develop a third pro team without worrying about the team not being competitive. By keeping the initial conference at 6 teams there is room for future expansion. The PRO 12 would be exciting at both ends of the table. The emerging nations would be part of a format where they can develop their players at club level on the international stage. 

On a side note I think there should be an unattached Americas Conference made up of

2 USA

2 Canadian

1 Uruaguay 

1 Argentina 

6 teams again but sticking to their own time zone. Best to do this at twice home and away for 20 league games. 

I think the issue would be that any 2nd tier would struggle for TV deal / advertising / sponsorship as it would be seen as a 2nd class competition. I agree that it is probably the best way forward, however it may be that some sort of conference system at the top level would need to be in place first until there is enough teams involved as it may put off new teams joining not being at the top table.

I think the issue would be that any 2nd tier would struggle for TV deal / advertising / sponsorship as it would be seen as a 2nd class competition. I agree that it is probably the best way forward, however it may be that some sort of conference system at the top level would need to be in place first until there is enough teams involved as it may put off new teams joining not being at the top table.

There would be something on local TV I imagine similar level to bbc alba. Eurosport might pick it up or premier. The best a 2nd tier could hope for is highlights package though. Thing is with the tier 2 nations and I include Italy in that is they haven't got any other option than to band together a create a similar format and agree to come under a top league.

10 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Fuk that. Let's establish a link with one of the NZ sides

From this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40838389

We have a link with North Harbour in New Zealand , Lille Metropole and Stade Nicois in France and Stellenbosch Academy in South Africa 

13 hours ago, ajwffc said:

From this http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40838389

We have a link with North Harbour in New Zealand , Lille Metropole and Stade Nicois in France and Stellenbosch Academy in South Africa 

Wonder if the North Harbour link is different to the MacPhail scholarship wehre we send young players over to get experience?

Guys like Barclay, Russell, Johnny Gray, Adam Ashe and Grant Gilchrist all went through the Macphail.

Stuart hogg n Johnny gray going to be doing a training session with the Stirling county youth players prior to the Glasgow friendly v Northampton. Nice touch n all the kids are mad excited about it. Some of the embra players did same towards end of last season at a time when they probably wouldn't have felt like it but they were all brill with the kids. Wee things like that have a real positive impact on the youngsters. Good that rugby still has that sort of interaction between grass roots n the superstars.

Stuart hogg n Johnny gray going to be doing a training session with the Stirling county youth players prior to the Glasgow friendly v Northampton. Nice touch n all the kids are mad excited about it. Some of the embra players did same towards end of last season at a time when they probably wouldn't have felt like it but they were all brill with the kids. Wee things like that have a real positive impact on the youngsters. Good that rugby still has that sort of interaction between grass roots n the superstars.

My mate has had his two boys attending the Warriors training camps during the holidays for years and he has always been amazed by the amount of times that senior players have been there, especially during the summer camps when the players are effectively still on holiday.

My mate has had his two boys attending the Warriors training camps during the holidays for years and he has always been amazed by the amount of times that senior players have been there, especially during the summer camps when the players are effectively still on holiday.

It's one of the things rugby is still getting right. The embra boys last season were fantastic with the lads and it was done as a live training session with no media in attendance. Aside from the boost of meeting their heroes n seeing what's possible if they stay motivated, the pros bring a level of technical skills to the sessions that really help whether it be passing rucking etc.

It's one of the things rugby is still getting right. The embra boys last season were fantastic with the lads and it was done as a live training session with no media in attendance. Aside from the boost of meeting their heroes n seeing what's possible if they stay motivated, the pros bring a level of technical skills to the sessions that really help whether it be passing rucking etc.

It's not just the kids, the interaction with the fans on match days (young and not so young!) is brilliant, too.