Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

When are the champions and challenge cup fixtures announced? Is it from next season only the top clubs qualify for champions cup as I see Treviso are still in it.

Very soon I'd hope.  Yep, from next season. However, the 2 SA teams are ineligible at this moment in time.

From next season are they eligible? I thought they would want to play in a cup competition in South Africa on the European cup dates.

How's it gonna work for euro qualification anyway? Are their results expunged and a different table drawn up?

How's it gonna work for euro qualification anyway? Are their results expunged and a different table drawn up?

I reckon there will be an official unofficial overall league table. You could have a situation where 4th in conference B has more points than 3rd in conference A but misses out on top euro spot.

I reckon there will be an official unofficial overall league table. You could have a situation where 4th in conference B has more points than 3rd in conference A but misses out on top euro spot.

My heads already hurting thinking bout it....

30 minutes ago, dogmc said:

I wouldn’t expect them to remove the South African results to work out qualification. The top 3 non-South African sides from each conference qualify plus the team with the next highest points total.

24 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

That’s not possible due to the last qualifying spot being open to either conference. If the team in 4th in conference B has more points than 3rd in conference A they would get the 7th qualifying spot. I assume you could potentially, though it’s extremely unlikely, have a team finishing 5th in conference B and having more points than the team in 3rd in conference A but if you only finish 5th out of 7 in your conference (regardless of how they’re drawn) you don’t deserve to qualify for the top European competition.

ETA: That's all ignoring the SA teams/assuming they finish in the bottom 2.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

A 13-9 win for Tahiti over Cook Islands at the weekend gives them a 2 legged playoff v the 2018 Asia Rugby Championship winner (Hong Kong, Malaysia or South Korea) to enter 4 way Repechage tournament 

Then of course the North American team(s) may well join just to make things even MORE complicated lol.

How would it work with odd number franchises in the league and how they are placed.

America and Canada are looking to have one
Scotland are looking at a third franchise in the future
The Italians may well want to drop one of their failures in the near future.

This does not take into account Spain Germany Georgia and Romania looking at expanding their game and search for consistent top level rugby.

My head is getting fuzzier.

1 hour ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

How would it work with odd number franchises in the league and how they are placed.

America and Canada are looking to have one
Scotland are looking at a third franchise in the future
The Italians may well want to drop one of their failures in the near future.

This does not take into account Spain Germany Georgia and Romania looking at expanding their game and search for consistent top level rugby.

My head is getting fuzzier.

I think that is all just around the corner.  I'd then go with a 12 team top tier where you play home and away.  Then you can have promotion/relegation to a similar division below that.  2 go up and 2 go down to keep it simple.

Below that you can have another suchlike division if there is a sufficient number.  It looks like being a world-wide affair so then we go to regionalised zones where teams can play to enter the main league set-up.

Edited by come on shire

9 hours ago, come on shire said:

I'm thinking of the Connacht away game but wanting to make a weekend of it.  Last time I went I visited the nearby town of Athenry for the hurling.  Does anyone here know if the season's still running in hurling coz I was thinking about it :)

The All Ireland final is September 3rd so you won't catch a game but with Galway already qualified for the final you will have a belter of a day watching it in the pub.

Western Force for the chop when it should have been the Rebels. It would have ended up in the Court if it had been the Rebels but it might still. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-11/western-force-super-rugby-arbitration-ruling/8789736

Don't western force get the best crowds of the Aussie franchises. Also Perth seems a good halfway stop over between SA and Nz