Rugby Union

kiwififer

It sounds more like a way of trying to sell the 'Super Six' idea, by implying that one of them might one day go to the Pro 14... You can tell from the quotes that it's not a measure being tangibly worked on. Anyway the Border Reivers fell flat on its face (twice) as did Caledonian Reds so it's hard to see how a club side or 'amalgamation' could survive in these times of higher wages and trips to Italy, South Africa and perhaps North America.

Also they're saying these semi-professional clubs are going to operate on £200k budgets?! That's only a shade over what Berwick Rangers turn-over each year... we've got 1 full-time groundsman, 1 part-time, 1 part-time secretary and now 1 full-time manager (though that's happened subsequent to the last set of accounts). Beyond that everyone are either players or coaches training 2 nights a week and working in day jobs. With SRU saying £65k has to be spent on coaches, that leaves £135k to pay squad of players who are to combine rugby with part-time employment?

Rest of article suggests enforcing strict amateurism is the desire of some clubs. I still don't see the logic behind it or think it'll work (reporting rumours to HMRC or otherwise).

It cannot n won't work. Would live to know which clubs want strict amateurism? ? No paid coaches or players?? Or do they just want other clubs to not have sugar daddies?? Can't put genie back in bottle n if you did our club game would regress 20 years n take the pros back 15. Not sure if dodson hasnt gotten too trump based on last turnover figures hiding his many awful past decisions but even the financial figs are not down to him....it's the ongoing success that lineen n toony (n clubs development of players) that's resulted in success n full houses at Murray field. He hired Scott Johnson ffs on £250k pa!!!

It sounds more like a way of trying to sell the 'Super Six' idea, by implying that one of them might one day go to the Pro 14... You can tell from the quotes that it's not a measure being tangibly worked on. Anyway the Border Reivers fell flat on its face (twice) as did Caledonian Reds so it's hard to see how a club side or 'amalgamation' could survive in these times of higher wages and trips to Italy, South Africa and perhaps North America.

Also they're saying these semi-professional clubs are going to operate on £200k budgets?! That's only a shade over what Berwick Rangers turn-over each year... we've got 1 full-time groundsman, 1 part-time, 1 part-time secretary and now 1 full-time manager (though that's happened subsequent to the last set of accounts). Beyond that everyone are either players or coaches training 2 nights a week and working in day jobs. With SRU saying £65k has to be spent on coaches, that leaves £135k to pay squad of players who are to combine rugby with part-time employment?

Rest of article suggests enforcing strict amateurism is the desire of some clubs. I still don't see the logic behind it or think it'll work (reporting rumours to HMRC or otherwise).

BTW the threat of running to HMRC is really fecking minter stuff from an SRU blazer given what they pocket off the books. Shocking stuff

Used to follow a wee group on Facebook bout Scottish Rugby but had to leave for my own sanity after the utter vitriol and hatred directed at Jackson signing a one year deal with warriors. Can almost sympathise with the 'casuals' chat you see on boxing thread after that. Aside from fact it's only a one year deal n he covers positions we are normally weak on in autumn n 6 n (clegg ffs!!!!) He was an integral part of Glasgow going from no hopers to play offs. Him n niko saved multiple matches. Saw one moron describe him as a donkey which utterly boiled my pish. Aye he's flawed (esp kicking from hand) but he's done some sterling work for Glasgow n Scotland

Used to follow a wee group on Facebook bout Scottish Rugby but had to leave for my own sanity after the utter vitriol and hatred directed at Jackson signing a one year deal with warriors. Can almost sympathise with the 'casuals' chat you see on boxing thread after that. Aside from fact it's only a one year deal n he covers positions we are normally weak on in autumn n 6 n (clegg ffs!!!!) He was an integral part of Glasgow going from no hopers to play offs. Him n niko saved multiple matches. Saw one moron describe him as a donkey which utterly boiled my pish. Aye he's flawed (esp kicking from hand) but he's done some sterling work for Glasgow n Scotland

He has 31 caps can play across different positions and has had three years in the Premiership. Can't see him starting when the first XV are available but id say he is a better back up than Glasgow have had for the past couple of seasons. Player recruitment since winning the Pro 12 has been erratic at best but I'm actually quite optimistic about this season assuming we get Hogg, Gray, Brown and Jones back on time.

Just a thought but is Russell for the off ahead of the start of the season to fund some of the other contacts?

He has 31 caps can play across different positions and has had three years in the Premiership. Can't see him starting when the first XV are available but id say he is a better back up than Glasgow have had for the past couple of seasons. Player recruitment since winning the Pro 12 has been erratic at best but I'm actually quite optimistic about this season assuming we get Hogg, Gray, Brown and Jones back on time.

Just a thought but is Russell for the off ahead of the start of the season to fund some of the other contacts?

Nah Russell is there til end til the France move. Jackson is an excellent one year deal who fits how Glasgow play and will thrive with price. Hogg gray brown look like it will be autumn at least perhaps more who knows. Guys describing Jackson as a donkey are frankly deserving of a boot in pie [emoji38]

Jackson is an excellent signing for Glasgow. I'm actually quite optimistic the way the squad is shaping up, especially around international times. By my reckoning, depending on injuries, we could feild a team with Pyrgos, Horne, Grigg, Johnson, Jones, Hughes and Jackson as the backline. That's pretty strong.

We could also have Kebble, Rae, Allan, McArthur, Big Brain, Swinson, Harley and Ashe available, as well as some (hopefully) very decent youngsters in Hastings, Horne, Cummings and the younger Fagurson. That looks a better second string than we've had in ages, and considering some of them would have been first choices for the national team not too long ago shows Scottish rugby is finally managing to develop a bit of depth.

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

I think Eurosport have the Italian rights but only in Italy?
Also 6 South African refs have been added to the ref pool

Yep, Eurosport Italia.  However, BBC Alba is showing the Zebre away game.  Treviso not on the TV but that's at home.

In related news, Treviso are the stronger of the Italian teams so they can be tricky over there.  Delighted to get them at home.  Also thrilled to get the 2 SA teams at home.  They're an unknown quantity so best to get them at Scotstoun and learn about them.  SARU have said they'll each receive 5 SA internationalists.  However I can't see their flagship guys such as Etzebeth leaving the richer Super Rugby franchises.  Rare to win in Dublin so glad to get Leinster at home.  Ulster have a new coach and no Paddy Jackson (this season at least) and Ruan Pienaar so they're in transition.  Therefore I'll settle for a trip to Belfast.  Having to go away to the champs Scarlets isn't ideal but you can't have everything lol.

People on that Facebook Scottish rugby forum calling Jackson a donkey and suchlike don't know much about rugby imo.  Maybe not international class in relation to the likes of Russell and Hogg but can still be a stalwart at pro club level.  I think he'll be mainly used to cover injuries, the bench and will start during the internationals.  Won't be surprised to see him become Mike Blair-esque and eventually take up a coaching role.  Are any of you guys on that forum?  Imho, there seems to be a lot of flippant rubbish spouted on it from time to time.

Yep, Eurosport Italia.  However, BBC Alba is showing the Zebre away game.  Treviso not on the TV but that's at home.
In related news, Treviso are the stronger of the Italian teams so they can be tricky over there.  Delighted to get them at home.  Also thrilled to get the 2 SA teams at home.  They're an unknown quantity so best to get them at Scotstoun and learn about them.  SARU have said they'll each receive 5 SA internationalists.  However I can't see their flagship guys such as Etzebeth leaving the richer Super Rugby franchises.  Rare to win in Dublin so glad to get Leinster at home.  Ulster have a new coach and no Paddy Jackson (this season at least) and Ruan Pienaar so they're in transition.  Therefore I'll settle for a trip to Belfast.  Having to go away to the champs Scarlets isn't ideal but you can't have everything lol.
People on that Facebook Scottish rugby forum calling Jackson a donkey and suchlike don't know much about rugby imo.  Maybe not international class in relation to the likes of Russell and Hogg but can still be a stalwart at pro club level.  I think he'll be mainly used to cover injuries, the bench and will start during the internationals.  Won't be surprised to see him become Mike Blair-esque and eventually take up a coaching role.  Are any of you guys on that forum?  Imho, there seems to be a lot of flippant rubbish spouted on it from time to time.

Like I said I gave up on it. The Jackson thing was just one example of how bad it was. Amazing number of people on there seething that toony is Scotland coach too.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Like I said I gave up on it. The Jackson thing was just one example of how bad it was. Amazing number of people on there seething that toony is Scotland coach too.

Agreed.  A lot of folk on that Facebook Scottish rugby forum who thought that we could stick a leash on him and get experience in France for a couple of years then then call him back to manage Scotland like a "good dog" were deluded.  My argument that he's fluent in French, could become a millionaire within a couple of years what with all the cash flying about down there and he could just say "nah guys, I like the lifestyle, I'm staying long term"  fell on deaf ears.  Tempted to leave the group if I'm being honest...  

Edited by come on shire

Agreed.  A lot of folk on that Facebook Scottish rugby forum who thought that we could stick a leash on him and get experience in France for a couple of years then then call him back to manage Scotland like a "good dog" were deluded.  My argument that he's fluent in French, could become a millionaire within a couple of years what with all the cash flying about down there and he could just say "nah guys, I like the lifestyle, I'm staying long term"  fell on deaf ears.  Tempted to leave the group if I'm being honest...  

I'm also of opinion that cotter just wasn't getting the results he should have. Toony winning in Oz with players missing showed that. Anyway yeah its an infuriating forum n I'm much happier not having idiots polluting my time line