Rugby Union

kiwififer

More I see of this the worse an idea it looks. Got pals up north who are all excited at prospect of a north/highland franchise and think it's been well thought through. When asked how the funds will stretch to 35 players, coaches etc I was told but we are producing lots of u18 players.....I'm also increasingly uneasy about preventing clubs outside the bubble tier from being semi pro. I can't see what that will achieve at all other than weakening senior and age grade player development right across the board.

I heard that it was today that Rounds 1-13 were being released by the Pro14. 

I think that it is a good idea that the semi-pro project is happening.  I think that Mark Dodson has got it spot on as there has to be a bridge between the top amateur level and the professional game imho.  I think one of you fine fellows (Dogmc IF I'm not mistaken) made reference to how his child gets taught rugby and it's come on leaps and bounds to when I was in the Falkirk youth set-up and that was only the very late 90's. This is very good to hear coupled with how good Glasgow have been generally (up to now at least) and the resurgence of Scotland due to the talented players we have now.  However, the current Scotland team will be ready to hang up their boots in about 10 years time so this new model will hopefully allow for just as talented players to take their place.  Without this it'll just be a flash in the pan which would be very sad.  New Zealand and SA have similar models, albeit on a bigger scale, with the ITM Cup and Currie Cup respectively.  Over time it has grown to pay dividends.  The B&I Lions had to work very hard to overcome ITM's Baa Baas in the summer for example. 

As for the league, Rounds 1-5 have been leaked.  As a Glasgow fan, the interesting thing is that Rounds 1-4 are vs teams in our own conference.  We open at Connacht 1st w/e of Sep, followed by our first home game vs Ospreys.  This is followed by a trip to Cardiff Blues then Munster visit Scotstoun.

The 5th game is the 1st game vs a team from the opposite conference.  Outside the play-offs you'll have to wait till the following season for a trip to Treviso if you're a fellow Glasgow fan lol.  I prefer this as Treviso are the slightly better Italian team and can be a nuisance at home so I'd prefer them in Glasgow.

The 2 Irish teams in the other conference are Leinster and Ulster.  Leinster away only would be a nightmare as it's rare to win there so home to them please.  I'd fancy our chances if we go to Belfast this season as Ulster are in a bit of transition.  If I mind right, they've changed their manager and Paddy Jackson will out for the season at least I'd think.  Plus Ruan Pienaar's away and he really made them tick. 

Finally, due to the unknown quantity, I'd prefer to be at home vs the Southern Kings from the opposite conference.  2 home games allows us to size up the new teams for the following season where it'll be 2 away games.  They're each being given 5 internationalists from SARU.  However, I think we can safely say all the major SA internationalists will be happy staying in SA Super Rugby where all the money is.  I can't see the likes of Eben Etzebeth moving to the Pro14 in the prime of his career. 

My final point is the possible introduction of a North American franchise(s) the following season.  I'm all for expansion but if it grows further then we should consider a promotion/relegation format like England and France where 1 (preferably 2) go down which can syphon down through World/Euro divisions then further into regional systems. 

I heard that it was today that Rounds 1-13 were being released by the Pro14. 

I think that it is a good idea that the semi-pro project is happening.  I think that Mark Dodson has got it spot on as there has to be a bridge between the top amateur level and the professional game imho.  I think one of you fine fellows (Dogmc IF I'm not mistaken) made reference to how his child gets taught rugby and it's come on leaps and bounds to when I was in the Falkirk youth set-up and that was only the very late 90's. This is very good to hear coupled with how good Glasgow have been generally (up to now at least) and the resurgence of Scotland due to the talented players we have now.  However, the current Scotland team will be ready to hang up their boots in about 10 years time so this new model will hopefully allow for just as talented players to take their place.  Without this it'll just be a flash in the pan which would be very sad.  New Zealand and SA have similar models, albeit on a bigger scale, with the ITM Cup and Currie Cup respectively.  Over time it has grown to pay dividends.  The B&I Lions had to work very hard to overcome ITM's Baa Baas in the summer for example. 

As for the league, Rounds 1-5 have been leaked.  As a Glasgow fan, the interesting thing is that Rounds 1-4 are vs teams in our own conference.  We open at Connacht 1st w/e of Sep, followed by our first home game vs Ospreys.  This is followed by a trip to Cardiff Blues then Munster visit Scotstoun.

The 5th game is the 1st game vs a team from the opposite conference.  Outside the play-offs you'll have to wait till the following season for a trip to Treviso if you're a fellow Glasgow fan lol.  I prefer this as Treviso are the slightly better Italian team and can be a nuisance at home so I'd prefer them in Glasgow.

The 2 Irish teams in the other conference are Leinster and Ulster.  Leinster away only would be a nightmare as it's rare to win there so home to them please.  I'd fancy our chances if we go to Belfast this season as Ulster are in a bit of transition.  If I mind right, they've changed their manager and Paddy Jackson will out for the season at least I'd think.  Plus Ruan Pienaar's away and he really made them tick. 

Finally, due to the unknown quantity, I'd prefer to be at home vs the Southern Kings from the opposite conference.  2 home games allows us to size up the new teams for the following season where it'll be 2 away games.  They're each being given 5 internationalists from SARU.  However, I think we can safely say all the major SA internationalists will be happy staying in SA Super Rugby where all the money is.  I can't see the likes of Eben Etzebeth moving to the Pro14 in the prime of his career. 

My final point is the possible introduction of a North American franchise(s) the following season.  I'm all for expansion but if it grows further then we should consider a promotion/relegation format like England and France where 1 (preferably 2) go down which can syphon down through World/Euro divisions then further into regional systems. 

The caveat I would have that is that we already have semi pro rugby. If my lads club (they are in the top tier) are not in the franchise bubble then they will not be allowed to pay for players or coaches (according what the sru has said so far) and all that development infrastructure will collapse. That would be replicated across the board. Right now clubs from the highlands to the borders are developing young players in an increasingly professional manner. Enforcing strict amateurism will mean 6 franchises have to do it (and they will one hundred per cent concentrate resources on 1st xv )and fee paying schools. The BT premiership isn't the only tier of Scottish Rugby that is semi pro. That reaches to an extent right down the leagues. There is also going to be no competitive game time for the fringe embra n Glasgow players as according sru they won't be allowed to appear for the franchises whereas now many club games feature pros. This won't bridge the gap between the amateur / semi pros and pros it could even widen it. Eta the huge improvement in u20s show that our age grade development is already going in the right direction. I hope we aren't about to throw all that away for the sake of an ill thought out vanity project.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/rugby/15456964.Third_Scottish_PRO14_team_on_agenda_as_Dodson_outlines_revolutionary_plans_for_Scottish_rugby/

Interesting article. Good to see the third pro team is on the agenda and the SRU are working towards it. Interesting as well the level of debt the SRU are still in but the figure quoted seems manageable.

11 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/rugby/15456964.Third_Scottish_PRO14_team_on_agenda_as_Dodson_outlines_revolutionary_plans_for_Scottish_rugby/

Interesting article. Good to see the third pro team is on the agenda and the SRU are working towards it. Interesting as well the level of debt the SRU are still in but the figure quoted seems manageable.

It sounds more like a way of trying to sell the 'Super Six' idea, by implying that one of them might one day go to the Pro 14... You can tell from the quotes that it's not a measure being tangibly worked on. Anyway the Border Reivers fell flat on its face (twice) as did Caledonian Reds so it's hard to see how a club side or 'amalgamation' could survive in these times of higher wages and trips to Italy, South Africa and perhaps North America.

Also they're saying these semi-professional clubs are going to operate on £200k budgets?! That's only a shade over what Berwick Rangers turn-over each year... we've got 1 full-time groundsman, 1 part-time, 1 part-time secretary and now 1 full-time manager (though that's happened subsequent to the last set of accounts). Beyond that everyone are either players or coaches training 2 nights a week and working in day jobs. With SRU saying £65k has to be spent on coaches, that leaves £135k to pay squad of players who are to combine rugby with part-time employment?

Rest of article suggests enforcing strict amateurism is the desire of some clubs. I still don't see the logic behind it or think it'll work (reporting rumours to HMRC or otherwise).

Warriors fixtures, only 1 of the first 7 not on tv.

00f169607ca9627194f17e7eae01ef84.jpg

Makes you wonder about the value of a season ticket if you can watch that many from the living room.

That said we seem better prepared for the Autumn Tests and 6N with a mix of non international Scots, foreigners and the likes of Scott Cummings and DArcy Rae with another season under their belts.

How come Scotland ain't playing in the lassies world cup?

Lost in play v Spain home n away....tbf was not long after shade munro had got them moving forwards. Today I'd back us to beat them but squad was a shambles before he took over. 2 wins in 6n this year....the Wales one was first in SEVEN years n we took some serious beatings in that time. Only 12 sides I believe in women rwc too (might b wrong)eta the English lass refereeing the home play off leg v Spain was roughly 19600 times better than most pro12 refs....pro12 now...whatever.