Rugby Union

kiwififer

First time I have heard of this
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/first-players-in-scottish-rugby-nice-exchange-revealed-1-4513746
A budget of €1.4m probably is bigger than the top Premiership clubs in Scotland, but surely they could have found a club a bit higher than the 4th tier in France? London Scottish is a much higher standard to start with

Very interesting. 4th tier must be a "cheap" option then get the team up the leagues. It also puts the SRU in the door of the Celtic league with Glasgow and Edinburgh, English league with the exiles and the French league now with this nice based club.

It makes me wonder if the SRU are trying to set up a similar set up in one of the super rugby nations.

22 hours ago, honestly united said:

First time I have heard of this

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/first-players-in-scottish-rugby-nice-exchange-revealed-1-4513746

A budget of €1.4m probably is bigger than the top Premiership clubs in Scotland, but surely they could have found a club a bit higher than the 4th tier in France? London Scottish is a much higher standard to start with

Nice to see Murchie get a good gig to (presumably) end his playing career.

16 minutes ago, salmonbuddie said:

Nice to see Murchie get a good gig to (presumably) end his playing career.

I wonder if this is the reason he didn't get re-signed by Glasgow (and hasn't been snapped up by anyone else) if the SRU had planned for him to get this player coach role for quite some time. Does look like the SRU are actually doing some long term planning to get development players some decent game time

1 minute ago, honestly united said:

I wonder if this is the reason he didn't get re-signed by Glasgow (and hasn't been snapped up by anyone else) if the SRU had planned for him to get this player coach role for quite some time. Does look like the SRU are actually doing some long term planning to get development players some decent game time

That's the part that's difficult to believe...

:)

How come Glasgow and Edinburgh are both SRU owned but Edinburgh supporters with season tickets get free entry to two preseason games and Glasgow are having to pay for theirs? Plus Edinburgh tickets are considerably cheaper in the first place, if the Glasgow ones had a big increase for player retention does that mean they aren't interested in improving the Edinburgh squad.

12 hours ago, ddfg said:

How come Glasgow and Edinburgh are both SRU owned but Edinburgh supporters with season tickets get free entry to two preseason games and Glasgow are having to pay for theirs? Plus Edinburgh tickets are considerably cheaper in the first place, if the Glasgow ones had a big increase for player retention does that mean they aren't interested in improving the Edinburgh squad.

Is it not just more to do with the fact Glasgow can sell theirs and Edinburgh can't? I'm sure Edinburgh would be charging the same if they thought they could sell them.

So still nothing heard about the pro 14 format. I'm sure in the last bbc article about it the league format was to be finalized for this week just gone. It's simply not good enough and is beyond a joke. And with the situation with zebre and Italian rugby in general testing times ahead for the league

So still nothing heard about the pro 14 format. I'm sure in the last bbc article about it the league format was to be finalized for this week just gone. It's simply not good enough and is beyond a joke. And with the situation with zebre and Italian rugby in general testing times ahead for the league

Yep it's farcical now. It was crazy to try to make such fundamental changes for this season so close to the start. Absolute amateur hour. Amazed clubs haven't started to kick off. Surely the logistics of accommodation / travel booking for hospitality etc etc are getting critical.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Yep it's farcical now. It was crazy to try to make such fundamental changes for this season so close to the start. Absolute amateur hour. Amazed clubs haven't started to kick off. Surely the logistics of accommodation / travel booking for hospitality etc etc are getting critical.

Even just a statement to say where they are in the negotiations with all those involved would be better than the wall of silence that the fans currently have.

Even just a statement to say where they are in the negotiations with all those involved would be better than the wall of silence that the fans currently have.

Totally agree. Can't imagine TV companies are too chuffed either as they can't advertise schedules. It must be costing the clubs money.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Totally agree. Can't imagine TV companies are too chuffed either as they can't advertise schedules. It must be costing the clubs money.

Its a terrible advert to potential and existing fans. And it certainly doesn't paint the associated unions in any positive light. Its not that I wanna moan about I just want clarification. This season I'm excited to see what happens.

Its a terrible advert to potential and existing fans. And it certainly doesn't paint the associated unions in any positive light. Its not that I wanna moan about I just want clarification. This season I'm excited to see what happens.

Yep agreed

To be fair, I'm not saying they've done it well but the league is only trying to react to other events going on.

Obviously there was already talk of South African teams joining but that would originally have been planned a year or two in advance. Only the two teams getting kicked out Super Rugby meant it all had to be done last minute. The league didn't have much choice as the two clubs had players under contract and could hardly sit about for 12 months with no income and join the following year.

Add in the Italians messing about with Zebre, again something they could have organised during the previous season, and an issue I'm sure the Celtic league were worried about.

Yes, their communication has been poor but they can't really announce anything until things are official. Any losses clubs make will be more than made up for by the extra money coming in for now and in future seasons they'll have time to organise the fixtures etc well in advance.

Did anyone else see on the BBC sport rugby union page about the SRU rehashed plan for the semi pro league. 6 teams this time based in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Borders and North and Midlands district. 2 more based elsewhere. Elsewhere I don't know any ideas?? I like the idea to bridge the gap but will the fans flock to to these teams I dunno.

Did anyone else see on the BBC sport rugby union page about the SRU rehashed plan for the semi pro league. 6 teams this time based in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Borders and North and Midlands district. 2 more based elsewhere. Elsewhere I don't know any ideas?? I like the idea to bridge the gap but will the fans flock to to these teams I dunno.

Looks like a proper mess

Re the Pro12 I messaged the Warriors on Friday as much out of devilment as anything to ask what was going on and got a reply saying they haven't heard anything from Pro12, I wasn't expecting a personal early view of the set up and fixture list but c'mon show us it isn't amateur hour

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

You would have thought the likes of Ayr and Stirling would ve in the mix, as the others plus you would have thought the likes of additional borders teams. Maybe Dundee if n&m goes to Aberdeen

Well I thought that they would be genenerally city based with drawn out Catchment area's.

Glasgow - taking in southwest and west of Scotland

Edinburgh - taking in Fife and Lothian

Borders

Stirling - taking in central Scotland

Dundee/Perth - taking in north of the Tay and Angus

Aberdeen - taking in Aberdeenshire, Banff etc

I realise this doesn't include inverness or the highland and island areas however these are the areas with concentrated population. I don't know how they will market this though. Rugby isn't the biggest sport in Scotland and is only healthy supported really on a national level. Yes Glasgow do well but Edinburgh and then into leagues are probably struggling to attract the fans. I wish the SRU luck with this venture