Rugby Union

kiwififer

Zebre have pulled out of the pro 12 and are apparently going to fold and be replaced with another Italian franchise.

Thing is zebre aren't really the problem for me. It's Italian rugby in general. As it stands the Italians don't have the money, player depth, fan base or modern history for two franchises. They have been struggling for years both in the 6 nations and pro 12. They might be better off running one franchise for now and look at second franchise in a few years and see where they are. It's only what the SRU have done.

Thing is zebre aren't really the problem for me. It's Italian rugby in general. As it stands the Italians don't have the money, player depth, fan base or modern history for two franchises. They have been struggling for years both in the 6 nations and pro 12. They might be better off running one franchise for now and look at second franchise in a few years and see where they are. It's only what the SRU have done.

Yeah sounds right....was there not some chat a while back that they were looking at binning both treviso n zebre n replace them with a Rome based franchise?? Sounds like the Italian authorities are all over the shop.

The Italian federation took over the running of Zebre half way through last season as they were bust, and there has been talk ever since of a franchise in Rome. I wonder if this is just a pre-cursor of formally closing down the Zebre (and wiping out the debt) and creating a new club in Rome for a fresh start.

The Italian federation took over the running of Zebre half way through last season as they were bust, and there has been talk ever since of a franchise in Rome. I wonder if this is just a pre-cursor of formally closing down the Zebre (and wiping out the debt) and creating a new club in Rome for a fresh start.

Will they get to keep the history and the titles??

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

Will they get to keep the history and the titles??

Dont think so as there's been too much walking away (and 4 years of history is not much to shout about!)

Had just looked back to see when they replaced Aironi and how bad had they been. Aironi lasted 2 years, and finished bottom both years, but probably not as bad as Zebre last year, were averaging about 4000 in crowds first year although lost 21 out of 22 picked up 8 losing bonus points and beat Bairitz in Europe, who topped their group, and next season won 4 beating Munster and Edinburgh

What caught my eye was that in 2010-11 Trevisio finished 10th, above Glasgow in 11th  with a won 9 lost 13 record (would have been above Connaught  if not for bp) and again in 2011-12 they finished 10th above Edinburgh with a won 7 lost 15 record, and Glasgow would finish 4th.

Edited by honestly united

I think this would be a sensible option. However do they have a smallish stadium in Rome. Stadio Flaminio? Is probably too big and won't be filled most weeks. Be better for traveling fans and get more sponsorship deals in the capital.

The Italians have to change something though because they are struggling domestically and internationally

Zebco, Sevco, it's still rock and roll to me.

Time for all the rumours to get put to bed, get a fixture list published and get people talking about games and players otherwise it should be getting rebranded the unPro 14.

First time I have heard of this

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/first-players-in-scottish-rugby-nice-exchange-revealed-1-4513746

A budget of €1.4m probably is bigger than the top Premiership clubs in Scotland, but surely they could have found a club a bit higher than the 4th tier in France? London Scottish is a much higher standard to start with