Rugby Union

kiwififer

Still a bit of a footer but that actually sounds alright for the fixtures. Will lead to inevitable claims of unfairness as their always in when teams play each other an odd number of times though

A certain imbalance is inevitable in any system that isn't a round robin

The NFL deliberately give the easier fixture lists to the teams that had a poor season last time.

I read somewhere (BBC I think) that the South Africans can win the pro 14 but cant qualify for the champions cup. If so will they play Currie cup games during European fixtures?

In wales some of the press and the general feeling is people are unsure on the South Africans joining stating that they are the weakest of the South African franchises and have generally struggled in Super Rugby. There is a feeling that the pro 14 will be devalued in competitiveness as a result. This I believe is not true. Super rugby is extremely tough and competitive league with domination by the NZ franchises. The Cheetahs and the Southern Kings will be a great addition and bring a different brand of rugby. In an overall league table I reckon they will easily be mid table and challenge for playoffs. I think they will win games such as the Italians Edinburgh and Dragons with relative ease and will start struggling with everyone else picking up wins here and there. 

I also believe this is last chance for the Italians. If they struggle again I do believe they will be told to merge the two teams and the American franchise will come in as replacement keeping it at 14. If the Italians are allowed to keep both teams and the American franchise comes in then really another nations franchise should be brought in. 16 clubs two conferences of 8.   

18 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I also believe this is last chance for the Italians. If they struggle again I do believe they will be told to merge the two teams and the American franchise will come in as replacement keeping it at 14. If the Italians are allowed to keep both teams and the American franchise comes in then really another nations franchise should be brought in. 16 clubs two conferences of 8.   

Americans should be nowhere near the league. I understand the South African teams but taking teams from another timezone adds problems. 

Americans should be nowhere near the league. I understand the South African teams but taking teams from another timezone adds problems. 

I'm curious as to how they perform. I think there will be more money and fan base in an American franchise as opposed to the Italians but would they compete any better. Lessons need to be learned from super rugby though.

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

The pro league only lasted one season didn't it?

yeah, the guy that was running it (US RFU didnt have much involvement as far as I am aware) seems a bit of a charlatan, he basically set up and owned all the clubs, contracted all the players, etc etc and was expecting loads of sponsorship and tv money that didnt materialise. He didn't pay the players on time, if at all, but expected them to be held to the contracts and not go elsewhere. There were stories of restaurants that the teams were using not being paid for players lunches for weeks on end, coaches having to fork out their own pockets to feed the players etc.

Its what happens when you try to force through franchises over organically growing the club game (which is actually quite big in the US as is the college rugby programmes), you need deep pockets at the start as it takes time to build, although probably better long term.

yeah, the guy that was running it (US RFU didnt have much involvement as far as I am aware) seems a bit of a charlatan, he basically set up and owned all the clubs, contracted all the players, etc etc and was expecting loads of sponsorship and tv money that didnt materialise. He didn't pay the players on time, if at all, but expected them to be held to the contracts and not go elsewhere. There were stories of restaurants that the teams were using not being paid for players lunches for weeks on end, coaches having to fork out their own pockets to feed the players etc.
Its what happens when you try to force through franchises over organically growing the club game (which is actually quite big in the US as is the college rugby programmes), you need deep pockets at the start as it takes time to build, although probably better long term.

Interesting. I thought the pro league was going to be separate owners coming together to make a premier league. Didn't realism it was all one guy. The Canadians have an established franchise league would it not be better to bolt onto the Canadian league

Yeah he is waiting to sue anyone starting a pro rugby team in the US as he has an exclusivity deal for another season or so. Canadian rugby is in a worse state than the US to be fair, they are still amateur club and amateur regions, no pro rugby at all in Canada. They were in talks to set up teams with the US Pro league, and got a huge amount of stick by rugby fans in Canada for not going ahead with it, but seems they did the right thing.

According to l'equipe. Johnny Grey has been in France visiting the facilities at Toulouse with a view to signing for them.

I've been in London and had my picture taken at Downing Street that said there's more chance of Jonny signing for Toulouse than me becoming Prime Minister.

Can't fukin wait till the pro 12/14 starts up again.... but ffs what's happening

I'm looking forward to it I actually like the idea of conferences but there are so many questions that need answered. How will European qualifications work?
How will fixtures work?
Will teams do mini tours for away fixtures?
And so many more. come on pull your finger out and tell us what's going on