Rugby Union

kiwififer

Scotland down to 6th in the Rankings as SA move above us, although not much between us, SA and Oz now. Wales still below us in 7th, although gap has closed. Fiji close in on Argentina in 9th. Italy move up to 15th due to the points dropped by Samoa vs Wales.

6th is probably about right for us. Dont see wales as high as 7th tbh. Do the lions tests count for nz ranking points?

36 minutes ago, dogmc said:

6th is probably about right for us. Dont see wales as high as 7th tbh. Do the lions tests count for nz ranking points?

No, lions dont count for rankings, same as the Barbarians.

Only counts when both countries put out their full 1st team (ie recent America 6 nations games against the Argentina XV didn't count for rankings whereas all other games did), and there is 10 points or less between the country in the rankings - ie Scotland and Australia vs Italy had no bearing in the rankings due to the huge gap between the teams, but Fiji vs Italy and Fiji vs Scotland did.

No, lions dont count for rankings, same as the Barbarians.
Only counts when both countries put out their full 1st team (ie recent America 6 nations games against the Argentina XV didn't count for rankings whereas all other games did), and there is 10 points or less between the country in the rankings - ie Scotland and Australia vs Italy had no bearing in the rankings due to the huge gap between the teams, but Fiji vs Italy and Fiji vs Scotland did.

Cheers!

Liked barclays interview with Tom English on BBC website. Honest appraisal of what went wrong v Fiji without any of the bleating and self pity that often comes from professional sportspeople after a defeat. It's encouraging that the players are able to analyse and confront what went wrong. Far too often in the past there was a head in the sand approach.

We could and should have won the game vs Fiji.  You can say sportspeople don't get arrogant coz they're strict professionals but I don't buy that for one minute. They're still just human beings like everyone else.  We went and beat Australia in Sydney so Fiji in Suva must be a walk in the park in comparison.  I think the fans are equally as guilty.  I know I am.  I woke up expecting a tricky game but one we would win anyways.  There's more to their toolbox than just 7's after all then.

Our defence wasn't as good as it was in the 6N and in the 2 previous summer games.  I get that.  However, with the penalties they gave away in dangerous areas we should have did more, even if we did well to score 3 tries.  We constantly went to the corner, as though we were assuming that we'd score tries every time.  Here's a thought:  what if we had went to the posts to keep the score board ticking over instead?  Win the game first then be brave.  I reckon if we had just focused on winning and keeping the scoreboard ticking we'd have won.

Jackson scored a decent try but not international standard imo.  Pyrgos can make things happen at the top level with Glasgow but is clearly off the boil at international level.  We could have won the game had we played Price from the start imo. 

We could and should have won the game vs Fiji.  You can say sportspeople don't get arrogant coz they're strict professionals but I don't buy that for one minute. They're still just human beings like everyone else.  We went and beat Australia in Sydney so Fiji in Suva must be a walk in the park in comparison.  I think the fans are equally as guilty.  I know I am.  I woke up expecting a tricky game but one we would win anyways.  There's more to their toolbox than just 7's after all then.
Our defence wasn't as good as it was in the 6N and in the 2 previous summer games.  I get that.  However, with the penalties they gave away in dangerous areas we should have did more, even if we did well to score 3 tries.  We constantly went to the corner, as though we were assuming that we'd score tries every time.  Here's a thought:  what if we had went to the posts to keep the score board ticking over instead?  Win the game first then be brave.  I reckon if we had just focused on winning and keeping the scoreboard ticking we'd have won.
Jackson scored a decent try but not international standard imo.  Pyrgos can make things happen at the top level with Glasgow but is clearly off the boil at international level.  We could have won the game had we played Price from the start imo. 

That's not a kick in the backside off what barclay said tbf....which I find encouraging purely because he (and I'm assuming by extension) the squad recognise where they went wrong rather than bleating out cliched excuses. Being honest I don't begrudge Fiji to win....they're a great bunch n it clearly meant a huge amount to them. They have also made a huge contribution to our player development thanks to the Fiji weegies. It would have been awful to lose to Italy and it was vital to get one over Oz so overall it's been a good tour.

I agree it was very frustrating watching the lax way we seemed to approach and play the game. Fiji have a slight tendency to lose interest in games once they’re a couple of scores behind so why we didn’t go for the points more often instead of the corner I’ve no idea.

I was also disappointed with how poorly we handled Nakarawa. There are times when he will always get an offload away you can do nothing about but with Townsend in charge, and plenty of Glasgow players involved, we should have been better prepared than anyone to deal with him.

It certainly felt the players were already in holiday mode while Fiji were being extra aggressive. The worst of which saw Tonks, covering at a ruck, virtually running backwards to avoid the hit from a Fijian player who was going to clear him out.

On the other hand, bearing in mind I didn’t see their win against Italy, it was the best performance by Fiji I have seen in a long time. I thought Volavola at fly-half was fantastic. Not only was he kicking their points with ease, he made some excellent clearing/positional kicks, avoiding Fiji’s habit of overplaying with the ball inside their own half. They’re still far too indisciplined and were probably a little lucky the referee just seemed to get bored giving penalties against them after half time but they look a far more well-balanced side than in recent times.

I agree we should have taken the points early on with the penalties, and given Scotlands record at lineouts its probably not the best approach. However we have to remember we did score 3 tries to Fiji's 2 which seems to have been forgotten in all the talk of fantastic Fijian running rugby.

Agree on Nakarawa, he should have been snuffed out much more than he was given half the players and management team would have been training with him every day for a few years. As Barclay states, the tackling wasn't good enough, some of the decision making wasn't good enough, but as long as we learn from it and make some further improvement in November it will all be forgotten. If we can beat Australia again, a convincing win against Samoa, and run NZ close (a better result than the Lions can muster would be superb) and it will set us up nicely for the 6N's.

I agree we should have taken the points early on with the penalties, and given Scotlands record at lineouts its probably not the best approach. However we have to remember we did score 3 tries to Fiji's 2 which seems to have been forgotten in all the talk of fantastic Fijian running rugby.
Agree on Nakarawa, he should have been snuffed out much more than he was given half the players and management team would have been training with him every day for a few years. As Barclay states, the tackling wasn't good enough, some of the decision making wasn't good enough, but as long as we learn from it and make some further improvement in November it will all be forgotten. If we can beat Australia again, a convincing win against Samoa, and run NZ close (a better result than the Lions can muster would be superb) and it will set us up nicely for the 6N's.

Imagine the scenes if the lions get dumped 3 0 and Scotland beat the ABs in November

Edinburgh squad for next season 
DDaFPzTXsAA-8zd.jpg:large

That's actually a pretty decent squad on paper. Done well to keep nel Watson n tovey. Mccallum is one to watch at prop. Can play both sides of scrum n decent in open. Kinghorn n Bryce at full back are tidy too. Hopefully Bennett is back sooner than later.

Seemingly its now a done deal that the 2 SA teams being kicked out of Super Rugby will be joining the Pro 12 possibly for this season coming. Apparently will be playing home and away, but no info on whether it will be a straight 26 games or whether it will be split into pools

Suggesting two groups of 7 on the BBC website.

It still could end up as a league of 12. Generally around this time we start to hear noises about the Italian sides potentially being cut from the league over funding issues.