Rugby Union

kiwififer

When does pro 12 start? Of course I don't think anyone would want to rush him back but it would be a small blessing I suppose if he were fit to start. At least he will be decent rested for the season ahead

First weekend in September is the traditional start time for the Pro 12.

Still a lot of good strength in depth overall.  Duncan Taylor looked to pick up a knock vs Italy so is perhaps inured?  Jones, Tonks and Hughes are young and learning the craft internationally but have been doing a sound job domestically. Lee Jones ran riot over in Paris vs Racing mind. Some summer games can be experimental after a long season anyway.

We'll need to wait and see what happens.

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

Woops.  Just noticed Duncan Taylor at centre. I reckon Alex Dunbar and Pete Horne are being rested to combat the very,very quick Fijians.

Not much of a rest for Dunbar given he's in the centre with Taylor!

Pleased for Jones and Hughes who had very good seasons for Glasgow. Tonks is a bit of a surprise, but he was very good for London Irish, albeit in the Championship.

In Toonie we trust!

Jones and Hughes have played well for Glasgow and given our first 3 choices of wingers are out, its probably the best we have.

Tonks Im not as keen on, but it was probably a toss up between him and Jackson and probably Jackson is a better shout on the bench to start.

Forwards you could make a case that some of the stronger players are on the bench in Nel, Swinson and Strauss but dont have any concerns with those starting which is a good situation to be in. I would say that Stand off is the only position that I would be concerned if Russel got injured as their is no one close to the standard to step in. Everywhere else we seem to have options that are still international class

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Not much of a rest for Dunbar given he's in the centre with Taylor!

Pleased for Jones and Hughes who had very good seasons for Glasgow. Tonks is a bit of a surprise, but he was very good for London Irish, albeit in the Championship.

In Toonie we trust!

I've just had micro-looks at the team as I've been busy at work.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

Jones and Hughes have played well for Glasgow and given our first 3 choices of wingers are out, its probably the best we have.
Tonks Im not as keen on, but it was probably a toss up between him and Jackson and probably Jackson is a better shout on the bench to start.
Forwards you could make a case that some of the stronger players are on the bench in Nel, Swinson and Strauss but dont have any concerns with those starting which is a good situation to be in. I would say that Stand off is the only position that I would be concerned if Russel got injured as their is no one close to the standard to step in. Everywhere else we seem to have options that are still international class

Jackson can cover ten and is well suited to the type of game toony wants to play.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Jackson can cover ten and is well suited to the type of game toony wants to play.

I think Jackson and Horne can cover 10 but they are nowhere near the same standard as Russell or top end international class. 3 or 4 years ago they would probably be 1st choice Scotland standard, but not anymore. I think everywhere else on the pitch you take out the first choice players and there is not a huge drop in standard. At prop you take out Nel and Reid and you replace them with Fagerson and Dell, in the backrow take out Hardie, Strauss and Barclay and you replace with Watson, Wilson and Harley at centre you take out Dunbar and Jones and you can replace with Taylor and Bennett. 

I wouldn't want to be going into the November tests or the 6 Nations with Russell out injured.

I think Jackson and Horne can cover 10 but they are nowhere near the same standard as Russell or top end international class. 3 or 4 years ago they would probably be 1st choice Scotland standard, but not anymore. I think everywhere else on the pitch you take out the first choice players and there is not a huge drop in standard. At prop you take out Nel and Reid and you replace them with Fagerson and Dell, in the backrow take out Hardie, Strauss and Barclay and you replace with Watson, Wilson and Harley at centre you take out Dunbar and Jones and you can replace with Taylor and Bennett. 
I wouldn't want to be going into the November tests or the 6 Nations with Russell out injured.

I'm a bigger fan of Horne n jacko than you but I take your point. Finn can do stuff no one else would even attempt and in this era of highly structured defence that's priceless. He will however lose games by being daft (munster last season for one). It's a price worth paying imo. I like hornes game management n he's a very decent kicker. I think he's vastly underrated by many. Jackson will always get a backline moving if he gets quick ball (he rescued many a lost cause for Glasgow with him n cusiter at halfback) but his biggest problem is his his kicking from hand is utter gash....well that and the victorian explorer beard. In summary yeah at his best finn is properly world class ( his rinsing of Dan carter in the two European games was simply awesome) but Horne n Jackson don't give me the fear at all.....tonks tho....hmm.

I've been watching some of the u20 stuff. The winger... Darcy Graham? He is the dogs bollocks. Reminds me of Shane williams

In the last 3 years the u20s have really started to produce players. My young lad is with the Stirling county youth section and the quality of coaching is outstanding. I think the next few years could be very good for Scottish Rugby. There's going to be intense competition for every single place in the Scottish side. I don't think we have enough players right now for a 3rd pro side but 4 or 5 years down the line I'd like to see caley reds back in the mix. We will need to let these young guys get full time pro rugby. Either that or really commit to London Scottish.

7 minutes ago, dogmc said:

I'm a bigger fan of Horne n jacko than you but I take your point. Finn can do stuff no one else would even attempt and in this era of highly structured defence that's priceless. He will however lose games by being daft (munster last season for one). It's a price worth paying imo. I like hornes game management n he's a very decent kicker. I think he's vastly underrated by many. Jackson will always get a backline moving if he gets quick ball (he rescued many a lost cause for Glasgow with him n cusiter at halfback) but his biggest problem is his his kicking from hand is utter gash....well that and the victorian explorer beard. In summary yeah at his best finn is properly world class ( his rinsing of Dan carter in the two European games was simply awesome) but Horne n Jackson don't give me the fear at all.....tonks tho....hmm.

Having suffered through the Dan parks years jackson was a breath of fresh air when he came through, and I expected him to be the first choice 10 for years to come, however he was overtaken by Weir (the same as Weir was overtaken by Russell) and being back up at Harleguins, and only getting more than a half on 12 occasions (mainly LV and European Trophy) isn't great going. If he was playing more I would be a bit more comfortable with him playing

Having suffered through the Dan parks years jackson was a breath of fresh air when he came through, and I expected him to be the first choice 10 for years to come, however he was overtaken by Weir (the same as Weir was overtaken by Russell) and being back up at Harleguins, and only getting more than a half on 12 occasions (mainly LV and European Trophy) isn't great going. If he was playing more I would be a bit more comfortable with him playing

Yeah he's a confidence player for sure n if he's low he's not great. Between the two I'd go Horne every time. Toony is probably the right coach for Jackson tho n will let him play his natural game.Weir has gone backwards at a rate of knots....really don't know why. Long term hastings will be interesting looks a real prospect. I'll risk some controversy and say that I'd have Horne over sexton or Biggar given a choice. Not taking Russell will be one of the (many) decisions that gatland will be eviscerated for when the lions are rinsed by nz.