Rugby Union

kiwififer

I don't see how 8 semi-pro clubs works (and which 8 to choose? what happens to rest?)... By same token I don't see how a 3rd pro-team works! Aberdeen? Perth? Stirling? Borders?

In terms of Europe - if they won't go back to 6 groups in Champions Cup go to 6 groups in Challenge Cup, making 4 more places. Winners and 2 unlucky Champions Cup runners-up = QFs.

There has been rumblings off a 3rd team for quite a while, and it would be quite welcome to boost the available pro playing pool as we dont have enough players getting regular game time. The last I heard there was some discussion on how the money would be best spent between a 3rd team (which would be largely self sufficent / require a partner / lean heavily on institute of sport for players) or spreading the money to professionalise the scottish league with 8 teams. I think the 2nd option is better, and they should look at getting the teams involved in the British Isle cup and the continental shield gives a minimum of 24 games a season.
On the 3rd point, not heard anything on the Challenge cup, other than the Continental Shield countries are pushing for greater involvement. The main aim is to relegate the 2 worst teams in the Cup to the Shield, however the Top 14, Pro 12 and EP are not going to drop a team to the Shield to give an extra place to Russia / Romania / Spain etc

Edit to add - I have heard some talk to a Pro12 div B with promotion and relegation which would give places to Georgia, Spain, US, Canada, Romania etc but would also have additional Welsh region and another Scottish team, but the latest on trying to reduce Italy to 1 team and adding in the team in Houston probably puts a block on that.

In theory a pro 12 b would be a good thing although I would probably go for two leagues of 10 personally. Promotion relegation playoff between them. But realistically I can't see it.

With the pro 12 now I personally think bringing the exiles in for the Italians would be a better all round option for boosting the league. The other option I think the SRU should maybe take advantage of is the looming collapse of the italians. Should Italy lose both teams and an American franchise comes in I think the SRU should revive a third pro team. Just to get it in the league. I would expect them to be under strength and finish near the bottom for the first few seasons but I think Scottish rugby is generally on the up. Maybe it's time.

3 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

In theory a pro 12 b would be a good thing although I would probably go for two leagues of 10 personally. Promotion relegation playoff between them. But realistically I can't see it.

With the pro 12 now I personally think bringing the exiles in for the Italians would be a better all round option for boosting the league. The other option I think the SRU should maybe take advantage of is the looming collapse of the italians. Should Italy lose both teams and an American franchise comes in I think the SRU should revive a third pro team. Just to get it in the league. I would expect them to be under strength and finish near the bottom for the first few seasons but I think Scottish rugby is generally on the up. Maybe it's time.

I think the issue of a Pro12 b would be that it would not get the media coverage required and the sponsorship / tv deals / finance wouldn't be their to support it. The main purpose of it being to get the Georgians, Spanish & Germans up to tier 1 level, and to give development time to younger players it probabaly wouldn't work with some decent money behind it.

There has always been talk of bring in the exiles but would they want to be part of the Pro12?

On the scottish pro league i beleive it was jst the case of giving the 8 best teams (although with stadia criteria) a set amount of money each year to pay players, and also dish out the institute of sport / surplus Glasgow & edinburgh teams to a smaller number of teams, hence building the quality. I believe the money available though has been spent on giving the 2 teams bigger budgets, which would have to be cut significantly to fund either a 3rd pro team or a pro league.

Because apparently there is no football on Tv today (first Saturday I've had off that I've not been out this year and apparently there's no football) I'm watching the English rugby semi-finals. Who should I support?

Just BT Sport these days. Working weekends was enough for me to cancel sky but thought there would be something on. Some German football but don't really care about that. Might put on the Roma match this evening.

I know the uk has that no love football at 3pm rule but seems like a terrible shame neither of the two relegation candidates are on Tv. Two huge football games in the top flight this weekend but the televised match is a dead rubber.

Two wins from two for Scotland in the Sevens. It's weird watching a sport expecting Scotland to win... even weirder when they regularly live up to those expectations!

Wasn't always that way but Mccrae has done a fine job in last two seasons as coach. Interesting to see what he does as embra defensive coach. Certainly plenty of room for improvement there.