Rugby Union

kiwififer

See for the world cup draw, am I the only one who thinks getting New Zealand would be a good thing? If you get New Zealand in the groups that is you done with them unless you get to the final. You'd play someone like England, Australia, France, Wales, South Africa or Ireland in the Quarters, most of whom we've either beaten or run close in recent years. Also, with New Zealand you don't really have to worry too much about one of your competitors for 2nd spot getting a shock result against them, like Japan did against SA last time.

I think if we got New Zealand and avoided Argentina and Samoa/Fiji, it would be a good draw.

Are Scotland likely to send a strong squad down here for the June test? Just weighing whether paying well over $100 for a ticket is worth it.

Squad for the three games was posted earlier bit here it is again
2576ae9d517d1365aaf4c4a2b4a36c9c.jpg

See for the world cup draw, am I the only one who thinks getting New Zealand would be a good thing? If you get New Zealand in the groups that is you done with them unless you get to the final. You'd play someone like England, Australia, France, Wales, South Africa or Ireland in the Quarters, most of whom we've either beaten or run close in recent years. Also, with New Zealand you don't really have to worry too much about one of your competitors for 2nd spot getting a shock result against them, like Japan did against SA last time.
I think if we got New Zealand and avoided Argentina and Samoa/Fiji, it would be a good draw.

Not the worst shout tbf.

I cant see who else they would pick, they wouldn't go with just Jackson

If they don't call up Kinghorn from the u20s that leaves us a choice between Rory Hughes/Glen Bryce/Tom Brown/Peter Murchie. Or calling up Duncan Weir as 10/15 cover or postponing Sean Lamonts retirement.

I think given all that I would just pull Kinghorn up from the u20s.

If they don't call up Kinghorn from the u20s that leaves us a choice between Rory Hughes/Glen Bryce/Tom Brown/Peter Murchie. Or calling up Duncan Weir as 10/15 cover or postponing Sean Lamonts retirement.

I think given all that I would just pull Kinghorn up from the u20s.

Murchie hasn't been up to much recently I'd go Bryce purely cos he has a turn of pace n the u20s could really do with Kinghorn for the rwc. What's happened to tonks these days? He used to be the utility cover for 10 n 15 but no idea where he's at these days or what kinda form he's in.eta just seen jack cuthbert in 7s squad so assuming hes eligible. Always liked him as a counter attacking 15 at embra, good broken field runner.

That'll do. Only downside is that we will play New Zealand or South Africa if we go through, so semis look unlikely even if we win the group.

A shit forgot about that.

Anybody know the order of the games as we'd probably rather not play Japan first

Japan with a borderline 2nd string caused us lots of bother last summer and will be well up for it....however it's a great draw for 2nd tourney running and 2nd shite one in a row for England. Tough to get to semis but we've only ever made them once. Would see us n sa as a tight game if (IF) we could top the group. It's not a gimme group but could be so much worse. Worth bearing in mind we have a fairly young squad many of whom, avoiding injury, will be hitting their peak for this tourney.

I'd take that group. Even though Japan won't be easy as 3rd seeds (though still rather than than Argentina), Ireland are probably the most beatable of the 1st seeds.

I'd take that group. Even though Japan won't be easy as 3rd seeds (though still rather than than Argentina), Ireland are probably the most beatable of the 1st seeds.

Yep totally agree. Wouldn't fancy any of the other groups tbh.