Rugby Union

kiwififer

I agree with a lot of that. 
Cotter did it at Scotland but Lineen and Townsend drove professionalism on at Glasgow a notch. 
Can't see many Scots in a Lions XV. Hogg maybe, Maitland has a shot as does Johnny Gray, but Gatland will pick others. I think Nel would have gone but for injury. 
As for the pots- not sure but think it would if they qualify would be Pot 4 - Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Romania and Pot 5 - USA, Namibia, Canada,+1 other 

Ireland, Japan, Romania and Namibia please.

I like cotter as a guy but he's had the best squad of players that we've had for 25 years and couldn't get higher than 4th (same place women finished in their first season with a proper coaching system in place). Rwc was decent but we had a piss easy draw. We still struggled v Samoa and in 1st half's v usa n Japan. Most of our improvement has cone through the players improving at club level. One win each v Ireland Wales france n none against England sa nz or Aus isn't really that stellar. Previous coaches with worse players have managed wins v England sa n Aus. I think ultimately he's had a pretty easy ride from the media pundits n fans. Williams or hadden would have been crucified for conceding 61 points in a 6n match with what were pretty poor players. To do it with guys we currently have is poor. Sounds like im really down on vern but im not like i said i think hes a good guy but he hasnt gotten the results that the players are potentially capable of. I defo think it's time to get townsend in and let guys such as ford n laidlaw concentrate on club rugby. We are capable of doing something special with this group from next seasons 6n through to next rwc. Being selfish I hope we have very few scots in lions squad. A battering under gatland will be of much less benefit compared to a tour under toony. If it had been schmidt or Eddie Jones taking lions it would be different but gatland is horribly predictable.

The draw is the 10th of  May and if it the same as last time the pots should be 

Pot 1 New Zealand, England, Australia, Ireland

pot 2 Scotland, France, South Africa, Wales

pot 3 Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Italy

pot 4 Americas 1, Europe1, Oceania 1, Africa 1(was Asia 1 but Asia don't have a direct place )

pot 5 Americas 2, Oceania 2, Repechage 1, Repechage 2

With 

Americas 1 will be the winner of a 2 leg game between Canada and USA in the end of ~June beginning of July 

Americas 2 will be the winner of a 2 leg game between loser of  Canada and USA v winner of 2017 CONSUR Rugby Championship "A" (Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay) in 2018 

Americas 3 Runner up of game between loser of  Canada and USA v winner of 2017 CONSUR Rugby Championship "A" (Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay) in 2018 

Oceania 1,2,3 based on combined table of 2016/2017 World Rugby Pacific Nations Cup (Fiji,Samoa,Tonga)

Oceania 4 winner of the 2017 Oceania Rugby Cup

Africa 1 winner of Division 1A in the 2018 Africa Cup

Africa 2 loser of Division 1A v winner of Divison 1B in the 2018 Africa Cup

Asia 1 winner of 2018 Asia Rugby Championship(Runner up if Japan win it)

Europe 1 top team of combined  2017/2018 Rugby Europe Championship

Europe 2 runner up  team of combined  2017/2018 Rugby Europe Championship v winner of Portugal v winner of Rugby Europe Conference 2 v Rugby Europe Conference 1

Repechage 1  winner of Europe 2 v Oceania 3 in a 2 leg game in June 2018 

Repechage 2 winner of Asia 1 v Oceania 4 in a 2 leg game in 2018, runner up of Europe 2 v Oceania 3, Americas 3 and Africa 2 will enter a round robin tournament with each team playing each other once at a neutral venue. 

As long as we avoid NZ and Argentina, I would be confident of getting out the group against anyone else. We always seem to do well against Aus, granted we have lost the last 2 but have been close games, and we won the 2 before that, we have just beaten Ireland, and we are due a win against England.

Im hoping we get some new teams at the RWC, but cant see it being much different. 12 out 20 we already know, of the other 8

2 out of Fiji, Samoa & Tonga (in that order I would think) with 3rd place heading to the repechage. This was one of the worst acts of protectionism ever, lets guarantee all 3 PI's a place (whoever doesn't qualify direct will win repechage) and took a place of Asia 1. Granted Asia 1 wont be that great, but why take the tournament to a new continent, but only have the hosts playing in it? And why the closed shop of those 3 playing themselves to qualify, why not include the other oceania teams?

2 out of USA, Canada & Uruguay with the 3rd place heading to the repechage. Uruguay will win CONSUR, with Brazil 2nd (could do with America's 4 as Brazil have beaten both US & Canada in the last to America's 6 nations). I wouldn't be surprised if Uruguay beat Canada, as Canada have been dreadful the last year and are going backwards quickly and Uruguay beat them this year.

Europe 1 will more than likely be Romania or Spain however I wouldn't rule out Russia or Germany just yet. Europe 2 is the winner of the play off of the  runner up of those 4, vs Portugal (as the RET winners), if Portugal get past the qualifiers from the lower tiers.

Africa 1 probably Namibia as they play there 3 hardest games at home in the qualifiers (6 teams in the 2017 Africa Gold Cup) but Kenya and Zimbabwe both have a chance as have been improving recently and Uganda showed up well in the 7's earlier this year also

Asia 1 will come down to either Hong Kong or South Korea 

So the pots will probably be 

pot 4 USA (Americas 1), Romania (Europe1), Fiji (Oceania 1), Namibia (Africa 1)

pot 5 Canada (Americas 2), Samoa (Oceania 2), Tonga (Repechage 1 (Tonga vs Russia)), Uruguay (Repechage 2, Hong Kong vs Cook Islands, plus Uruguay, Kenya and Russia)

All very predictable, and you can argue you always want the strongest teams, but your looking at having the same teams qualify as last time, and no new teams except for potentially Hong Kong, Cook Islands and Kenya for the last Repechage position.

1 hour ago, Northsea80 said:

Has anyone seen any of the ex pros lions picks? Loaded with Welsh players. Shane Williams on BBC had six in his team and said it would have been seven but he felt obliged to pick Hogg instead of Halfpenny.

This doesn't surprise me.  I just spent half an hour browsing a Welsh rugby message board: http://www.scumv.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=ea3b31fb2902b1609cd733fb3214b2a9

They are clearly a sour, dour shower of bitter halfwits and their thread on the Scotland vs Italy game was priceless: http://www.scumv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=72192&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=8babbf008e381290f3ab96d370d9935e

They also seem to believe that George North is still a good winger and a shoo-in for the Lions.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

This doesn't surprise me.  I just spent half an hour browsing a Welsh rugby message board: http://www.scumv.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=ea3b31fb2902b1609cd733fb3214b2a9

They are clearly a sour, dour shower of bitter halfwits and their thread on the Scotland vs Italy game was priceless: http://www.scumv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=72192&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=8babbf008e381290f3ab96d370d9935e

They also seem to believe that George North is still a good winger and a shoo-in for the Lions.

Wads looking there at my work on Saturday night surprised it did not crash like after we beat them 

2 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Has anyone seen any of the ex pros lions picks? Loaded with Welsh players. Shane Williams on BBC had six in his team and said it would have been seven but he felt obliged to pick Hogg instead of Halfpenny.

SLI-HASTINGS-XV-1847x1080_rdax_1000x585_

_95230792_phillipslions.jpg_95228607_getimage-1.png

15 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Welsh international fans have been like this for a while (club fans can actually be decent guys). The guy who doesn't know why Scotland are playing in white says it all! Sadly some Irish fans are going the same way, at least there is still a decent amount of folk that remember their bad old days and are friendly.