Rugby Union

kiwififer

Romania could yet win REC 2017.

Decider v Georgia tomorrow.

EDIT: IMO the scores of 2yrs tournaments (i.e. 10 games) should be aggregated - then bottom of 6N and top of REC contest a 2-legged playoff in even-numbered Junes.

Romania win 8 7. Sounds like a classic. Not enough points diff for Romania to overtake the Georgians so their bonus point keeps them top

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Actually the teams that will be 3rd seeds are all tricky. Nice to be above Wales

Australia and Georgia would be who I would want right now, but seeing as the games are two fucking years away, who knows. It really is stupid doing the draw so early.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Romania win 8 7. Sounds like a classic. Not enough points diff for Romania to overtake the Georgians so their bonus point keeps them top

Head-to-head separates. Romania are champions.

Pundits' Georgia-lauding rather premature.

Why were Italy admitted in 2000 instead of Romania?

Historically my recollection is that Romania were better. They beat Scotland a few times? France used to play a full team against them in the European Nations Cup every season but only a XV against Italy and the others. Romania had beaten Zimbabwe, Fiji and USA at RWC in 1980s - 1990s; Italy had a similar record in beating Fiji, USA and Argentina. Romania seem to have had slightly the better of it in head-to-heads in the European Nations Cup during 1980s - 1990s. Only notable Heineken Cup results look like a few Italian sides finishing above Scottish regions, but Dinamo Bucharest did very well in the European Challenge Cup.

Was it just that Rome seemed a more pleasurable away trip than Bucharest, and there was presumably more money to be made from tickets and TV?

Edited by HibeeJibee

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Historically my recollection is that Romania were better. They beat Scotland a few times? France used to play a full team against them in the European Nations Cup every season but only a XV against Italy and the others. Romania had beaten Zimbabwe, Fiji and USA at RWC in 1980s - 1990s; Italy had a similar record in beating Fiji, USA and Argentina. Romania seem to have had slightly the better of it in head-to-heads in the European Nations Cup during 1980s - 1990s. Only notable Heineken Cup results look like a few Italian sides finishing above Scottish regions, but Dinamo Bucharest did very well in the Shield.

Was it just that Rome seemed a more pleasurable away trip that Bucharest and there was presumably more money to be made from tickets and TV?

Romanian rugby fell apart not long after the fall of Ceaucescu, with a lack of funding to the army and police teams - they had effectively been professional during the communist era.

Georgia are using the rec to develop young players as they don't need to qualify for the world cup. They are not at full strength as they are trying to build up a bit of good will with the French clubs for when they need the players. The have given debuts to a hole host of players the last few week's

Historically my recollection is that Romania were better. They beat Scotland a few times? France used to play a full team against them in the European Nations Cup every season but only a XV against Italy and the others. Romania had beaten Zimbabwe, Fiji and USA at RWC in 1980s - 1990s; Italy had a similar record in beating Fiji, USA and Argentina. Romania seem to have had slightly the better of it in head-to-heads in the European Nations Cup during 1980s - 1990s. Only notable Heineken Cup results look like a few Italian sides finishing above Scottish regions, but Dinamo Bucharest did very well in the European Challenge Cup.

Was it just that Rome seemed a more pleasurable away trip than Bucharest, and there was presumably more money to be made from tickets and TV?

C

Romania beat us in the early 80's and in 91 or 92 iirc, so when the appetite to add new blood arose sadly they weren't as strong as they previously were in the 80s/early 90s. But as for Italy they pushed on and had a really talented side in the mid to late 90s that were playing beautiful rugby and regularly taking the scalps of bigger nations and that gave them the edge over a more workmanlike Romania at the time.

The Italian side during the final years of the 5 nations was actually really quite good. Diego Dominguez in particular was genuine class.

Before they were admitted they'd won 3 out of their last 4 against Ireland, recently beaten France in Grenoble, beaten Scotland in Treviso and had lost, but lost respectably, to England and Wales

Unfortunately by the time that Italy squad had earned their ticket to the big show they were mostly over the hill and struggled to justify their inclusion

Now that the dust has settled on this year's 6 Nations I think it was a successful one barring Twickers. A wee bit annoying that we finished 4th on points difference when 2nd, 3rd and 4th all finished on 14 points. However, we done our bit with excellent home wins vs Ireland and Wales, a winning BP vs Italy at home and a losing BP vs France away.

We have a lot to thank Cotter for as he's laid excellent foundations that I hope that Toony can build on. He has to take credit too. Cotter shaped them at Scotland but Toony made them at Glasgow.

It'll be interesting to see what squad Gatland picks in April for the Lions tour after a few curveballs throughout the tournament.

Scotland 5th in the rankings so in Pot 2 for the WC draw in May. That means we can't draw SA, Wales or France which is very handy. Though from Pot 1 we could draw NZ, Oz, England or Ireland. In Pot 3 we could draw Argentina, Italy, Georgia or Japan. What are your thoughts on that? Anyone with any idea who we could possibly face from Pots 4 and 5?

Back to the domestic game it's been announced that Pascal Gauzere will ref Sarries v Glasgow. Before then though a tough game at home vs Connacht to think about. We may not make the play-offs but we want to finish as well as poss in the Pro12 to avoid Pot 4 for next season's Euro Champs cup draw. We'd get an awful draw with no chance of an Italian team to boot.

Edited by come on shire

27 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Now that the dust has settled on this year's 6 Nations I think it was a successful one barring Twickers. A wee bit annoying that we finished 4th on points difference when 2nd, 3rd and 4th all finished on 14 points. However, we done our bit with excellent home wins vs Ireland and Wales, a winning BP vs Italy at home and a losing BP vs France away.

We have a lot to thank Cotter for as he's laid excellent foundations that I hope that Toony can build on. He has to take credit too. Cotter shaped them at Scotland but Toony made them at Glasgow.

It'll be interesting to see what squad Gatland picks in April for the Lions tour after a few curveballs throughout the tournament.

Scotland 5th in the rankings so in Pot 2 for the WC draw in May. That means we can't draw SA, Wales or France which is very handy. Though from Pot 1 we could draw NZ, Oz, England or Ireland. In Pot 3 we could draw Argentina, Italy, Georgia or Japan. What are your thoughts on that? Anyone with any idea who we could possibly face from Pots 4 and 5?

I agree with a lot of that. 

Cotter did it at Scotland but Lineen and Townsend drove professionalism on at Glasgow a notch. 

Can't see many Scots in a Lions XV. Hogg maybe, Maitland has a shot as does Johnny Gray, but Gatland will pick others. I think Nel would have gone but for injury. 

As for the pots- not sure but think it would if they qualify would be Pot 4 - Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Romania and Pot 5 - USA, Namibia, Canada,+1 other