Rugby Union

kiwififer

10 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Don't get me wrong, we've had a more than decent tournament and if England and ourselves win tomorrow we'll finish at least 3rd in the table.

I was more meaning in terms of the feeling running up to the final game, as opposed to our overall performance. Maybe it's just too many years watching dreadful games between ourselves and Italy but we now have players who should at least keep it entertaining. 

Fair point. However the team will want to give Cotter a good send off and after great home wins vs Ireland and Wales and a BP in Paris the guys will want to finish well. If we grab a win on Sat (hopefully with BP) it'll have been an excellent 6N barring Twickers.

In other news, World Rugby have announced massive shake-ups post-2019 world cup. Take a look at their website. Basically summer internationals will take place in July to allow Super Rugby to finish. Autumn tests will start a week earlier in Nov. July tests will be limited to 2 games after a world cup season. Tier 2 nations are going to be given 39% more game time vs Tier 1 nations. This will allow emerging European nations to develop besides just Romania and Georgia.

Rumours abound that Jonny Gray could leave early to join Richie at Toulouse to replace Yoann Maestri. I HOPE that's just speculation.

Fair point. However the team will want to give Cotter a good send off and after great home wins vs Ireland and Wales and a BP in Paris the guys will want to finish well. If we grab a win on Sat (hopefully with BP) it'll have been an excellent 6N barring Twickers.
In other news, World Rugby have announced massive shake-ups post-2019 world cup. Take a look at their website. Basically summer internationals will take place in July to allow Super Rugby to finish. Autumn tests will start a week earlier in Nov. July tests will be limited to 2 games after a world cup season. Tier 2 nations are going to be given 39% more game time vs Tier 1 nations. This will allow emerging European nations to develop besides just Romania and Georgia.
Rumours abound that Jonny Gray could leave early to join Richie at Toulouse to replace Yoann Maestri. I HOPE that's just speculation.

Im not unhappy with Scottish players going to france or England (its a good sign if they are in demand) as it generally improves them and opens up places for younger lads with Glasgow n embra. That said im sure hes not long into a new contract so imagine it would have to be a significant transfer fee. Would be a blow to lose him but swinson n Cummings is a pretty decent combo.

At the moment the european season ends the end of May (except France which is later usually) then the players go with their National teams for the June tests, have July off and are back in August for pre-season. Non national team players have June off and are back in July for Pre-season with thier clubs.

However if you give the national team players June off, they are then going on tour in July unfit. It does look like players are only going to get a couple of weeks end of July / start of August off and maybe end of May / start of June depending whether their club sides make the league playoffs or European finals. The leagues are not going to move on their schedules so its the players / fans that are going to suffer, by being burnt out, or even more club matches without the top players being involved.  

Gilchrist apparently starting on sat as gray is injured (is swinson injured surely he's next in line). Gilchrist has looked pretty rusty since coming back for embra. Would have gone with toolis if swinson isn't fit. Poor ritchie Vernon looking at another 9 months out with achilles after just coming back too.

Eta swinson is fit.....bizarre imo. Surely he would start and bring in harley to cover back row / 2nd row.

Yeah Swinson should start. With Gilchrist probably only 10mins until he shatters anyway! (now I've said that Gilchrist will run riot)

Vernon is done. So utterly sad for the guy. Contract up at Glasgow and has not enough pace to play centre any more. Back Row he might have got a new deal but injuries have killed him. Such a shame for a cracking guy. 

I don't understand why Gilchrist at the last min anyway? Swinson has been there all through the tournament and already plays alongside Reid, Fagurson, Gray and Wilson. Surely he'll slot in much easier? 

I don't understand why Gilchrist at the last min anyway? Swinson has been there all through the tournament and already plays alongside Reid, Fagurson, Gray and Wilson. Surely he'll slot in much easier? 

It's very odd. Not the first time cotter has made decisions which are hard to fathom. It's a real slap in the face to swinson who is in great form, perhaps better than ritchie. Even more so when gilchrist has been struggling at embra since coming back. Last game I watched toolis comfortably outplayed him.

Seems bizzare to start with Gilchrist, although its maybe more so that Swinson can cover the back row as well, which I dont think Gilchrist could. Saying that the boy seems to be made of chocolate. Was he not due to be Scotland capt at one point before his run of injuries?

Also the BBC states

" The inclusion of Hogg, Seymour and Wilson remains subject to the Glasgow trio completing the progressive head injury protocol. "

If they dont make it will be interesting to see who is called in.

Seems bizzare to start with Gilchrist, although its maybe more so that Swinson can cover the back row as well, which I dont think Gilchrist could. Saying that the boy seems to be made of chocolate. Was he not due to be Scotland capt at one point before his run of injuries?
Also the BBC states
" The inclusion of Hogg, Seymour and Wilson remains subject to the Glasgow trio completing the progressive head injury protocol. "
If they dont make it will be interesting to see who is called in.

If swinson had started harley could have covered 2nd row n back row. Really defies logic to start gilchrist. It's a shame because prior to the injuries he looked like the next big thing. He's not even starting for embra at moment. In last game when a 2nd row was getting hia an academy back row player was brought on.

Stade Francais and Racing 92 games off this weekend due to Stade players going on an 'open-ended' strike. Just an absolute fucking mess. Stade players understandably concerned about their future - further fuelling speculation that it's a takeover rather than a merger.

I know I said I wanted to cheer Leone on again...but not in this manner!

Once this takeover merger is complete, I hope the first thing they do is punt that insufferable c**t, O'Gara.

Really disappointed for Vernon. So much potential but things have just conspired against him. Thought he was a cracking number 8, not many faster than him in that position at the time if memory serves me correct.

Sure it was his break that got us out of a very deep hole v Romania in rwc 2011. Cracking servant to Scotland n Glasgow who deserved better luck.

Good result for our ladies and Under 20's. 

As for the Swinson-gate scandal, I think we have to look between the lines perhaps. The Gray bros have dominated the 2nd row this campaign but Swinno has been coming in and playing well. However, Cotter obviously feels that Gilchrist deserves his chance after his injury issues. I'd go for Swinno personally but I wish Gilchrist all the best.

Also, maybe Gilchrist has impressed in training.

As for the game I think it's a potential banana skin. Simone Favaro and Michele Campagnaro aren't playing which helps, but Parisse controls that team and Francesco Minto can be handy from the bench.

Were we not 17 0 up at half time? Never saw the match but what scare are you referring to? Genuine question

17-0 at half time, 31-0 after 45, then conceded 17 points in 15 minutes. Had Italy not had two men sent off who knows what might have happened.