Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I guess Reid and Strauss are away to England or France. I guess both need to make their money now, and Glasgow are carrying far to many international players just now. I guess the money will now be used to bolster up the squad with some better imports and possibly project players.

Reid's off to London Irish.

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

Yep. Think we are reaching a point where we have young guys coming through so they need a platform to play. We need cover for 6n n autumn so losing experience is tough because I think some of the young guys are barely able to step up to Pro12 just yet. In past seasons there were guys like niko Leone strauss himself n dth who could nurse young guys through 6n games. It's easier for Welsh n irish because with 4 teams each there's generally less disruption from each team yet we don't yet have enough top players to fill a 3rd pro team. Equally we don't wanna recruit too many mercenaries as that held embra back for a few seasons. Eta might be good to have a few of our top guys in England n France for experience and also it might see slightly less strain on the Pro12 squads.

Yeah, as good as it is for the national team, it's not actually good for Glasgow as a club for all their key players to be Scottish (or Italian!) internationals. The gap in quality this season between the A team and the second string has been far too big, and will probably cost us a playoff place.

Yeah, as good as it is for the national team, it's not actually good for Glasgow as a club for all their key players to be Scottish (or Italian!) internationals. The gap in quality this season between the A team and the second string has been far too big, and will probably cost us a playoff place.

Agreed....doesn't need to be a huge number of foreign players but certainly need to be sort of experienced leaders that can drag the young team forward. Think they will just miss out on a play off place sadly. Makes sarries game a real biggie.

Laidlaw out for the rest of the six nations.

Not good. At times in the past he could be a bit slow getting the ball away but has improved over the years, will be a big loss to Scotland. Price has been in good form for Glasgow, time for him to step up and prove himself on a bigger stage.

Not good. At times in the past he could be a bit slow getting the ball away but has improved over the years, will be a big loss to Scotland. Price has been in good form for Glasgow, time for him to step up and prove himself on a bigger stage.

If anything price is probably a better scrum half. We need finn to be consistent with kicks n would much rather johnny takes captaincy than barclay. Think he would be more proactive with refs. Wouldn't wish injury on laidlaw because hes been a great stalwart but its time for price n Horne (george) to be developed with rwc 19 in mind. Feel like shc n henry have stalled a bit. In other news Glasgow have signed a loose head from stormers.

On 11/02/2017 at 16:30, Allan Jacobsen said:

I don't think that Italy are a bad team. I just don't think that the FIR particularly give a shit. Compare them to the SRU who invest a lot of time into improving our national game - I mean, who last year had heard of Huw Jones for example? Yes, on the other hand we're bringing in players like Strauss, Nel, Dell and apparently Kebble's being brought in with the intention of naturalising him too. They are/were all established quality players in their native country. It may not be ideal but it's arguably improved us tenfold. FIR really needs to be doing the same if they want to progress - even if it is effectively developing a bunch of mercenaries.

However, it'd be interesting to see how the likes of Georgia or Romania would fare in the Six/Seven/Eight Nations.

On 07/02/2017 at 11:53, flyingscot said:

Yep, Bennett and Vernon will be leaving. Hope Vernon can get some rugby somewhere to restart his career after injuries. 

Also gone surprisingly is Favaro, who is a fans favourite- but it seems Dave Rennie is bringing in Callum Gibbins from the Hurricanes instead. 

Glasgow apparently interested in SA prop Oli Kebble too. 

Oil Kebble has been confirmed as joining Glasgow in a two year deal 

SANZAAR have new disciplinary rules for the new Super Rugby season the main two are.
1. Players can still be cited after the normal window if new evidence comes to light
2. Regular season bye rounds included in any bans (as I understand it if you get a 3 week ban and your team is not due to play in one or more of them it gets added to the ban)

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Was just having a look at Gavin Hastings stats. He really was a choker

Oh behave.  Any Scottish rugby fan worth his salt can do a Big Gav "There's no doubt about it, he's a big b*****d" drone or a Bill McLaren "He can smell a try like a forest animal” voice.  Two of our icons.

Was just having a look at Gavin Hastings stats. He really was a choker

The 1991 rwc semi final was an horrendous miss but he was superb as a fullback for us throughout his career. Always felt sorry for Peter dods who was back up to andy Irvine then when he retired and it looked like dods would take the 15 shirt suddenly hastings appeared. Dods must be one of the few scots ever to be picked for a lions tour despite not being a first pick for Scotland (not counting tom smith because he was immediately a 1st pick after lions ). As an aside gavs kid Adam hastings looks a proper prospect at 10.

The 1991 rwc semi final was an horrendous miss but he was superb as a fullback for us throughout his career. Always felt sorry for Peter dods who was back up to andy Irvine then when he retired and it looked like dods would take the 15 shirt suddenly hastings appeared. Dods must be one of the few scots ever to be picked for a lions tour despite not being a first pick for Scotland (not counting tom smith because he was immediately a 1st pick after lions ). As an aside gavs kid Adam hastings looks a proper prospect at 10.

Missed the kick in 1987 draw with France in rwc. Last kick, we would have avoided NZ.
He also missed 2 fairly easy kicks against France 1995 rwc. France won game in injury time. We got NZ. Not just 91 wc. Choked at highest level

Tbf those are all issues about goalkicking rather than his general play as a 15. In 87 Rutherford was our 1st choice kicker and was injured in the game. Throughout his Scotland career there was debate about whether hastings should be the go to kicker or used for long shots like Stuart hogg. There was never unanimous consensus that he should be solely responsible for kicks and for a while Craig chalmers was the kicker til he had a horrid run of form with the boot. His kicks did though secure a lions series win in 89 v Australia. Overall hastings was a superb 15. Judging him on 3 or 4 kicks is imo harsh especially in the days of old heavy leather balls and no tees. None of the kickers then can match stats of the current crop. I can testify that back in the day it was no easy feat kicking accurately from the ground with a soaked leather ball and I never had 80000 people watching me. Eta in 1991 semi I was doing all manner of swearing at him mind you. If you wanna talk about choking the rl guy Don fox I think it was for Wakefield missed a sitter at Wembley that cost them the challenge cup. Apparently it haunted him the rest of his life.

Tbf those are all issues about goalkicking rather than his general play as a 15. In 87 Rutherford was our 1st choice kicker and was injured in the game. Throughout his Scotland career there was debate about whether hastings should be the go to kicker or used for long shots like Stuart hogg. There was never unanimous consensus that he should be solely responsible for kicks and for a while Craig chalmers was the kicker til he had a horrid run of form with the boot. His kicks did though secure a lions series win in 89 v Australia. Overall hastings was a superb 15. Judging him on 3 or 4 kicks is imo harsh especially in the days of old heavy leather balls and no tees. None of the kickers then can match stats of the current crop. I can testify that back in the day it was no easy feat kicking accurately from the ground with a soaked leather ball and I never had 80000 people watching me. Eta in 1991 semi I was doing all manner of swearing at him mind you. If you wanna talk about choking the rl guy Don fox I think it was for Wakefield missed a sitter at Wembley that cost them the challenge cup. Apparently it haunted him the rest of his life.

Fair enough. I'm probably swayed because he's a servile unionist tory c**t.