Rugby Union

kiwififer

Some of the whinging on here is way over the top. We weren't that bad. We got three bad injuries that meant we were going to struggle in the back row during the game and we lost our captain and vice captain. We were missing our first choice props, and we were given an absolute kicking. The ref didn't do us many favours either. 

We made some mistakes, but we were always in it and always looked like we could score. It's not like we've been beaten by Italy here, we've lost narrowly to France in Paris. These players are getting better and I fancy us to beat Wales and Italy and finish third, which would be an excellent result in this 6n.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

Some of the whinging on here is way over the top. We weren't that bad. We got three bad injuries that meant we were going to struggle in the back row during the game and we lost our captain and vice captain. We were missing our first choice props, and we were given an absolute kicking. The ref didn't do us many favours either. 

We made some mistakes, but we were always in it and always looked like we could score. It's not like we've been beaten by Italy here, we've lost narrowly to France in Paris. These players are getting better and I fancy us to beat Wales and Italy and finish third, which would be an excellent result in this 6n.

Exactly. No need to over react. Despite the scrum issues we still competed well and our defence was impressive again.

it was a tight game for most of it and I think most complaints are from frustration that we could have edged the game if a few things went differently. Tough to deal with all the injuries as well.

But we were the inferior rugby side and a few of the breaks we did get stopped the French running over us. The missed penalty from the Price push, the disallowed try, potential yellow for Russell taking the Frenchy out in the air. But then on the other hand if we make the 3 missed kicks...

The missed penalty after the Price push actually worked to France's advantage. Instead of Scotland kicking to touch from the penalty and having the throw, Russell cleared the rebound to touch and from that lineout France built pressure and eventually got their try.

Very sore one to lose, missed Laidlaw badly, and Russell had some poor errors.

Just now, peasy23 said:

The missed penalty after the Price push actually worked to France's advantage.

I think Price's idiocy was critical. It was only 20-25 mins into the game and, even though he'd been on the pitch for 2 minutes if that, it showed that the French were getting under our skins. Laidlaw's a gobby wee nyaff at the best of times but one thing he certainly isn't is a thicko.

Is Barclay the vice-captain? Thought someone like Jonny Gray would be a more natural choice.

We've been crying out for a player like Russell for years. He'll create more than he ever will damage us with errors.

The scrum was embarrassing today and didn't give our supremely talented backs anything to work with.

He damages us a hell of a lot with errors.

I just don't understand why he can't use even half his brain.

Exactly. No need to over react. Despite the scrum issues we still competed well and our defence was impressive again.
it was a tight game for most of it and I think most complaints are from frustration that we could have edged the game if a few things went differently. Tough to deal with all the injuries as well.
But we were the inferior rugby side and a few of the breaks we did get stopped the French running over us. The missed penalty from the Price push, the disallowed try, potential yellow for Russell taking the Frenchy out in the air. But then on the other hand if we make the 3 missed kicks...

Last week we were about as good as Ireland, this week we were about as good as France. Fortune smiled on us last time and turned it's back on us today.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Last week we were about as good as Ireland, this week we were about as good as France. Fortune smiled on us last time and turned it's back on us today.

Yeah. The 6 nations is tighter than its been in a while. With us improving, France getting their act together, and Wales, England and Ireland all having strong squads it will be tight. I thought England would win the GS, but I'm not so sure now.

One thing I will say is that squad depth is what might make the difference. Our front row just wasn't strong enough today. I also think there is a good chance Barclay, Dunbar, Hardie, Brown and maybe one or two others will be struggling for the next game. Luckily it's a two week layoff.

I disagree, I don't think we were miles off the pace or anything but France were the better side today and deserved their win, albeit I thought we were below par and France were better than I thought they were against England.

Just read through the last few pages and some of the overreaction in here is ridiculous. Pleased to see a few more sensible posts since the game. We were fairly poor and yet were beaten by less than 7 points, away to an improving and powerful French side.

We also picked up so many injuries during the game the bench was practically empty before the 60th minute.

As for people moaning about the referee, with France’s scrum so dominant we were lucky not to get two, let alone one, yellow card for repeatedly collapsing scrums (regardless of squint put ins or driving at angles). We need to find a better way to cope at scrums when Nel isn’t available.

Finn Russell is still fairly inexperienced at international level. In the Pro 12 he can get away with a few errors per game so he needs more time to learn when to play it safe and when to take risks for Scotland. Though he’ll never completely eradicate errors from his game as he wouldn’t create half the chances he does that way.

That being said we were far too slow to bring on Weir – I thought the same last week against Ireland. Weir & Price could be a much better balance, similar to Laidlaw/Finn, with Weir being the safer pair of hands to Price who likes to take chances.

For those worrying about the England game, they have been poor so far but just found a way to win. If they don’t improve to the level they should be at, we sort out our scrum and take our chances there’s no reason we can’t beat them. I’m more worried by who will be fit for the Wales match now...

There's no doubt we have a much improved Scotland team from the not too distant past. France are better than us, but the margin is relatively small.

I think the Wales game will define our Six Nations Win that and (assuming we beat Italy - not a given) and it will have been a success.

Laidlaw going off was a huge loss and we need him back asap.

There's no doubt we have a much improved Scotland team from the not too distant past. France are better than us, but the margin is relatively small.

I think the Wales game will define our Six Nations Win that and (assuming we beat Italy - not a given) and it will have been a success.

Laidlaw going off was a huge loss and we need him back asap.

This. If we don't beat Wales at home and only finish with 2 win.. it's pointless. I'd suggest we also want to finish top3. We should do that with 3 wins and a least 2 more bonus points. 5 against Italy and either 5 against Wales or losing BP at Twickenham
Would also be nice to go to Twickenham chasing a triple crown