Darts...

Sideshow

Might as well use this thread for general chatter on the sport. Seeing as Barney and Taylor looked world class tonight. Barney has been off form for a while now, but he has turned it up a notch this week. I don't reckon he can cope with the schedule that the PDC demands, but he's still a class act.

Might as well use this thread for general chatter on the sport. Seeing as Barney and Taylor looked world class tonight. Barney has been off form for a while now, but he has turned it up a notch this week. I don't reckon he can cope with the schedule that the PDC demands, but he's still a class act.

He's shown that in his Premier League stints. Quite similar to John Part, and that has to be down to their travel schedules during those particular campaigns. Both travelled over the night before the game, then travelled back the morning after (albeit with Part having a much longer journey to cope with).

The two month break has done Barney the world of good and has looked fantastic this week. Taylor, though, has just been one notch better. He's been on a 9-darter at least 4/5 times during the week which, on this format, is not a bad feat in itself.

Really looking forward to the final tomorrow, and reckon Taylor will take it 6-4 (as per Rod and Sid's predictions post-match tonight).

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watching the European Championships on ITV4?

Adrian Lewis just put in the performance of his career, demolishing Barney 9-2 with a 108.6 average and smashing in 6 180's. Most complete performance of this, and any, tournament this year.

Edited for, erm, spelling.... :whistle

Edited by The Naitch

Phil Taylor is in a right match against the Scottish Robert Thornton. It's 5-5 at the half way point and Thorton was down 4-1 at one point, but he has more fight than any of Taylor's opponents to this point.

EDIT : Loved Peter Manley's arrogance about Lewis in his pre-match interview. "I've beaten him so many times it's like watching paint dry.".

Edited by DomDom

Phil Taylor is in a right match against the Scottish Robert Thornton. It's 5-5 at the half way point and Thorton was down 4-1 at one point, but he has more fight than any of Taylor's opponents to this point.

EDIT : Loved Peter Manley's arrogance about Lewis in his pre-match interview. "I've beaten him so many times it's like watching paint dry.".

Manley is fantastic for things like that. He'll do anything to put his opponents off though I do think that Lewis has matured enough to handle Manley's gamesmanship (unlike their World Championship clash when Aidy walked off).

Robert on the whole done well and gave Phil his toughest match. His doubles were awful at times though. Hes beaten some well establish players on circuit now on Live Tv which is good to see (Part, Manley, Baxter)

Can't wait for the GSoD Lewis and Tabern are very good late additions to the pool. Only problem I have with the tournament is giving a women an invite. Hope she gets pasted so they don't invite any more women before they can prove themselves at qualifiers. Manley, Klaasen, Walsh to name but a few would hammer her, not going to bother attempting to spell her name its too much of a mouthful. I also wonder why Martin Adams continually rejects his invitation to the tournament. I know hes really pro BDO/anti PDC, but surely hes not dumb enough to turn down the 4 grand or whatever just for turning up. Then again he would get shown up by some even average PDC players.

Can't wait for the GSoD Lewis and Tabern are very good late additions to the pool. Only problem I have with the tournament is giving a women an invite. Hope she gets pasted so they don't invite any more women before they can prove themselves at qualifiers. Manley, Klaasen, Walsh to name but a few would hammer her, not going to bother attempting to spell her name its too much of a mouthful.

The GSoD claims to feature all the champions from the last 12/24 months so wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't invite the Women's World Champion and Dobromoslova would be silly to turn it down, especially after her decent showing in the UK Open (?) against Robert Thornton.

I also wonder why Martin Adams continually rejects his invitation to the tournament. I know hes really pro BDO/anti PDC, but surely hes not dumb enough to turn down the 4 grand or whatever just for turning up. Then again he would get shown up by some even average PDC players.

You've hit the nail on the head. It really beggars belief that he would turn it down. The BDO can't be happy either as he's their recognised World Champion and won't be appearing at the biggest event of the year involving both organisations.

The GSoD claims to feature all the champions from the last 12/24 months so wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't invite the Women's World Champion and Dobromoslova would be silly to turn it down, especially after her decent showing in the UK Open (?) against Robert Thornton.

You've hit the nail on the head. It really beggars belief that he would turn it down. The BDO can't be happy either as he's their recognised World Champion and won't be appearing at the biggest event of the year involving both organisations.

Womens darts to me is totally different from men IMO. She also lost to Robert Thornton and its a lot different doing the business on the floor compared to on the stage.

Adams is being groomed by the blazers to replace Olly Croft when he pops his clogs, so he wants to appease the hierarchy by turning down the chance to play at a PDC run event.

At this rate anyway when the BBC TV deal is up in 2010 or whatever and with several more defections coming up the BDO is done. Theres big rumours going round that Darryl Fitton is a certainty to switch after the Lakeside and more to follow, surely its time for Gary Anderson to move as well.

Once all the decent players are gone there will be nothing left of the BDO bar Adams and Hankey who will probably retire in the next few years anyway. I also don't buy into the BDO produces players argument. Talent does. The BDO aren't hiring any coaches to bring on players, its all down to the player.

Womens darts to me is totally different from men IMO. She also lost to Robert Thornton and its a lot different doing the business on the floor compared to on the stage.

Losing to Thornton is hardly a damning thing. You only have to see Thornton's run in this tourney alone to see that. He was the only one who gave Taylor anything close to a decent match.

At this rate anyway when the BBC TV deal is up in 2010 or whatever and with several more defections coming up the BDO is done. Theres big rumours going round that Darryl Fitton is a certainty to switch after the Lakeside and more to follow, surely its time for Gary Anderson to move as well.

I really hope Anderson moves. If there's one guy that would be found out on a massive scale it's this guy. He's the ultimate bottle merchant, which would be terrible for him as there's a boatload of big tournaments, plus the PL. Fitton is someone who could be solid at least.

On the topic of playing the game again I've developed a new throwing style which I have been playing lights out with the last week, and my consistency level has went way up, and I've hit 4 180's since last Thursday. I've also decided to enter the Scottish Youth Masters in Bannockburn a week on Saturday, a wee bit nervous about possibly looking really out of my depth or getting embarrassed but looking forward to it to playing competitively.

Here's the pools for the Grand Slam of Darts. The top pool is in order of seeds from first to eigth.

Pool One : Phil Taylor, Raymond Van Barneveld, James Wade, Mark Webster, John Part, Gary Anderson, Terry Jenkins, Andy Hamilton

Pool Two : Mervyn King, Adrian Lewis, Colin Lloyd, Wayne Mardle, Kevin Painter, Alan Tabern, Robert Thornton, Vincent Van Der Voort

Pool Three : Daryl Fitton, Andy Jenkins, Gary Mawson, Kevin McDine, Wes Newton, Denis Ovens, Michael Van Gerwen, Simon Whitlock

Pool Four : Niels de Ruiter, Anastasia Dombrotyslova, Colin McGarry, Phil Nicholson, Phil Nixon, Kirk Shepherd, Brian Woods, Darin Young

Draw gets made tomorrow. I'd love to see Fitton, Anderson, Thornton, Nixon in a sort of BDO style group.

The groups.

Group A : Phil Taylor, Vincent Van Der Voort, Andy Jenkins, Phil Nixon

Group B : Andy Hamilton, Alan Tabern, Simon Whitlock, Brian Woods

Group C : Mark Webster, Mervyn King, Michael Van Gerwen, Colin McGarry

Group D : John Part, Wayne Mardle, Kevin McDine, Anastacia Dobromyslova

Group E : Raymond Van Barneveld, Robert Thornton, Gary Mawson, Kirk Shepherd

Group F : Terry Jenkins, Colin Lloyd, Wes Newton, Darin Young

Group G : James Wade, Adrian Lewis, Denis Ovens, Niels de Ruiter

Group H : Gary Anderson, Kevin Painter, Daryl Fitton, Paul Nicholson

Groups C and H interest me greatly.

The groups.

Group A : Phil Taylor, Vincent Van Der Voort, Andy Jenkins, Phil Nixon

Group B : Andy Hamilton, Alan Tabern, Simon Whitlock, Brian Woods

Group C : Mark Webster, Mervyn King, Michael Van Gerwen, Colin McGarry

Group D : John Part, Wayne Mardle, Kevin McDine, Anastacia Dobromyslova

Group E : Raymond Van Barneveld, Robert Thornton, Gary Mawson, Kirk Shepherd

Group F : Terry Jenkins, Colin Lloyd, Wes Newton, Darin Young

Group G : James Wade, Adrian Lewis, Denis Ovens, Niels de Ruiter

Group H : Gary Anderson, Kevin Painter, Daryl Fitton, Paul Nicholson

Those are the two groups that grab my attention though Group D, I suppose, could be defined as the Group of Death.

Edited by The Naitch

Group B looks good too. Simon Whitlock is a top class player and Brian Woods played pretty well at the Lakeside in January. Group D looks good except the fact theres a woman in it. I'll happily take that back though if she performs well.

The first set of matches have been confirmed for next Saturday.

Afternoon Session ( 12pm - 5pm )

Adrian Lewis vs. Denis Ovens*

Andy Hamilton vs. Brian Woods

Robert Thornton vs. Gary Mawson*

John Part vs. Anastacia Dobromyslova*

Phil Taylor vs. Phil Nixon*

Mark Webster vs. Colin McGarry

Kevin Painter vs. Daryl Fitton*

Terry Jenkins vs. Darin Young

Evening Session ( 6pm - 11pm )

Vincent Van Der Voort vs. Andy Jenkins*

Wayne Mardle vs. Kevin McDine*

James Wade vs. Niels de Ruiter

Gary Anderson vs. Phil Nicholson

Raymond Van Barneveld vs. Kirk Shepherd*

Alan Tabern vs. Simon Whitlock*

Mervyn King vs. Michael Van Gerwen*

Colin Lloyd vs. Wes Newton

The ones with a * are the ones that I'm looking forward to the most. The battle of the women's and the PDC world titles is definately the one that intrigues me the most. I reckon Thornton is a better player than Part this season and Anastacia gave him a good run so I don't see why she can't get a win over the current PDC World Champ.