Darts...

Sideshow

As the title says, does anybody play darts either for fun or in a league?

I play for The Cellar Bar in Paisley in the Paisley & Glasgow Mixed Darts League which started last night and we started with a 7-5 win.

Missus is out at the moment playing in the Glasgow Ladies League. She has also represented Renfrewshire Women in the 'B' team.

How good do you actually have to be to play darts at pub level? What would your average be compared to a pro?

I'm normally OK when I'm aiming for the treble 20 and can throw it straight, would back myeslf to get 3 single 20's if I went for them, but see trying to hit the fecking doubles...

How good do you actually have to be to play darts at pub level? What would your average be compared to a pro?

I'm normally OK when I'm aiming for the treble 20 and can throw it straight, would back myeslf to get 3 single 20's if I went for them, but see trying to hit the fecking doubles...

At pub level, it's as long as you can hit decent scores, if you can hit a score of sixty on a regular basis then you have a chance but like you say, your finishing leaves a lot to be desired, try practising finishing a score of 11 then increasing it 22, 33, 44 and so on, if you can do it in three darts after a while then you will probably have it cracked or playing against somebody who does play darts and you will only improve in all aspects of the game.

I had a board when I lived with the folks and used to enjoy the odd game with my auld man. He's a darts league veteran though so he would hammer me every time. Still have the odd game in the local boozer although it usually a game of Killer or Round The Clock rather than your standard leg of darts.

Oh, and i'm pish. Give me 3 darts to hit the treble twenty and i'd no doubt hit single 20, 5 and 1. I'm a bit erratic to say the least.

Im utterly gash. One of my mates plays at a very decent level and makes a few quid here and there. he beat the English captain a couple of years back ( some hairy guy called Adam ?? ) and said he was a complete chunt to him after it. We applied to go on the new Bullseye on Challenge but never made it :angry:

My uncle has been playing darts for about 30 years and he won the Glasgow singles a few years ago and shortly after he won he played Eric Bristow at an exhibition who at the time was well past it and he got whipped.

I play everyday, I've even bought one of those portable darts stands so I can play from the exact distance back from the board, instead of nailing the board to the wall and playing from about 5 feet.

Ability wise I'm very erratic, I'll hit 140 one minute then 3 or 7 or something like that the next. Going to try and join a pub team soon. I always bottle it when I've got two treble twenties with my first two darts and end up hitting an awful dart with my third. :lol:

Im utterly gash. One of my mates plays at a very decent level and makes a few quid here and there. he beat the English captain a couple of years back ( some hairy guy called Adam ?? ) and said he was a complete chunt to him after it. We applied to go on the new Bullseye on Challenge but never made it :angry:

Could be Martin 'England Captain' Adams you're talking about.

I've played in the Dumfries Winter and Summer Leagues for nearly 20 years though I 'retired' last week for the time being (team has folded as we didn't have enough players for next season and for a couple of reasons I'm not looking for a new team).

I play to an ok standard. Not outstanding by any means. Good enough to hold down a place in a mid table top division team in Dumfries comfortably enough but nothing special. I have a runners up trophy from almost anything you care to name team wise (Winter League C Division, B Division and A Division and Summer League) and a finalists trophy at some point or another from Singles, Pairs, Triples and Fours over that period but I've WON nowt! <_< I've had over a hundred 180 scores over the years though probably only a dozen or so in actual competition rather than practice.

Been playing pretty well latterly, lost only one singles match in the whole of the summer league.

Relative standards are probably dependent on geography to an extent though. I'd imagine you probably need to be better to play pub league in Glasgow than you do in Dumfries. There are some right dreadful players playing every week in Dumfries but so what? As long as they enjoy it.

Forgot to update from Monday.

As there is only nine teams in the league we had a free week, so we had a tourney amongst ourselves in which I made the semi-finals only to be beaten by my father who went on to win it.

I've got a dart board in my room - shite a darts though. :unsure:

How do you know unless you have played somebody that knows how to play.

There is a good league down your way and plenty of decent players, if your interested try going to the Norseman because I believe the Grovener dont have a team anymore.

How do you know unless you have played somebody that knows how to play.

There is a good league down your way and plenty of decent players, if your interested try going to the Norseman because I believe the Grovener dont have a team anymore.

I've always said i'll find the time and spend an hour or so a day practicing, and slowly building up - it gets so tedious though and after a while I give in and forget about it.

I play for fun a lot, though haven't had the chance to join a league due to work etc.

Going to the Premier League in April, so I'm sure I'll pick up some tips :P:lol:

Inverclyde league plays a tuesday nite with teams all over the place, u should give it a try, its usually a good laugh, unless ur playing at the hitler-esque dockers club!! :P