Golfers Thread

Gaz

When I started playing golf, I found it far easier to hit a decent tee-shot with the 3-wood (or 5) as opposed to the driver. The driver is the most powerful club but it's unwieldy and difficult to get a clean strike with. I think it's best to gain confidence driving with the lower woods.

Oh no, I'm totally the opposite. I love my driver but I'm terrible with my 3 and 5 woods. My favourite club is my 5 iron. I'm sure it's all in my head, but I'm almost always accurate with it.

I shot 102 playing with my driver the next week I left my driver by accident and played off the tee with my five wood and shot a 90 :huh:

Im playing tomorrow in the medal and you know that I wil be teeing off with my Driver cos I am a stubborn idiot.I will not shoot 90 either.

I had a massive slice on my drives with my ERC, which was strange given that I hit my irons and woods with a touch of draw if anything.

Without consulting anyone's advice, I got a stiff shaft put on it as it felt like a fly fishing rod with a regular shaft and after that I could do no wrong with it. Sadly I gave up golf soon after this, although I quite fancy going down the driving range again soon to see what damage i can do with it.

Guest The Phoenix
If you go to the pro to early though you will basically be shelling out £20 to miss or top the ball while the pro laughs at you and collects your money.

Totally agree.

I've played golf for over 40 years and never spent a penny on lessons.

Got down to five at my best but old age has seen this creep up to ten.

Start getting your head full of technical nonsense when you are just starting and I reckon you are more likely to end up hating the game.

Edited by The Phoenix

Totally agree.

I've played golf for over 40 years and never spent a penny on lessons.

Got down to five at my best but old age has seen this creep up to ten.

Start getting your head full of technical nonsense when you are just starting and I reckon you are more likely to end up hating the game.

My grandpa was a very good player. He played off +3 at one point and was a scratch golfer for thirty odd years. His swing was absolutely horrible though. But he had taught himself to play the game and never had a lesson in his life. I have seen film of him playing before and it just looks weird to see something so unorthodox being so obviously good.

As long as you have good timing and get your weight moving through in the right way then I dont really think you need much coaching. I played off a handicap of five when I played but never had a lesson in my life either.

The best thing I found was when I went to watcha tournament and I spent hours watching the pros on the practice ground. Watching them swing is more useful than having someone try and explain it to you.

Wheres that? Have you a handicap?

It's in Banff - Link - it's a beautiful course, but I've never played it. I don't have a handicap, only started playing really this year. Going to hopefully join here next season and start looking into getting a handicap sorted out. :)

It's in Banff - Link - it's a beautiful course, but I've never played it. I don't have a handicap, only started playing really this year. Going to hopefully join here next season and start looking into getting a handicap sorted out. :)

Our club has a lady captain for the first year this year and she has done a good job in fact she has been doing it for two years now.Due to this the ladies section are well vocal and rightly so when you see some of the old male codgers who are as slow as a week in the jail.

I reckon Golf is becoming trendy with the wimen.

Guest The Phoenix
Our club has a lady captain for the first year this year and she has done a good job in fact she has been doing it for two years now.Due to this the ladies section are well vocal and rightly so when you see some of the old male codgers who are as slow as a week in the jail.

I reckon Golf is becoming trendy with the wimen.

I find a lot of the male prima donnas at our club a far bigger pain in the arse on the course than any of our lady members who invariably play at a decent pace and respect other players on the course.

I find a lot of the male prima donnas at our club a far bigger pain in the arse on the course than any of our lady members who invariably play at a decent pace and respect other players on the course.

I totally agree I was playing behind this chunt who had his ball halfed by a penline and he would then put this line on the tee so it was facing vertical at a par three .I was waiting behind him watching this pish he also had two gloves on.He never even made the green after all that.

Me being a nosey chunt found out his handicap was 24.

In general, the standard of play from the women at my old club was nothing short of abysmal. Don't get me wrong, there were also hundreds of doddery old men as well, but a very large percentage of the women were laughably bad.

Most men golfers who aren't very good can often make something resembling a decent swing and can connect with the ball getting it into the air, with hooking/slicing/pulling/pushing of the ball being their main problem.

However, all bad women seem to have the same problem. None of them seemed able to lift a club round to the correct position on the backswing and instead took short, sharp stabs at the ball making it trundle 70 or 80 yards down the fairway - and this was considered a decent shot!

They were always very good at letting you play through but I always wondered how they could actually enjoy it?

Guest The Phoenix
I totally agree I was playing behind this chunt who had his ball halfed by a penline and he would then put this line on the tee so it was facing vertical at a par three .I was waiting behind him watching this pish he also had two gloves on.He never even made the green after all that.

Me being a nosey chunt found out his handicap was 24.

:lol:

When we first moved into our house, my next door neighbour saw me putting my clubs into the car boot and proceeded to engage me in a golfing conversation.

I'll never forget him spouting forth about how he could control a four iron - moving it left to right / right to left at will.

Assuming he was a golfing god, I asked him what his handicap was.

I nearly pished myself when he told me 28. :lol:

In his defence, he's pretty much proved to be a complete tit in all facets of life, over the 20 years we have lived next door.

Edited by The Phoenix

I remember playing at Monifieth in the junior 4 man team and topping my tee shot on the first into the bushes just off the tee. Muchos embarassing :ph34r:
Same shit, different year then.

Defo joining Monifieth if i can be arsed with golf next year.

My worst Monifieth moment was shan*ing a 3 iron off the first across the railway in the County Youths Championships many moons ago.

I wonder if I know either of you two guys?

I played at Monifieth for years and years, out of the Broughty club, I actually came back up and played in the 18 hole open last month.

Played in a few Junior County things as well.

Currently offf 4.7, should have got down to 3.something this season but the football started and I stopped playing nearly so much.

As for advice for the original poster, I agree with whoever said practice your short game. Driving and irons are more fun, but you take a disproportionate number of shots from within 20 yards of the hole, if you can 2 putt every hole then that sets you up very well, I regularly play with guys who take 42ish putts, if they could 2 putt every hole then they could instantly take 6 off of their handicap.

Mine was 103 at Falkirk Tryst aged 9.

I always remember that it was the day of the '97 General Election because we got the day off school as the school builing was being used as a polling station.

I played with cut down wooden shafted clubs that used to belong to my Granda.