Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played last week with a distant relative who’s on a golf scholarship at college.Needless to say I was totally embarrassed but chatting to him he’s effectively a professional in all but being able to take prize money, but all his fees, expenses at college are paid.

My question, can he really be called an amateur?

BTW he carded a 65 I carded a “generous” 103

It's why the Walker Cup is now an absolute farce, they have a team full of guys who as you say are effectively pros. All their expenses are covered by whatever college they represent and they have plenty of time to practice and play. The sums involved in college sporting programmes are mind boggling. 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

On June 5, 2018 at 04:11, Central Belt Caley said:

Club champs qualifiers at the weekend, Nett 69+72 got me into the handicap knockouts

Giving away 8 shots in the first round, looking forward to it!

We'll done, and good luck in the next round. 

I qualified in ours too, but we play "off-the-stick" in the later knockout stages. 

Disaster - my 3 wood shaft somehow broke in my backswing last night. Strangely it’s under the grip about 4 in he’s from the end of the club.
It’s not a new club but I hit it well. Someone mentioned that American Golf or the likes can fix this by putting an extension on it, no idea if this is correct. Any idea if this can be done and, if so, the likely cost?
No sure were you live here in Glasgow I use affordable golf for all my needs they do good work, I'd phone them see if you can match the shaft or buy off eBay and fit it yourself I wouldn't bother trying to fix it easier to get a replacement

• 2 weeks later...

Great gesture by the R&A for Peter Thomson`s funeral.

Pleased to see that Scotland`s Russell Knox qualified for this year`s Open at Carnoustie by way of a fine 2nd place in the French Open yesterday. He comes across as a good guy and one of the pros who seems to realise what a great job he has!

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Great gesture by the R&A for Peter Thomson`s funeral.

Pleased to see that Scotland`s Russell Knox qualified for this year`s Open at Carnoustie by way of a fine 2nd place in the French Open yesterday. He comes across as a good guy and one of the pros who seems to realise what a great job he has!

Noticed he had qualified. He seems to be coming back into form a bit after a poor year in 2017 and has now gotten back into the top 100 in the rankings.

Hopefully he can kick on and get back into that top 50.

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Noticed he had qualified. He seems to be coming back into form a bit after a poor year in 2017 and has now gotten back into the top 100 in the rankings.

Hopefully he can kick on and get back into that top 50.

Yep. He also came through final qualifying for the US Open where he birdied 4 of the last 5 holes to get his spot and and then came tied 12th in the main event. Good effort. As you say hopefully he can kick on and get back to top 50. He got as high as 18th in the rankings in 2016 so he clearly has the ability.

I'm flabbergasted! 
I won the best Nett Medal competition  in the "Masters" section of the The Bream Bay  Classic at Waipu Golf Club, with rounds of 86, 83 and 81 (less my 10 handicap).  
We played 27 holes on both Saturday and Sunday, I'm knackered now. 
I lost two balls in the first round, but was really pleased with the rest, as the greens had been rolled and cut and were lightning fast, with horrible pin positions.
My winnings were $100 and the biggest smile on my face! :)
I came 10th in the best Gross.  
image.thumb.png.536719422f8e160205d2a5e83fae1aa0.png

Edited by expatowner

I'm flabbergasted! 
I won the best Nett Medal competition  in the "Masters" section of the The Bream Bay  Classic at Waipu Golf Club, with rounds of 86, 83 and 81 (less my 10 handicap).  
We played 27 holes on both Saturday and Sunday, I'm knackered now. 
I lost two balls in the first round, but was really pleased with the rest, as the greens had been rolled and cut and were lightning fast, with horrible pin positions.
My winnings were $100 and the biggest smile on my face! [emoji4]
I came 10th in the best Gross.  
image.thumb.png.536719422f8e160205d2a5e83fae1aa0.png
Well done mate

On 02/07/2018 at 14:10, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yep. He also came through final qualifying for the US Open where he birdied 4 of the last 5 holes to get his spot and and then came tied 12th in the main event. Good effort. As you say hopefully he can kick on and get back to top 50. He got as high as 18th in the rankings in 2016 so he clearly has the ability.

Knox has just won the Irish Open. If you didn't see it, the two birdie putts he holed on the 18th in regulation and then the play off were outstanding.

Congrats Russell Knox, what a pair of putts to win the Irish Open! Bravo

Knox has just won the Irish Open. If you didn't see it, the two birdie putts he holed on the 18th in regulation and then the play off were outstanding.

Two absolute monsters, must have been 40 foot or so. Ryan Fox on the other hand saw a 10 footer just miss on the 72nd that would have won him it, then lipped a similar length putt on the playoff hole to keep it going.

ETA: one of the guys at Bishopbriggs was saying yesterday that he played Ballyliffin a few months back. He's astonished that they played a tour event there as it's at the end of a single track road, and there is very little in the way of hotels or other accommodation nearby.

ETA: one of the guys at Bishopbriggs was saying yesterday that he played Ballyliffin a few months back. He's astonished that they played a tour event there as it's at the end of a single track road, and there is very little in the way of hotels or other accommodation nearby.

Although it was a strong field by European Tour standards it was weaker than for previous Irish opens and this is probably the reason why.

Although it was a strong field by European Tour standards it was weaker than for previous Irish opens and this is probably the reason why.
Yep, quite possibly. Nearest town of any size is probably Bunncrana, which is tiny.

Far stronger field at Gullane this weekend.

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I didn`t see it. Had to put up with spending a brilliant day on the beach in the Algarve :thumsup2

Just watched the highlights. Brilliant stuff.   Tough on Fox but he`ll console himself with an Open spot i guess. 

Fantastic few weeks for Knox after a great show at US Open, 2nd in French Open to clinch a spot in the Open and then winning in such style today. Great stuff.

Eased myself back into the golfing scene after a holiday in Belek, Turkey and watching folk on the absolutely glorious course at our hotel.
Hadn't really played for about 7 years so got my old stuff out my dads shed and went a few times to the driving range. Had my first couple of rounds fairly local, Lochview golf centre (council run course in Coatbridge), then a round at the westerwood, 2 at Torrance Park then a round at Airdrie on Saturday there.
Eased back Into it fairly well and I'll probably be looking to join Airdrie Golf Club next year once I'm right back into it.
In the last 6 weeks I've went from shooting a 101 round the Westerwood, to a couple of low 90 Lochview, an 89 Torrance Park and finishing with an excellent (for me) 82 on the fairly easy Airdrie.
Upgraded my old clubs for a preloved set of Cobra irons, and changed the grip on my old putter to one of they super stroke fatso things and feel it helped me on my first they with it on Saturday there massively.
Like a few on here I usually just have a round myself on a Saturday, whatever hot deals are on teeofftimes app.

Any advice is more than welcome BTW.

Eased myself back into the golfing scene after a holiday in Belek, Turkey and watching folk on the absolutely glorious course at our hotel.
Hadn't really played for about 7 years so got my old stuff out my dads shed and went a few times to the driving range. Had my first couple of rounds fairly local, Lochview golf centre (council run course in Coatbridge), then a round at the westerwood, 2 at Torrance Park then a round at Airdrie on Saturday there.
Eased back Into it fairly well and I'll probably be looking to join Airdrie Golf Club next year once I'm right back into it.
In the last 6 weeks I've went from shooting a 101 round the Westerwood, to a couple of low 90 Lochview, an 89 Torrance Park and finishing with an excellent (for me) 82 on the fairly easy Airdrie.
Upgraded my old clubs for a preloved set of Cobra irons, and changed the grip on my old putter to one of they super stroke fatso things and feel it helped me on my first they with it on Saturday there massively.
Like a few on here I usually just have a round myself on a Saturday, whatever hot deals are on teeofftimes app.

Any advice is more than welcome BTW.

You seem to of hit the ground running and scoring some decent scores for such a playing gap, iv played both lochview and westerwood in the past lochview was a bit of a mess tho, try drumpellier good course and well maintained and members are nice, I'm more of a solo player too and just joined sandyhills this year and iv been playing a lot since but I like to try other courses as much as possible,
Playing dalmahoy east and west on sat/sun quite looking forward to it