Golfers Thread

Gaz

We had the British Boys Amateur at Nairn and Nairn Dunbar last week, with 252 entrants from all over the world it was a full weeks competition with two days of qualifiers, most days had strong west winds, at Nairn except for the short fourth all holes up to the seventh are played into the wind, on the Tuesday into a very strong wind I watched as an Icelandic player took 11 at the par three sixth, most players were at least taking five with many sixes, their problem was that even compensating  for the wind they were driving balls directly into the thick gorse on the right of the green.

So take heart when you know that a scratch player can a hit a bogey 8 there's hope for us all.

We had the British Boys Amateur at Nairn and Nairn Dunbar last week, with 252 entrants from all over the world it was a full weeks competition with two days of qualifiers, most days had strong west winds, at Nairn except for the short fourth all holes up to the seventh are played into the wind, on the Tuesday into a very strong wind I watched as an Icelandic player took 11 at the par three sixth, most players were at least taking five with many sixes, their problem was that even compensating  for the wind they were driving balls directly into the thick gorse on the right of the green.
So take heart when you know that a scratch player can a hit a bogey 8 there's hope for us all.

That's a tough old gig.

I play at a links course and it's felt like it's been blowing a hooly all year.

10 hours ago, mojito said:

That's a tough old gig.

On the day of the final there was not a breath of wind and Pedro Lencart of Portugal beat Falko Hanisch of Germany 5 & 4.

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 19:49, mojito said:

That's a tough old gig.

That's why the Open is always played on Links, it's where the game started and it gives the biggest challenge, you can hit the best of drives but if the ball lands on a typical links bumpy fairway the ball can land anywhere, then it's up to you to come up with the best shot you can into the green.

Years ago a pal of mine, Bill Carlson from San Francisco, we were waiting to tee off at Carnoustie when the starter asked if we would take an extra player on with us, we agreed and we tee's off, Bill and I are average players but this extra American guy tee's a ball off like a Rocket out of a Nasa launching pad, Bill and I looked at each other and thought what the feck have we done, I asked the guy what he played off and it was 2, feck me, he had a Chucky Cheese franchise up by Seattle and his wife had financed his golfing trip.

Carnoustie was his first Scottish Links course and let me tell you that this guy who was so full of get up and go at the start was a feckin wreck by the ninth and totally gobsmacked by the finish, he never said a word for the last four holes and threw his clubs into the boot of the rental car and slammed the lid and sped off.

Don't forget that in competition Sergio Garcia was 32 over after two rounds at Carnoustie.

Edited by SandyCromarty

• 2 weeks later...
Signed up for my first tournament tomorrow on my quest to get an official handicap.

Good luck. I'm sure the guys you are playing with will keep you right, don't worry if you end up with a no return at a hole as they can still work out a score towards your handicap from the rest.

I'm just getting into it this year keeping score of my stats and trying to play at least once a week weather permitting to improve, iv played a few rounds over the years but nothing serious, I started keeping scores from may 2017 122 par 70 I'm now 106 and broke 100 3 times so I'm improving slowly

Anyone use the game golf device

I actually have a full days tuition on wed, I got it through Groupon £19 and that gets me 120mins on the simulator going through my swing ect then 50balls on the range extra £ if I want more then a 9 hole on course lesson, I'm quite looking forward to it

10 hours ago, cas79 said:

I actually have a full days tuition on wed, I got it through Groupon £19 and that gets me 120mins on the simulator going through my swing ect then 50balls on the range extra £ if I want more then a 9 hole on course lesson, I'm quite looking forward to it

Watch out for range balls, at some ranges they are like lumps of concrete which can damage the face of your clubs, always use older clubs on the range as it's your swing you are working on.

Thanks for the advice iv been up at a couple of different driving ranges including the one I'm using on wed and i have encountered that issue, not damaged any equipment yet but you do feel it through the club

Not being funny; but if you are connecting properly you shouldn't be feeling it through club. Also, cue the Kenneth Williams jokes, what shaft are you using; is it stiff? ask your pro which one you should use.
I'd also disagree that range balls damage your equipment; repetitive hitting might and also the range balls kill about 20yards of your distance but shouldn't really have any different effect on clubs. I also wouldn't bring older clubs to range; you should be using the clubs you use.

I think its more of a miss hit when you feel a slight vibration through the shaft rather than the quality of the balls, I use project x 65g stiff in my woods and hybrids and uniflex r/s in my irons 5-s wedge stiff flex in my 60°, I always use my own clubs as that what I use on the course my driver set up on the fitting is stiff flex 10° but I'm hitting a little better when I adjust it down to 9.5°,

I think its more of a miss hit when you feel a slight vibration through the shaft rather than the quality of the balls, I use project x 65g stiff in my woods and hybrids and uniflex r/s in my irons 5-s wedge stiff flex in my 60°, I always use my own clubs as that what I use on the course my driver set up on the fitting is stiff flex 10° but I'm hitting a little better when I adjust it down to 9.5°,

If you are starting out then I'd have between 10 loft with stiff shaft on your driver (more control). I see you are on stiff flex, has the pro advised that? If not can you adjust? A stiffer shaft will give you more control (less agility) but more control. My assumption is you are a beginner based on your scores. If so control of club is key. Keep going m8 your scores will tumble.

Enjoy

The 9.5 works for me I get to much height above that and I'm hitting more Fairway's + iv went up from 220y to 242y,
yes I find reg flex good distance if connected but very uncontrollable, iv not got a pro just had one lesson and another coming up, Iv made some expensive mistakes before I even knew about fittings testing

Sadly I see our Walker Cup team lost heavily to the USA  19 - 7 at the weekend in Los Angeles, I watched some of it on Sky but obviously not impressed by our lads which included three young Scots.

Interestingly Craig Howie of Peebles was down as a reserve, on the first day of  the British Boys championship this year he scored 11 under at Nairn Dunbar on the first qualifying day, on the next day at Nairn during horrendous windy conditions he was 3 over for his round, I watched him at a few holes and even with the weather he played and excellent solid game, don't forget that and on the same day I mentioned earlier that one player took 11 shots at the par three sixth.