Golfers Thread

Gaz

2 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

I tested them in Florida last year and struggled with 5 and 6 iron in terms of generator speed to get a high enough launch.

The fitter essentially told me before I tried them that there's a tiny % of golfers in the world who can benefit because they rely so heavily on consistent striking and ball position which your average weekend golfer doesn't have the time to perfect.

Comparing them to the F7 at the time the F7 was far better suited to me.

I had read that last years offerings were, like you say, coming up short with the low irons in terms of launch.  They have claimed to have addressed this with their F8 version.

The 7 iron is generally one of my best clubs to hit, so the single length does have that appeal for me but I can barely hit a 5 iron as it is so not sure how I'd fair with a shorter shaft.  Will need to give them a bash for myself.

Anyone buy or subscribe to bunkered, decent read and offers good course discounts

I get it delivered every month and have no idea how as I don’t pay for it [emoji23]

It’s a good read there can be some good offers in it, some of the newer issues can be a bit light on content but I still enjoy it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

About 3 months ago I managed to get my handicap down below 10  for the first time in my life, and I seem to be keeping it there. :)

Being older, I struggle with my body at times and as a result I'm lacking in clubhead speed but seem to be keeping it on the fairways better than most. 

Don't panic and keep playing. 

New Picture.bmp

Played my first Wednesday medal of the season today. 3 over to the turn despite being awfully unlucky on the greens. Short missed putt on 10 led to bogey before losing my second shot left at 11 and running up a 7.
Game went to pieces after that... 81 blows [emoji107]

My golf is depressingly bad at the moment. My last 9 or even 10 rounds have seen a 0.1 increase with even the buffer zone being well out of reach. I`m hitting some decent shots but every error seems to attract the severest of punishments. This added to some poor decision making means it`s a struggle at the moment. :(

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My golf is depressingly bad at the moment. My last 9 or even 10 rounds have seen a 0.1 increase with even the buffer zone being well out of reach. I`m hitting some decent shots but every error seems to attract the severest of punishments. This added to some poor decision making means it`s a struggle at the moment. :(

Keep at it.  One half good round is all it takes to turn a corner to get back on track.  

Anyone at a loose end on 10 June, the Greenock Open will be taking place. Course in fantastic shape and the prizes for the Greenock Open are hard to beat. Details below -

The timesheet for the 2018 Greenock Open is now open for entries. This is a great time for this year's competition with the course in outstanding condition and the exceptional weather likely to continue. As usual, we have fantastic cash prizes in each section as well as an amazing array of spot prizes on every hole including a holiday to Portugal, a set of irons and £5,000 cash! Entry is just £12 and tee times may be booked directly at www.greenockgolfclub.co.uk or through the secretary. We hope you can join us!

Greenock Open 10.06.18.JPG

On 27/05/2018 at 04:50, expatowner said:

Keep at it.  One half good round is all it takes to turn a corner to get back on track.  

Hopefully you are correct because I played really well today (albeit with no card in hand).

Out in 37 and home in 41 for a gross 78 (net 70). :P

Hopefully the start of a decent spell.

My golf is depressingly bad at the moment. My last 9 or even 10 rounds have seen a 0.1 increase with even the buffer zone being well out of reach. I`m hitting some decent shots but every error seems to attract the severest of punishments. This added to some poor decision making means it`s a struggle at the moment. [emoji20]

I'm feeling this pain entirely just now.

Played Strathmore today, first time I've been there. 110, 55 in and out. First 7 holes were fairly good, then 8 and 9 saw an 8 and 10. 7s on 4 of the next 5 holes fucked any chance of hitting under a ton.

I'm actually pretty happy with it, given my last outing was a 143.

Got my annual trip/piss up to Arran next weekend and I've not played since Florida last October.  Aiming to get out early before work tomorrow and get 18 in round Rouken Glen before the course opens.

I do not expect to break 100.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Another frustrating round at the weekend. After starting with three 4s, I was unable to find my ball in the semi rough at the fourth and, with another game on the tee, didn't want to run back. 10 pars in the remaining 14 holes got me a stableford adjusted hold. Pretty confident I'd have scored had I been able to find the ball.

Playing the Pairs Open the following day, one of my partners played his ball to a similar area and I advised him he'd have no chance of finding his as I had lost mine in the same spot yesterday. Needless to say he found mine sitting right down in the turf before finding his own. Mental that nobody in the 3 hours worth of tee times after me found it/picked it up.

Edited by Cowshed Chris

18 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Got my annual trip/piss up to Arran next weekend and I've not played since Florida last October.  Aiming to get out early before work tomorrow and get 18 in round Rouken Glen before the course opens.

I do not expect to break 100.

89.  Pleasantly surprised.  Had one utter shitemare trying to get out a bunker, but nothing too horrific by my standards other than that.  

On 6/1/2018 at 07:27, KnightswoodBear said:

89.  Pleasantly surprised.  Had one utter shitemare trying to get out a bunker, but nothing too horrific by my standards other than that.  

Went out again this morning and came in with 81.  Started off really badly, but my scoring didn't reflect how horribly I was playing, luckily.  Finished the round getting par on 4 of the last 5 holes.  Should have got par on all 5, but a stupid missed short putt on the 15th ruined that. 

Disaster - my 3 wood shaft somehow broke in my backswing last night. Strangely it’s under the grip about 4 in he’s from the end of the club.
It’s not a new club but I hit it well. Someone mentioned that American Golf or the likes can fix this by putting an extension on it, no idea if this is correct. Any idea if this can be done and, if so, the likely cost?

Played last week with a distant relative who’s on a golf scholarship at college.
Needless to say I was totally embarrassed but chatting to him he’s effectively a professional in all but being able to take prize money, but all his fees, expenses at college are paid.
My question, can he really be called an amateur?

BTW he carded a 65 I carded a “generous” 103