Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played last week for the first time this year.  Have had neck and shoulder problems and this is the first i've felt up to playing.

The neck and shoulder held up fine, my game did not.  I've always been a slicer, but it's been getting worse and was by far the worst it's ever been.  It's got to the point where absolutely nothing I do makes any difference.  I can see what the problem is in that i've developed a huge outside-in swing.  My divots are almost always pointing towards 10 o'clock.

I need to try and sort it out somehow or i'm going to end up chucking it as it's just sapping any enjoyment I get from playing.

Another high profile penalty dished out by the LPGA in one of their majors yesterday.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/39476590
The two shot penalty for signing a wrong card seems very harsh but for her to place the marker beside the ball rather than behind it is a ridiculous mistake to make.

The whole thing with people emailing and phoning in is getting farcical. How long do you wait? What if the email had come in after the final round was over? What if it is days or weeks later?

She definitely deserves the two shot penalty as she blatantly puts the ball back in the wrong place. The penalty for signing the wrong score is a bit harder to figure out though as the score she signed for at the time was the right one as far as she and everyone else was concerned.

Started the season with a 80-11 69 on Saturday. Birdie on the first hole of the season, all downhill from there! Very happy with my short game but not happy at all off the tee or fairway.

Made a few nice up and downs to save par, 32 putts overall. Only made 44% greens in regulation(according to howdidido) so short game saved me. 3 birdies and 3 doubles or worse.

Nice little 0.6 cut to start the season, taking me from 11.2 to 10.6 so still playing off 11. Missing a lot right so going to have to work on that, maybe get to the range through the week.

The hunt for single figures begins. The course was about as long as it could be on Saturday tees were right back for the first week of the season.

Started the season with a 80-11 69 on Saturday. Birdie on the first hole of the season, all downhill from there! Very happy with my short game but not happy at all off the tee or fairway.

Made a few nice up and downs to save par, 32 putts overall. Only made 44% greens in regulation(according to howdidido) so short game saved me. 3 birdies and 3 doubles or worse.

Nice little 0.6 cut to start the season, taking me from 11.2 to 10.6 so still playing off 11. Missing a lot right so going to have to work on that, maybe get to the range through the week.

The hunt for single figures begins. The course was about as long as it could be on Saturday tees were right back for the first week of the season.

Good start my man.

My first medal was buffer. It's been 0.1 every year before that though.

Was up at monifieth on Saturday. Course was in cracking condition and my golf was solid so all in all a good day.

How did you get on? That's where I play, course in decent condition - thought the greens were a bit slow on Saturday but I made a lot of putts so can't complain.

How did you get on? That's where I play, course in decent condition - thought the greens were a bit slow on Saturday but I made a lot of putts so can't complain.

Greens were just the right pace for my iffy putting.

Was a club match that we won 5&4. Thinned an absolute stinker to about 5ft on 5 (short par 4 that takes you up towards panmure) and absolutely stole a birdie. Felt bad.

The whole thing with people emailing and phoning in is getting farcical. How long do you wait? What if the email had come in after the final round was over? What if it is days or weeks later?

She definitely deserves the two shot penalty as she blatantly puts the ball back in the wrong place. The penalty for signing the wrong score is a bit harder to figure out though as the score she signed for at the time was the right one as far as she and everyone else was concerned.

If they want to use TV footage (which is unfair itself as some players are shown more than others) then surely they should just have a rules official or officials who analyse the TV footage as it comes in.

Making rulings based upon information provided by TV viewers should be banned completely.

Played in Medal yesterday and can`t ever remember playing so poorly :(

Lost 2 balls on the front nine and had NRd by the 7th. Woeful stuff. First par of the day on 13 and then bizarrely had 3 more on 14, 16 and 17.

The 0.1 increase takes me back up to 8 (7.5).

Fecking golf.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Lost 2 balls on the front nine and had NRd by the 7th. Woeful stuff. First par of the day on 13 and then bizarrely had 3 more on 14, 16 and 17.

Fecking golf.

Hiya Jordan, hi pal :ph34r:

Really enjoying my golf just now...

Joined society at work, included some lessons. Always been fairly decent off tee.. carry about 230yrds, but found another 20 through lessons... by using more of a body twist than just relying mostly on arms.. makes big difference. Played off 16 when younger, but stopped playing for about a decade.. hoping to get right back into it.. and maybe single figures one day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2017 at 12:08, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fecking golf.

Much better today. 81-8 for a net 73. CSS looking like 73 so no gain but no damage either.

Birdied 9 to be out in 42 then played a very decent back 9 of 39 (3 over).

Was off work for nearly two weeks and managed to play a couple of different courses.

Fereneze in Barrhead. Pretty hilly but a good track and some nice holes. Got plenty of run on the tight moorland fairways which made it a bit kinder on a windy day. My best round of late with a 91 but with dreadful putting.

Lochgelly, nice wee course. Only paid £10 for my round and it was money well spent. A tight course and I didn't hit very straight but thought greens were in good nick for the time of year and the cost. Very quiet and played with a couple of very friendly members which was good. Putting was spot on, only 33 putts. Shame about the rest of my game!

Falkland, really flat and pretty short 9 hole village course which I played round twice. Thought it was quite fun and a bit of a confidence booster after some rotten play of late. Second hole was shortened to a par 4 because of an ongoing football match on a pitch which forms part of the hole!

Airthrey/Stirling Uni, little 9 hole par 3 course. My girlfriend has been wanting to try golf for a while so we went up here for a knock round. Was really busy but a nicely kept little course which was good fun. Nearly got my first hole in one! Hit onto the back of the green, rolled back down and must have circled the cup.

Balbardie, Bathgate, as above. Little par 3 9 hole course. Was only 4 bucks, good fun and in decent condition given the cash. Would probably play it again before the one up at Stirling.

Was off work for nearly two weeks and managed to play a couple of different courses.
Fereneze in Barrhead. Pretty hilly but a good track and some nice holes. Got plenty of run on the tight moorland fairways which made it a bit kinder on a windy day. My best round of late with a 91 but with dreadful putting.
Lochgelly, nice wee course. Only paid £10 for my round and it was money well spent. A tight course and I didn't hit very straight but thought greens were in good nick for the time of year and the cost. Very quiet and played with a couple of very friendly members which was good. Putting was spot on, only 33 putts. Shame about the rest of my game!
Falkland, really flat and pretty short 9 hole village course which I played round twice. Thought it was quite fun and a bit of a confidence booster after some rotten play of late. Second hole was shortened to a par 4 because of an ongoing football match on a pitch which forms part of the hole!
Airthrey/Stirling Uni, little 9 hole par 3 course. My girlfriend has been wanting to try golf for a while so we went up here for a knock round. Was really busy but a nicely kept little course which was good fun. Nearly got my first hole in one! Hit onto the back of the green, rolled back down and must have circled the cup.
Balbardie, Bathgate, as above. Little par 3 9 hole course. Was only 4 bucks, good fun and in decent condition given the cash. Would probably play it again before the one up at Stirling.

I've refereed a game on that pitch at Falkland. Bizarre set up. Would like to go and play the course as well.