Official P&b Cycling Thread

On 04/06/2018 at 17:41, Unleash The Nade said:

Following this up, any one else here had problems with Look pedals ?

I’ve heard a few others say they’ve had similar problems and wondering if I should change brand 

I tried road pedals (Looks) for a while but I prefer the SPD touring pedals as they are double sided.

Anyway, I never had any issue with the Looks coming loose and due to the threads right hand and left hand they really shouldn't slacken off.

Maybe a wee dash of thread lock on them is worth a try before splashing the cash?

3 minutes ago, broon-loon said:

I tried road pedals (Looks) for a while but I prefer the SPD touring pedals as they are double sided.

Anyway, I never had any issue with the Looks coming loose and due to the threads right hand and left hand they really shouldn't slacken off.

Maybe a wee dash of thread lock on them is worth a try before splashing the cash?

The pedal never came loose, it totally separated from the central spindle which was still attached to the crank.

Which is the same problem others have had 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

That's my new bike collected, and wow - what a difference in ride position to a hybrid. I don't feel like I'm sitting up and begging anymore :lol:

The brakes and gears will take a bit of getting used to and I'll also need to figure out the best position for my hands. This is my first drop bar bike so I'm not used to the different positions, and holding what I believe are called the hoods was starting to hurt at the base of my thumb. Is that something I'll get used to and it soon won't hurt anymore (like sitting on a saddle) or am I doing it wrong? 

That's my new bike collected, and wow - what a difference in ride position to a hybrid. I don't feel like I'm sitting up and begging anymore :lol:
The brakes and gears will take a bit of getting used to and I'll also need to figure out the best position for my hands. This is my first drop bar bike so I'm not used to the different positions, and holding what I believe are called the hoods was starting to hurt at the base of my thumb. Is that something I'll get used to and it soon won't hurt anymore (like sitting on a saddle) or am I doing it wrong? 

I'm going to look at a drop bar Salsa this weekend (if the guy from Craigslist ever phones me back) - first time on drops and on 29s. I'm a bit scared.

2 hours ago, The Master said:

Could be set up putting to much pressure on your wrists\hands but also riding on the hoods does tend to build callouses on my thumbs. 

This is approximately what you should be looking for in terms of position:

bikefit.png

12 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I never actually got my Boardman fitted.  I just bought a standard size and changed it myself.  I should probably look into getting this done.

Lots of good videos on YouTube will show you how to do this and save yourself a lot of money 

I've purchased my first bike in years and will be picking it up today. It's nothing fancy, just a basic hybrid for bombing it up to Loch Lomond and using along the cycle path for mostly fitness purposes.

The last time I tried to get into it (using a fairly shitty old mountain bike that my cousin was chucking) I actually gave it up due to the extreme soreness in my arse. I tried a gel seat, padded shorts, the lot and nothing seemed to help. My arse felt that bruised I was spending my day squirming in work moaning about it. Can anyone recommend some decent padded shorts that aren't hugely expensive? Any other tips for avoiding the arse soreness?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The last time I tried to get into it (using a fairly shitty old mountain bike that my cousin was chucking) I actually gave it up due to the extreme soreness in my arse. I tried a gel seat, padded shorts, the lot and nothing seemed to help. My arse felt that bruised I was spending my day squirming in work moaning about it. Can anyone recommend some decent padded shorts that aren't hugely expensive? Any other tips for avoiding the arse soreness?

Like you I also struggle and have tried different saddles and shorts with little success.

My latest saddle I bought because it's a wee bit wider ( I did the bone measure thing on a bit cardboard) and that has helped a bit.

I also bought Decathlons thickest padded shorts, they're meant for 50+ mile rides and they also help a bit.

A mate of mine was told by some of his cycle buddies to try DHB padded shorts from Wiggle so will probably try them next?

Sadly, I don't think there is an easy or instant fix? :lol:

Edited by broon-loon
Typo

11 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've purchased my first bike in years and will be picking it up today. It's nothing fancy, just a basic hybrid for bombing it up to Loch Lomond and using along the cycle path for mostly fitness purposes.

Make sure your saddles the right height and distance from handlebars ( you can find guides on YouTube)

With regards to padded shorts , I’d say they’re a must for long miles and it’s very much the old story of , you get  what you pay for.

As broon-loon says, some of the DHB ones from Wiggle are decent.

If you’re prepared to be a wee bit more , go for ones with gel padded inserts as opposed to foam.

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Make sure your saddles the right height and distance from handlebars ( you can find guides on YouTube)
With regards to padded shorts , I’d say they’re a must for long miles and it’s very much the old story of , you get  what you pay for.
As broon-loon says, some of the DHB ones from Wiggle are decent.
If you’re prepared to be a wee bit more , go for ones with gel padded inserts as opposed to foam.
I've just ordered a pair of 'DHB Classic' shorts from Wiggle. Nae idea if they are gel or foam mind you, I'm guessing they are foam based on the price (45 quid). I also ordered a cheapish gel saddle cover to help with the first couple of months, it's something I'm keen to use sparingly until my arse develops a heel like layer of thick hardened cyclist skin.

Planning a 30 miler up Loch Lomond on Saturday morning to kick things off so here's hoping the old derriere holds up.

53 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've just ordered a pair of 'DHB Classic' shorts from Wiggle. Nae idea if they are gel or foam mind you, I'm guessing they are foam based on the price (45 quid). I also ordered a cheapish gel saddle cover to help with the first couple of months, it's something I'm keen to use sparingly until my arse develops a heel like layer of thick hardened cyclist skin.

Planning a 30 miler up Loch Lomond on Saturday morning to kick things off so here's hoping the old derriere holds up.

You can also try doubling up on shorts to get twice the padding. 

Anyone doing the Suie Classic/Great Inverurie run this weekend. I’m just doing the 25 miler as I’ve to chaperone my mate who is still in rehab after his stroke. Very little training since Loch Ness as I stupidly thought that a game of 5-a-side would be a good idea and injured my knee after 10 minutes! I decided it was time to announce my retirement from football shortly afterwards!

Anyone doing the Suie Classic/Great Inverurie run this weekend. I’m just doing the 25 miler as I’ve to chaperone my mate who is still in rehab after his stroke. Very little training since Loch Ness as I stupidly thought that a game of 5-a-side would be a good idea and injured my knee after 10 minutes! I decided it was time to announce my retirement from football shortly afterwards!

Shite, I totally forgot about it. They still taking entries?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

3 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Shite, I totally forgot about it. They still taking entries?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I’m pretty sure they are online

https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/leisure-sport-and-culture/sport-and-fitness/sports-events/the-great-inverurie-bike-ride/

Edited by statts1976uk

3 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Noooooooooo

All it does is create  extra friction and sweating 

If you wear padded cycle shorts you should go commando 

That's what people kept telling me, but I was getting pretty bad chafing anyway.  Eventually I decided to wear tight cotton boxers under the shorts and that has virtually solved the problem.

8 hours ago, Gnash said:

That's what people kept telling me, but I was getting pretty bad chafing anyway.  Eventually I decided to wear tight cotton boxers under the shorts and that has virtually solved the problem.

This helps lots :)

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Udderly-Smooth-Chamois-Anti-Chaffing-Cream_35668.htm?sku=84247&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sWvzpv46m_dm|pcrid|43133759573|product|84247|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6r58sDN2wIVT7ftCh2CCwelEAQYBCABEgIMWfD_BwE