Official P&b Cycling Thread

20 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

I’m taking part in the Etape too and nowhere near where I want to be with training. My gym work is fine but I really need on saddle time but work and weather are conspiring against me. When do the start times come out?

From my vague recollection of last year, they were emailed out a week or two before the event. IIRC Category A started at 06:15 ish

Did the Loch Ness one a couple of years ago and loved it, though I was gubbed in the closing stages. Got stuck on my own and just had groups speeding by that I couldn't tag onto the back of. Only satisfying bit was going up the hill out of Dores and passing loads of folk.

I'm in for the Caledonia for the first time this year in May, so starting to get into it again. Anyone who's done both and can compare for me?

A 26 mile loop around Peniciuk and back was meant to be followed by 52 miles from St Andrews to Edinburgh, but came off the bike at a roundabout in Kirkcaldy and knackered it beyond my capabilities and had to take the carcass on the train. Still, was a decent spot for it to happen!

I'll get the mended, upgraded version back tomorrow; Glasgow to Edinburgh planned for next weekend.

3 hours ago, morrison said:

Did the Loch Ness one a couple of years ago and loved it, though I was gubbed in the closing stages. Got stuck on my own and just had groups speeding by that I couldn't tag onto the back of. Only satisfying bit was going up the hill out of Dores and passing loads of folk.

I'm in for the Caledonia for the first time this year in May, so starting to get into it again. Anyone who's done both and can compare for me?

A 26 mile loop around Peniciuk and back was meant to be followed by 52 miles from St Andrews to Edinburgh, but came off the bike at a roundabout in Kirkcaldy and knackered it beyond my capabilities and had to take the carcass on the train. Still, was a decent spot for it to happen!

I'll get the mended, upgraded version back tomorrow; Glasgow to Edinburgh planned for next weekend.

Glasgow to Edinburgh is a good one, I normally do that as part of Pedal For Scotland. I’ve never done the Caledonia but I’m planning on doing Suie Classic in Inverurie and PoppyScotland.

Glasgow to Edinburgh is a good one, I normally do that as part of Pedal For Scotland. I’ve never done the Caledonia but I’m planning on doing Suie Classic in Inverurie and PoppyScotland.
Might have a bash at Glasgow to Edinburgh this year. Tour o the Borders also, I believe dodging elderly arsehole farmers is included as part of the entry fee.

Anyone know of some decent MTB XC events in Scotland? The Galloway Gallop got binned this year.

6 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

You've got me looking at the Suie Classic now as well - I've friends up in Alford I could stay with and have heard a few stories about the Suie too!

Yeah, I did the Pedal for Scotland a few years ago when it still finished at Murrayfield; it's not quite so appealing now the finish has moved out of town, but I do like the idea of tackling the longer route when I've got a bit more mileage in the legs.

11 hours ago, morrison said:

You've got me looking at the Suie Classic now as well - I've friends up in Alford I could stay with and have heard a few stories about the Suie too!

Yeah, I did the Pedal for Scotland a few years ago when it still finished at Murrayfield; it's not quite so appealing now the finish has moved out of town, but I do like the idea of tackling the longer route when I've got a bit more mileage in the legs.

I haven’t seen the Edinburgh Night Ride on the calendar this year, I’m not sure if that’s because Meadowbank is closed. That’s normally not a bad one but it is open roads.

What we need are some more closed road events this summer, maybe a few more central ones in Perthshire, Strathclyde and Fife. I am thinking about doing the Ochil Hills one but not sure if that’s closed road.

https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/ochil-hills-100-sportive/

negative feedback in 5.4.3.2.1....

ETA: and there is our favourite Walter Mitty cyclist stalker almost on cue!

Edited by statts1976uk

Out cycling with area tonight and a car passed so close to me it’s wing mirror hit my elbow and the driver  failed to stop.

Driver reported and will hopefully get charged with dangerous driving.

We need to start reporting these total p***ks 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

10 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Out cycling with area tonight and a car passed so close to me it’s wing mirror hit my elbow and the driver  failed to stop.

Did it knock you off the bike?

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

No injuries though I hope, I think I’m going to invest in a rear light with a camera and start using the go pro got the front.

2 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Sounds similar to all your previous fables.    It's always everyone else's fault and never the fault of a cat 5 offender!   

"The car drove towards my bike"        "I only hit him 50 times because he was asking for it, he was holding his car keys".     

It's folk like UTN that make us super proud of our road safety efforts.    #cast  #roadsafety  #fantasycyclist  

7 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

No injuries though I hope, I think I’m going to invest in a rear light with a camera and start using the go pro got the front.

No, thankfully, but the next person might not be so lucky if this idiot isn’t reported and dealt with by the police and hopefully charged .

Talking of idiots , it’s good to see we’re still keeping the pathetic , attention seeking , red-dotting creepy stalker busy :D

#sadexistence #missingmoira

53 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

No, thankfully, but the next person might not be so lucky if this idiot isn’t reported and dealt with by the police and hopefully charged .

Talking of idiots , it’s good to see we’re still keeping the pathetic , attention seeking , red-dotting creepy stalker busy :D

#sadexistence #missingmoira

I hope so, the roads are there for everyone and if these drivers can’t follow the law then they must be punished. 

I’m surprised he has the time to spend on the cycling forum what with driving 4-5 hours everyday, advising multi-national companies and making up surveys!

I’ve found a company that will print cycling tops so I might get one to promote my new cycling body for the Ochil Hills race, I’m going to call it Cycling Advisory Support Team or C.A.S.T. for short!

Red dot in 5,4,3,2,1....

I cycled from the RAH in Paisley back to Queen Street station yesterday. Only 12 miles or so but the first 6 are on cycle paths. The cycle along Paisley Road West was interesting. A mixture of pot holes and rush hour traffic.
All in all good to get some miles in after the crap weather.

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Delighted to see Scotland win their second gold at The Commonwealth Games today , both in cycling .

No wonder it’s the UKs fastest growing sport 

They are saying it’s the new golf, obviously the kit is more expensive but it’s how a lot of people are networking. It’s no coincidence that golf courses are closing down and more and more people are spending good money on a bike.

On 03/04/2018 at 19:33, jupe1407 said:

Might have a bash at Glasgow to Edinburgh this year. Tour o the Borders also, I believe dodging elderly arsehole farmers is included as part of the entry fee.

Anyone know of some decent MTB XC events in Scotland? The Galloway Gallop got binned this year.

http://bikeeventsscotland.com/events-listing-page/cat_mountain/