Official P&b Cycling Thread

8 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Cracking bike

I bought a Bianchi Intenso with Durace from LBS about 18 months ago and love it

I added Mavic Kyserium wheels which are phenomenal for the price 

Good luck 

The Intenso is a lovely bike, great choice. I preferred that to the Oltre XR4 when I tried it. I’m a bit concerned that the geometry is a bit too much on the aggressive side on the Aria for my riding style but I’m also hoping to try out a S-Works Venge as well.

Edited by statts1976uk
Spelling

1 minute ago, statts1976uk said:

The Intenso is a lovely bike, great choice. I preferred that to the Oltre XR4 when I tried it. I’m a bit concerned that the geometry is a bit too much on the aggressive side for my riding style but I’m also hoping to try out a S-Works Venge as well.

The Venge is a cracking bike but very much a race bike.

If you go on long runs you’ll suffer after it 

Just now, Unleash The Nade said:

The Venge is a cracking bike but very much a race bike.

If you go on long runs you’ll suffer after it 

That’s my concern but I’m planning on keeping my Cannondale SuperSix for that, I doubt I will be doing the Etape Loch Ness on either the S-Works or Bianchi but I really want a fast bike for those 20-30 miles bursts.

The other option is that I’ll buy neither and end up ordering a track bike as I’m heading to the Hoy Velodrome the day before for a session and I’ll still be buzzing after that! I’m deliberately not looking online at them as I know what’ll happen!

44 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

Pedals are very much a subjective affair as there are different types of cleats to fit into the pedals, it’s a waste for manufacturers to fit them as they generally get binned if they are not the right ones.

Saddles are usually generally higher on aero, TT and road bikes as it gives the most efficient position. 

I appreciate that you are trying to be funny but there are genuine reasons why bikes are set up like that.

Good posting, thanks. 

12 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Pedals are very much a subjective affair as there are different types of cleats to fit into the pedals, it’s a waste for manufacturers to fit them as they generally get binned if they are not the right ones.

Saddles are usually generally higher on aero, TT and road bikes as it gives the most efficient position. 

I appreciate that you are trying to be funny but there are genuine reasons why bikes are set up like that.

Just don't try and explain dropper posts to him...

51 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

Anyone used recyke a bike in Stirling before? I've been pondering getting a bike so I can cycle to work every now and then and wasn't wanting to spend silly money on one.

Not personally but I’ve heard they’re ok 

Can I ask how much you’re looking to spend as you might be able to pick up a new one 

Anyone else tackled the Gaick Pass mtb route? Fucking hell. Took Thursday off for it, good start with a steady ascent up to the ruined lodged about 6 miles in, before about two miles of carrying/failing across shitey, boggy dangerous singletrack, during which my chainring took a f**k-off gouge out of my calf, before a long and glorious descent, eventually to Kingussie. The cycle back from there to the Drumochter summit was absolute torture into drizzle and a gusting headwind, before a fast descent down the 7 miles to Dalnacardoch. 

Hard going, but definitely worth it in dry, not too-windy conditions. The route also passes the Newtonmore Grille, which is the greatest food-stop in the known universe. 

6 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Anyone else tackled the Gaick Pass mtb route? Fucking hell. Took Thursday off for it, good start with a steady ascent up to the ruined lodged about 6 miles in, before about two miles of carrying/failing across shitey, boggy dangerous singletrack, during which my chainring took a f**k-off gouge out of my calf, before a long and glorious descent, eventually to Kingussie. The cycle back from there to the Drumochter summit was absolute torture into drizzle and a gusting headwind, before a fast descent down the 7 miles to Dalnacardoch. 

Sounds like a great day out.   

22 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

Went to the Leslie Bike Shop demo day today and spent a lot of money on clothing but didn’t pull the trigger on the Bianchi. I had another go on it and liked it a bit more but still had that little nagging doubt that it’s not for me.

What’s it down to now for choice ?

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

What’s it down to now for choice ?

The Bianchi is still in the mix as I do like it and it seems to be growing on me. I didn’t get a go of a venge yesterday as he didn’t have one in stock. I’m going to ponder over it and see what the other retailers are offering in the Black Friday deals. 

Andy had lots of Castelli stuff reduced from £90/£100 down to £20 but by the time I got there most of it had gone.

1 hour ago, statts1976uk said:

The Bianchi is still in the mix as I do like it and it seems to be growing on me. I didn’t get a go of a venge yesterday as he didn’t have one in stock. I’m going to ponder over it and see what the other retailers are offering in the Black Friday deals. 

Andy had lots of Castelli stuff reduced from £90/£100 down to £20 but by the time I got there most of it had gone.

Won’t he give  you a deal ?

Edited by Unleash The Nade

11 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Won’t he give  you a deal ?

Yeah I’ll get a good deal, I usually do especially as I also get the kids bikes from there. I’m just wanting this bike to be the right one. I’ve got the MTB, the winter hack, the race bike and the Aria or similar would be for more speed work.  I’m running out of space in the bike shed with my three, my son’s two and my daughter’s two!

1 minute ago, statts1976uk said:

Yeah I’ll get a good deal, I usually do especially as I also get the kids bikes from there. I’m just wanting this bike to be the right one. I’ve got the MTB, the winter hack, the race bike and the Aria or similar would be for more speed work.  I’m running out of space in the bike shed with my three, my son’s two and my daughter’s two!

All these bikes and cars.

Us cyclists do rather well :)

17 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

All these bikes and cars.

Us cyclists do rather well :)

We certainly do! I’m looking at about £3k budget for this one and if I can get a deal then so much the better but I would like Di2 on it.

I see our resident stalker is out and about tonight!