Official P&b Cycling Thread

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Good Question. I haven't really got one yet. I don't wanna go overboard but I will see what I can get for a reasonable price.

To be honest mate the best way to start is set a maximum budget you're prepared to go to then work from that , otherwise your head will be nipping 

By setting a budget folk here can give you sound advice on what to get and where to buy it 

Edited by Unleash The Nade

On 26/06/2017 at 14:36, lichtie23 said:

Any info about Turbo Trainers lads?

4 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

I agree 

Never been into them myself to be honest, find them tedious as f**k.

I think i may be tempted into getting one of these as well. I'm fairly scunnered with what has been a fucking shite wet and windy summer so far, so I'm tempted to invest in a Smart Trainer / Zwift combo. It'll also be good through the winter as it'll keep me fit for next year. It can't be any more boring than Spin classes 3x a week. 

I think i may be tempted into getting one of these as well. I'm fairly scunnered with what has been a fucking shite wet and windy summer so far, so I'm tempted to invest in a Smart Trainer / Zwift combo. It'll also be good through the winter as it'll keep me fit for next year. It can't be any more boring than Spin classes 3x a week. 

I decided I was going to get mega fit this winter so I pushed the boat out and bought a ProForm Tour de France 5 trainer.

They have pretty horrific reliability reviews, particularly in the past, but I thought I'd take a chance.

It duly arrived and I assembled it in an excited frenzy. Got my drinks sorted, towel, TV remote at hand, Lycra on etc. Did the warm up then set off on one of the pre loaded T de F stages. Disaster - the bike is meant to tilt forward and back as you incline and decline. Mine didn't - stuck in the flat level position. Phoned them up, emailed them etc and after about 10 days they got back to me. We will investigate and get back to you. I kept riding it, and it's actually a really good trainer with the friction adjusting pretty seamlessly to the terrain. The pre loaded routes are pretty good and you can map your own routes but this requires an iFit pro subscription (it came with the basic iFit free or a year). However after about 2 and a 1/2 weeks it jammed in the fully tipped forward position.

Cut a long story short it went back to them.

A pretty good, if expensive device, spoilt by a poor build process, shitey customer service and desire to filch more money out of you by the crazy link up to iFit.

+1 for 25mm tyres (look no further than continental GP4000's)

+1 for Mavic Kyserium wheels - all the wheel 99% of cyclists will ever need

5 hours ago, Fifespud said:

I decided I was going to get mega fit this winter so I pushed the boat out and bought a ProForm Tour de France 5 trainer.

They have pretty horrific reliability reviews, particularly in the past, but I thought I'd take a chance.

It duly arrived and I assembled it in an excited frenzy. Got my drinks sorted, towel, TV remote at hand, Lycra on etc. Did the warm up then set off on one of the pre loaded T de F stages. Disaster - the bike is meant to tilt forward and back as you incline and decline. Mine didn't - stuck in the flat level position. Phoned them up, emailed them etc and after about 10 days they got back to me. We will investigate and get back to you. I kept riding it, and it's actually a really good trainer with the friction adjusting pretty seamlessly to the terrain. The pre loaded routes are pretty good and you can map your own routes but this requires an iFit pro subscription (it came with the basic iFit free or a year). However after about 2 and a 1/2 weeks it jammed in the fully tipped forward position.

Cut a long story short it went back to them.

A pretty good, if expensive device, spoilt by a poor build process, shitey customer service and desire to filch more money out of you by the crazy link up to iFit.

+1 for 25mm tyres (look no further than continental GP4000's)

+1 for Mavic Kyserium wheels - all the wheel 99% of cyclists will ever need

You can get all these experiences and more for free .... out on the road ;)

17 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Cycling part of the west highland way tomorrow, tyndrum to kingshouse, with probably a few detours to add some miles before getting pished 

I walked that section last summer and some of it was barely fit for a mountain goat between Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy. Not sure if there are alternative routes for bikes? I had been thinking of cycling some of the WHW too but that has put me off a bit.

On 03/07/2017 at 21:42, Zetterlund said:

I walked that section last summer and some of it was barely fit for a mountain goat between Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy. Not sure if there are alternative routes for bikes? I had been thinking of cycling some of the WHW too but that has put me off a bit.

Back earlier today and it was brilliant 

Theres only about a stretch of 200 metres before you go through the wee tunnel under the railway line that's unsuitable

Managed to cycle the rest both ways

12 hours ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Having watched the recent Lions tour, the events of today's TDF and other cycling classics, it just reinforces what  overpaid, pampered, egotistical pussies the majority of footballers are 

Watching people riding around on bikes or chasing eggs isn't exactly entertaining though. You get paid by the audience, not the effort. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Watching people riding around on bikes or chasing eggs isn't exactly entertaining though. You bet paid by the audience, not the effort. 

The entertainment issue is a matter of opinion tbh, but I still stand by my other observations 

IMG_7571.JPG.051c93cd845ce0b07ab3b7450cbf9cf9.JPG

Edited by Unleash The Nade

It's a bollocks argument tbh. Footballers pretend to be injured because there's a potential advantage in it. Rugby players don't do it because there is zero advantage to it. I don't think holding up Professional Cycling as some sort moral "we're better than footballers" argument is a particularly good idea given recent history :lol:

The bottom line is that professional athletes will do whatever it takes to gain an edge, whether it be footballers play acting to get another player carded, egg-chasers engaging in nefarious scrum activities, or pro cyclists firing into EPO. 

Worst of all, this sort of stuff will only encourage PB to keeping coming onto this thread.

18 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

It's a bollocks argument tbh. Footballers pretend to be injured because there's a potential advantage in it. Rugby players don't do it because there is zero advantage to it. I don't think holding up Professional Cycling as some sort moral "we're better than footballers" argument is a particularly good idea given recent history :lol:

The bottom line is that professional athletes will do whatever it takes to gain an edge, whether it be footballers play acting to get another player carded, egg-chasers engaging in nefarious scrum activities, or pro cyclists firing into EPO. 

Worst of all, this sort of stuff will only encourage PB to keeping coming onto this thread.

Fair points tbh with exception of the last one .

However, apart from being rather tedious , his infatuation  with this thread and dare I say it , his obsession with stalking me and giving me continual  red dots is hilarious but also actually becoming a bit creepy 

..... and cue ...............

1 minute ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Fair points tbh with exception of the last one .

However, apart from being rather tedious , his infatuation  with this thread and dare I say it , his obsession with stalking me and giving me continual  red dots is hilarious but also actually becoming a bit creepy 

..... and cue ...............

I suspect he's not exactly playing with a full deck of cards.